Moto E4 crashed, home and notifications buttons don't work, calls go straight to voicemail, etc

prufroc8

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
I have a relatively new Moto E4, I have had it for about 6 weeks. Earlier this week while I driving I saw that there was some message that kept repeating, then the phone rebooted. Since then, there has been a constellation of symptoms occurring that I have found described in a few other posts, it is hard to find information overall due to the problem being rare and the symptoms overlapping with a lot of other issues:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G...-and-lock-screen-not-work/td-p/3255406/page/4

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/notification-bar-recent-and-home-button-not-working.681154/

https://thegloor.com/how-to-fix-home-key-recent-key-and-notification-bar-not-working/

Symptoms include that the home and notifications buttons don't work, the android settings menu is not fully accessible, calls go straight to voicemail, notifications are not given on the phone (and thus I would not know if I received a call and voicemail), etc. It appears at this point it is a general problem that can occur with the android operating system. For anyone who might suggest, it is not a screen error, I did not do anything or install any new app, etc.

On other threads the most consistent solution I have seen involved regards installing the Nova Launcher and opening the Setupwizardtestactivity process. Problem is, this does option not show for me in Nova launcher. I have tried a bunch of other options in Nova Launcher with no success.

The ultimate issue for me personally is that all my text messages from the past 6 weeks cannot be accessed. They do not show up in messenger. I need to save these messages, because I am getting divorced and there is a lot of very important documentation that has been texted back and forth. If I can restore my phone to working status, then I would back up my texts and do a factory reset. I don't want to do a factory reset at this point and lose my data though. So one question is whether there are other successful methods for restoring functionality. So far I have not found any, I have cleared the cache partition and other recommended steps such as booting into safe mode.

The second avenue I am trying to explore is whether there are other methods for saving the text messages. I have tried to find a specific file on the phone, no luck. I cannot access the phone on my computer, one of the symptoms of this problem is that the settings menu is truncated. So I cannot access the option to change from usb charge to usb file transfer. Which has me at a dead end in terms of transferring data.

Out of frustration, I am posting to see if there are other ideas and solutions I might be missing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. In the end, saving the texts is the number one goal. Anything else is just a means to that end.

prufroc8

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
Have you tried to use SMS Backup and Restore by SyncTech?

I have. It will not back up the old messages. It will export everything since then, but the previous messages appear to have vanished. I have tried another SMS app or two to see if any can search other areas of the phone's storage, still no luck. It is odd because some things are accessible (for example everything in the downloads folder), but other things (text messages, the data for an app called Fitnotes, etc) are not accessible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar