Android 10 system gestures not fully working with Action Launcher on new Moto Edge+.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
(Not sure which would be the best forum for launcher related topics, as there doesn't seem to be a dedicated forum for launchers.)

Action Launcher v45 does not appear to be fully working with the bottom Android 10 gesture bar of the newly released Motorola Edge+, a new Verizon exclusive in USA, even with April 1, 2020 Android security patch and Action Launcher v45.

Specifically: Go Home from bottom and Go Back from edges work, but neither Recent Apps (swipe and hold from bottom) nor Switch Between Apps (swipe left/right at bottom) appear to work. Launch Assistant (swipe up diagonally from bottom) mostly works, but conflicts somewhat with Action Launcher gestures.

Fortunately, the Moto Edge Touch bar is a workaround to access Recent Apps, but there's no workaround for Switch Between Apps.

Curious if this problem is specific to just this new Moto device, or affects other Android 10 phones, Moto or otherwise? (I plan to crosspost this to the current model Moto forums.)

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
(Not sure which would be the best forum for launcher related topics, as there doesn't seem to be a dedicated forum for launchers.)

Action Launcher v45 does not appear to be fully working with the bottom Android 10 gesture bar of the newly released Motorola Edge+, a new Verizon exclusive in USA, even with April 1, 2020 Android security patch and Action Launcher v45.

Specifically: Go Home from bottom and Go Back from edges work, but neither Recent Apps (swipe and hold from bottom) nor Switch Between Apps (swipe left/right at bottom) appear to work. Launch Assistant (swipe up diagonally from bottom) mostly works, but conflicts somewhat with Action Launcher gestures.

Fortunately, the Moto Edge Touch bar is a workaround to access Recent Apps, but there's no workaround for Switch Between Apps.

Curious if this problem is specific to just this new Moto device, or affects other Android 10 phones, Moto or otherwise? (I plan to crosspost this to the current model Moto forums.)

Thanks.
Lot of phones with Google new gestures dont work with 3rd party launchers

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Lot of phones with Google new gestures dont work with 3rd party launchers

Hi Mustang, thanks for the quick reply. I read that was true last fall, before Google released updated gesture support for 3rd party launchers in the December 2019 security update, which Action Launcher updated to support in its v45 release, and now claims to have fully working. So I'm wondering if something is broke specific to this new Moto Edge+ phone here in USA, or is an issue on other phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang, thanks for the quick reply. I read that was true last fall, before Google released updated gesture support for 3rd party launchers in the December 2019 security update, which Action Launcher updated to support in its v45 release, and now claims to have fully working. So I'm wondering if something is broke specific to this new Moto Edge+ phone here in USA, or is an issue on other phones.
Hi, on my Samsung with nova launcher still can't use google gestures so its still a issue.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Android 10 + Navigation Gestures + Custom launchers is a big mess and the blame is on Google.

Action launcher published a while ago a bombastic claim saying that they had made full gestures fully compatible, but they were exaggerating if not lying. The same problems apply for every custom launcher and the results depend on the brand. Some phones, like OnePlus or Pixel, let you use the Home and Recent apps gestures while using a custom launchers (not perfectly but at least they kind of work), others like Samsung or Nokia didn't enable this option.

I haven't used the Edge but in other Moto devices running 10 those gestures don't work and you need to use the stock launcher or Moto one-button navigation.

I guess this is not exactly what you wanted to hear. Sorry. :)

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Android 10 + Navigation Gestures + Custom launchers is a big mess and the blame is on Google.

Action launcher published a while ago a bombastic claim saying that they had made full gestures fully compatible, but they were exaggerating if not lying. The same problems apply for every custom launcher and the results depend on the brand....I haven't used the Edge but in other Moto devices running 10 those gestures don't work and you need to use the stock launcher or Moto one-button navigation.

Bummer, I'm surprised Action Launcher's developer hasn't posted to this effect on their blog. It's a really (really) great launcher I've come to depend on, definitely don't want to revert back to the much less capable Moto launcher. Lack of Switch Between Apps isn't a deal killer, but a painful loss esp. having become accustomed to Moto's one-button nav on my Z2 Force, so fast and easy.

Thank you for your response.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Bummer, I'm surprised Action Launcher's developer hasn't posted to this effect on their blog. It's a really (really) great launcher I've come to depend on, definitely don't want to revert back to the much less capable Moto launcher. Lack of Switch Between Apps isn't a deal killer, but a painful loss esp. having become accustomed to Moto's one-button nav on my Z2 Force, so fast and easy.

Thank you for your response.
I don't have the G7+ at hand right now so I can't confirm. Can't you switch between the last two apps if you swipe to the right and hold the one-button nav pill?

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Can't you switch between the last two apps if you swipe to the right and hold the one-button nav pill?

Edge+ doesn't have a touch nav pill, uses in-screen fingerprint reader and Android 10 system gestures, which include an on-screen bottom touch bar to swipe left/right/up.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
OK. No, on Edge+, swiping left/right on the bottom on-screen bar does *not* switch apps if Action Launcher is default launcher, but it does work if the Moto Launcher is set.
You could give Nova a quick try just to know if this problem is specific for Action or any other third party launcher. I remember using that navigation bar on a G7+ running Android 10 and Nova, maybe things have changed with the Edge and its new gestures.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
You could give Nova a quick try just to know if this problem is specific for Action or any other third party launcher. I remember using that navigation bar on a G7+ running Android 10 and Nova, maybe things have changed with the Edge and its new gestures.

Mustang7757 mentioned earlier on this thread that Nova on his Samsung still not working with gestures, but at this point I'm foggy what aspect of this is Android vs. OEM vs. launcher.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Mustang7757 mentioned earlier on this thread that Nova on his Samsung still not working with gestures, but at this point I'm foggy what aspect of this is Android vs. OEM vs. launcher.
As I said in my first post, the whole thing is a mess and Google is the main culprit.

Moto phones didn't enable the new full gestures when using a custom launcher but my surprise is that their own navigation bar doesn't work. So I wonder if things would be different while using Nova.

Right now I'm using a OnePlus 7 with Nova and navigation gestures have been available since day one. With Pixels 3 and below it was possible only after the December security patch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As I said in my first post, the whole thing is a mess and Google is the main culprit.

Moto phones didn't enable the new full gestures when using a custom launcher but my surprise is that their own navigation bar doesn't work. So I wonder if things would be different while using Nova.

Right now I'm using a OnePlus 7 with Nova and navigation gestures have been available since day one. With Pixels 3 and below it was possible only after the December security patch.
Agree!

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Moto phones didn't enable the new full gestures when using a custom launcher but my surprise is that their own navigation bar doesn't work.

Apologies, but can you please explain what you mean by "their own [Moto's] navigation bar doesn't work"? I've been thinking the nav bar is Android 10, not 3rd party launcher or OEM, though I understand the app switcher is incorporated into the launcher apps now, as of Android 10.

If I use the Moto Launcher, the Android 10 gestures all work correctly, but I highly (highly) prefer Action Launcher.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The incompatibility between full gestures and launchers was mainly caused after Google changed the way that the Recent apps overview was handled. The Recents provider must be a system app, custom launchers don't have access to it and it's handled by the stock launcher (even when you use a custom one).

Some brands like OnePlus created a workaround to avoid most of these problems and even not being perfect navigation gestures work. Samsung announced that it will work in the future with a new version of their One UI (probably months ahead). I haven't seen any similar announcement from Moto.

Now, there are some tricks to make gestures work but they involve root, QuickSwitch-Magisk and very specific launchers like Hyperion or Lawnchair that have the code to be the Recents provider. A very windy road and with iffy results.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Apologies, but can you please explain what you mean by "their own [Moto's] navigation bar doesn't work"? I've been thinking the nav bar is Android 10, not 3rd party launcher or OEM, though I understand the app switcher is incorporated into the launcher apps now, as of Android 10.

If I use the Moto Launcher, the Android 10 gestures all work correctly, but I highly (highly) prefer Action Launcher.
In older Moto phones that bar was the One-button navigation, usually enabled from the Moto app. I've seen it still working on other Moto phones running Android 10, but probably yis different in the Edge models, hence my surprise.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've searched a bit about this problem and I couldn't find anything on xda or Moto forums. No much traffic about the Edge models.

I'm afraid that Moto probably abandoned their own navigation bar gestures (most likely a requirement from Google) and you are going to find these same problems with any custom launcher. Unless Moto decide to open the door as other brands already did.

I'm sorry that we are not being much help. :)

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I've searched a bit about this problem and I couldn't find anything on xda or Moto forums. No much traffic about the Edge models.

You've been a great help, actually, to confirm I'm not overlooking some workaround or solution, so thanks for putting some time into it on my behalf.

Probably won't see much traffic re: Edge for months yet, since Edge+ is going to be a low-volume Verizon exclusive in USA (aiming for the small audience of die-hard Moto fans like myself), and Edge is going to take time to gain traction after its release later this year, I predict, given its strong competition in the upper mid-range/lower flagship category.

My jury is still out whether this was US$1K well spent to upgrade from my still speedy 2017 Moto Z2 Force, on which I love the one-button navigation, and even regularly use its "Show Me" voice commands, which disappeared from Motos after that model.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I remember Moto having its own gesture nav. When compared, the gesture nav on the Wife's Edge+ slightly looks and acts differently than on my Pixel 3XL. I run Action Launcher and have no issues with gesture nav.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood