Motorola Edge Plus, anyone else interested?

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Based on these, I feel like the Motorola Moto Edge+ can hang with the current crop of flagships.

Hmmm, watched all four of those, and while I wouldn't say those reviewers loved the camera (#3 referring to it as "good not great"), I agree with you that the several low light and night mode shots looked comparable (though it's always hard to compare photos in YouTube video reviews).

Beyond the camera, all of these reviewers sounded lukewarm on overall product value vs. other flagships, and none were favorable to the waterfall display.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone purchased one of these yet, have early impressions after a few days/week+?

Also FYI, $200 promotion started at Verizon today, I'm told runs to June (not sure exact end date). Doesn't require new line, trade-in, or unlimited plan, but does require 24 month device payment plan, with the credit paid out $8.33/month.

Ry, is a dedicated forum for this new phone coming soon?

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchased one of these yet, have early impressions after a few days/week+?

Also FYI, $200 promotion started at Verizon today, I'm told runs to June (not sure exact end date). Doesn't require new line, trade-in, or unlimited plan, but does require 24 month device payment plan, with the credit paid out $8.33/month.

Ry, is a dedicated forum for this new phone coming soon?
My Wife has had hers almost a week now and she can't put it down, she loves it that much.
With the limited time she has let me play with it, I gotta say the FHD display is really nice to look at and it feels really good in the hand. A good weight too.
I was a little questionable about the edges with false touches etc, but with the OtterBox case on there is enough lip on the sides where that is not much of a problem with me anyway.

I saw the $200 promotion last night and might be a little tempted to get one for myself.

Wow! Someone switching to Verizon could potentially get one for $100 right now.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Wow! Someone switching to Verizon could potentially get one for $100 right now.

Which makes clear how overpriced both either this phone and/or Verizon service is, I'd say. :) Seriously, this $999 retail price is the same buffered retail pricing game they played on Z2F launch back in 2017, in order to apply promotions to add and extend those lucrative monthly plans.

On that note, I just learned my 3-line household can save ~$150/year by switching to a business plan, but then doesn't qualify for $150 trade-in promotion (but is eligible for the $200 discount). Crazy games! TMO is much simpler and could save us $250/year (!), but no Moto Edge+, of course (Unless: Can I buy Edge+ at full retail price, and just take it to TMO??).

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for 3 days so far, and I'm extremely impressed, especially coming off a languishing 4 year old Moto Z-force, which happened to literally, conveniently take it's last breath on the same day (within a few hours) this gem arrived, just before I had a chance to transfer everything over.

That being said, everything about this phone is top notch. The cameras are excellent, the screen is beautiful, it's blazing fast and smooth, and the BATTERY LIFE is next level compared to any other smartphone I've ever used (generally the feature I look for at the top of my criteria for any new phone).

Here are some quick photos as well for the hell of it...IMG_20200521_123249100_HDR.jpegIMG_20200521_123401208-01.jpegIMG_20200520_211035631_HDR.jpegIMG_20200520_210944436.jpeg

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The cameras are excellent, the screen is beautiful, it's blazing fast and smooth, and the BATTERY LIFE is next level compared to any other smartphone I've ever used (generally the feature I look for at the top of my criteria for any new phone).

Thanks Beeare, sorry you weren't able to transfer from your Z Force, did you not have Google Backup enabled?

Despite my skeptical remarks above, I couldn't resist today and purchased Edge+, sitting here now in first-run setup hell, hitting multiple problems, after having had to factory reset and start over after it (not me) forgot my four digit PIN, preventing me from logging in after restart. Now, it seems stuck at "Please wait..." after initial Google account log in. Perhaps it's just taking a long time to transfer my initial settings/apps/SMS from Google Backup, but I thought happened in background.

My purchase experience wasn't easy, either, myVerizon app couldn't complete the device purchase and had me call in, which took a long wait on hold, then that sales rep had system issues. All that from in my car outside the Verizon store, since in our area (Seattle) they can't do in-person phone sales yet.

Will keep this thread posted with my impressions, if I can get to use the phone tonight.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow that sounds like a serious ordeal. I'm sorry to hear that was your experience.

I hadn't set-up a new Android phone for a while so it was a little different than I last remembered. I ended up fiddling with my old phone to see if I could get it on for enough time to make the transition, but it kept fizzling out before I could do anything---which was stressful and annoying. But I eventually found the way to use Google backup to make it happen. It transferred most of my contacts (which was my biggest concern), but none of my apps---although that's probably a good thing because I could use a little purge after having my last phone for 4 years.

