How do I set the sms tone from messaging app?

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Usually, you can tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner within the messaging app to change the sms tone. But when I do that, the option simply isn't there. I do have the option to change the default notification sound from "sound settings", but I only want to change the sms tone. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Note: I have the Motorola Edge 5G UW (2021). I came here because I didn't see it listed under Motorola phones. This is the only Edge thread on here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, select Messages, then Notifications. Tap the words Incoming Messages (i.e., don't tap the toggle switch), then tap Sound, and choose a new notification tone there.

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, select Messages, then Notifications. Tap the words Incoming Messages (i.e., don't tap the toggle switch), then tap Sound, and choose a new notification tone there.

Thanks B. Diddy, that worked. Surprised that such a simple task has so many steps on a brand new phone. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy, that worked. Surprised that such a simple task has so many steps on a brand new phone. Thanks again.

Glad that worked! It may seem a bit complex at first, but the other way of looking at it is that there's a centralized place in the system settings where you can adjust tones for any of your apps (instead of going into each app and changing things there). The problem with app developers is that many of them don't follow any standard guidelines, so their menus can be all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy