I have an inexpensive Moto E5 Play with Consumer Cellular, and was wondering if it has GPS. I assume a GPS would let someone track me from a remote location, say if I called 911 or if I was wounded somewhere and wasn't able to make a call on the phone.

I thought all smartphones had GPS, but maybe I was wrong. How would I know if I had it?
    01-22-2019 03:44 PM
    Yes, it has GPS (the US system) and GLONASS (the Russian system). An E-911 console can get GPS data from your phone when you call 911, because the phone sends GPS data down the line when you call 911 (or 112 in Europe). But as far as I know, there's no app that can "get" GPS data from your phone (or even any way to do it).

If you're wounded and can't make a call, there's no way for anyone to "get to your phone", or any reason they should know that they should. If you're afraid of things like a fall in your house, get one of those emergency systems, so you can wear a pendant under your shirt and just press the button (they're pretty large) on the pendant. The emergency service knows where you are, and even if you can only groan they'll send the police.
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-22-2019 04:15 PM
    Thanks Rukbat, I'm not really concerned about falling or anything, just trying to guess all the things that GPS might be good for.

There was a news story about some woman that was kidnapped and they said they heard a 'ping' from her phone in another state which led them to the kidnapper.

I also heard stories, don't know if they're true, that stalkers have used the GPS of a woman's phone to track exactly where she was.

I have no fears about these things, but curious if there's something on my phone. Trying to slowly learn this stuff since I never had a smartphone before.
    01-22-2019 08:59 PM