Anyhow, hopefully you're now fully up and running without further issues.

I'm curious to hear you're impressions, especially after being a skeptic from the start...
Thanks Beeare, sorry you weren't able to transfer from your Z Force, did you not have Google Backup enabled?

Despite my skeptical remarks above, I couldn't resist today and purchased Edge+, sitting here now in first-run setup hell, hitting multiple problems, after having had to factory reset and start over after it (not me) forgot my four digit PIN, preventing me from logging in after restart. Now, it seems stuck at "Please wait..." after initial Google account log in. Perhaps it's just taking a long time to transfer my initial settings/apps/SMS from Google Backup, but I thought happened in background.

My purchase experience wasn't easy, either, myVerizon app couldn't complete the device purchase and had me call in, which took a long wait on hold, then that sales rep had system issues. All that from in my car outside the Verizon store, since in our area (Seattle) they can't do in-person phone sales yet.

Will keep this thread posted with my impressions, if I can get to use the phone tonight.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a sucker for Moto phones but will need a bigger discount and ideally a deal from Best Buy where the savings come upfront rather than the monthly credits that basically commit one for two years to the phone. The other phone I'd look seriously at would be the OnePlus 8 Pro, but it won't have the inevitable large discounts I anticipate the Edge+ will have.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is otherworldly on this phone. Admittedly, I haven't had a new flagship for 4 years, so maybe the game has changed since I've been out of it, but this is the best battery life I've ever experienced with any mobile device.Screenshot_20200523-223322.jpeg

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm a sucker for Moto phones but will need a bigger discount and ideally a deal from Best Buy where the savings come upfront rather than the monthly credits that basically commit one for two years to the phone.

Yeah, a great $300+ Best Buy discount is what brought me to Z2 Force back in fall 2017, months after that flagship's release, but this time I couldn't wait, a bit bored in quarantine, and growing impatient with my Z2F's degrading battery and lack of security updates. No doubt, I fall squarely in the target market for Edge+, pretty zealous Moto fanboy and "sticky" Verizon customer. I honestly struggle with the thought of giving up Peek Display and Moto Camera, not just twist but "tap anywhere to capture" and other less obvious camera conveniences. (And note, chop-chop flashlight is available via third party app for any phone now.)

After a rough start on day one, a breakthrough today made all the difference in my enjoyment and functional use of Edge+ in these first 24 hours: My $9 TPU case arrived from Amazon (see photo). And just as with my Z2F back in 2017, I quickly figured out Edge+ is *designed* to have a lightweight case for grip, balance, and overall feel. Just wow, it's night and day: Naked, Edge+ was unusably slippery, perilous for chop-chop flashlight and twist camera, plus that nasty wobble when on flat surfaces, and occasional spurious edge touches, despite Moto's decent optimizations. With case on, all those issues are resolved, and I'm even finding edge gestures to be easier and more natural, in-hand. Surprisingly, I'm already enjoying Edge+ gesture nav better than Z2F TouchNav, though I don't know how much of that is Android 10 vs. the Moto edges.

How is it that reviewers seem not to catch on that hands-on experiences are very different with vs. without cases? I guess it could also be reasonably asked, why doesn't Motorola just bundle an optimally designed case with the phone, like some of their competitors?

All that said, after just one day so far, my jury remains out whether this is a worthy $1K spend to replace my 2017 Z2 Force. Of course it runs faster and smoother, but not mind-bogglingly so. The Edge+ screen isn't as bright as I'd hoped, and I'm not sure if I'm really noticing the 90Hz refresh advantage, so I'll run it with that turned off tomorrow. One disappointment I noticed off the bat: With or without a case, this is a *heavy* device vs. the (no glass) Z2 Force, noticeably uncomfortable to hold for long periods (and I've got pretty strengthened wrists/forearms). My spouse says the same about their iPhone 11 Max Pro, interestingly.

So far, the waterfall edges are so-so, definitely eye-catching (esp. with the stunning Moto Waves live wallpaper, wow), but as some reviewers have written, I find myself immediately toggling edges off in most text-based apps (email, news, etc.), since its disconcerting to see text getting bent off the screen on both sides, even if it is readable. The edges also seem to make the screen feel much more narrow than my Z2F, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

Lastly, my remaining pretty big irritation is that Action Launcher -- an awesome launcher I can't live without, supporting Pixel features and beyond -- appears incompatible with Moto's bottom gesture/Touch Nav bar, making app switching difficult, though swiping up on the Edge Touch bar does access the app switcher, as a workaround.

I'll post more observations, pro and con, as they surface. Did some macro camera shooting today and came away impressed, will post some samples later.

71cmcRPIEIL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After a rough start on day one, a breakthrough today made all the difference in my enjoyment and functional use of Edge+ in these first 24 hours: My $9 TPU case arrived from Amazon (see photo). And just as with my Z2F back in 2017, I quickly figured out Edge+ is *designed* to have a lightweight case for grip, balance, and overall feel. Just wow, it's night and day: Naked, Edge+ was unusably slippery, perilous for chop-chop flashlight and twist camera, plus that nasty wobble when on flat surfaces, and occasional spurious edge touches, despite Moto's decent optimizations. With case on, all those issues are resolved, and I'm even finding edge gestures to be easier and more natural, in-hand. Surprisingly, I'm already enjoying Edge+ gesture nav better than Z2F TouchNav, though I don't know how much of that is Android 10 vs. the Moto edges.

How is it that reviewers seem not to catch on that hands-on experiences are very different with vs. without cases? I guess it could also be reasonably asked, why doesn't Motorola just bundle an optimally designed case with the phone, like some of their competitors?

If it's not included, that's a separate case review.

Lastly, my remaining pretty big irritation is that Action Launcher -- an awesome launcher I can't live without, supporting Pixel features and beyond -- appears incompatible with Moto's bottom gesture/Touch Nav bar, making app switching difficult, though swiping up on the Edge Touch bar does access the app switcher, as a workaround.

I think that's just an Android OS issue.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's $200 off at Motorola.com and $200 off with monthly payments at Verizon. There is a honey coupon extension at Motorola.com that takes another 10% off to get the price to $720 plus tax. While it has some limitations (and it's crazy to think that's a moderate price) at that price there is more value to consider.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
For $758 including tax I took the plunge. Hopefully I'll get it on Friday. Plus not having to pay an upgrade fee to Verizon is always a good thing. I also look forward to seeing how the cameras work with the GCAM app for low light photos. A Verizon rep in a chat (have an emailed transcript) said since it's an open enrollment time I can also get device protection from Verizon. We'll see.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
DXOMark camera review is out and pretty much what one would expect. Dinged for zoom, ultra-wide, and night shots. Strong main camera and video https://www.dxomark.com/motorola-edge-plus-camera-review/

Congrats Benjaminh, kudos for being patient enough to get the Moto $200 off deal, I have to stay with Verizon for 24 months to get my full $200 promo credit on this overpriced $999.99 Edge+. That said, I haggled with their sales dept today, and was offered a $120 one-time credit and "loyalty" unlimited plan that will save my 3-line household nearly $500 (!) per year vs. our old metered plan. (OK fine, but it took 2 hours on the phone.)

One Moto rep today (I spoke to four, at least) told me, "You can always buy Verizon phones cheaper directly from the manufacturers." (Right?)

Misinformation abounds, though, from both Moto and VZW. A Motorola rep told me last week, Edge+ will "never work on any network other than Verizon, even if they unlock it for you". That is untrue.

And one Verizon rep told me, incorrectly, that Verizon will only unlock fully paid off devices. Also untrue, the official policy is that devices purchased from Verizon are unlocked automatically 60 days after purchase, or 60 days after activation if purchased from a non-Verizon retailer.

Economics aside: I'm enjoying this Edge+ more every day, now eleven days in with it, replacing my 2017 Moto Z2 Force. Why? For the exact reasons I'd hoped: Look and feel, and usability, a "je ne sais quoi" that I've always felt about the Moto user experience, and Edge+ is no exception.

Despite Debby Downer reviews about edge displays, Moto got it right by making their "waterfall" edges *bigger* and configurable per-app, IMO. Eye catching, immersive, and *no* false touch if you have a lightweight TPU case on, which no reviewers bothered to try or notice. It's beautiful to watch video on, and even just look at sitting on the counter.

Moto Peek Display: Even better now than before. I honestly can't imagine using a phone without it, having had it on four Moto phones now, over 7+ years. Non-Moto users have no idea what this is about, but it's efficient and unique to Moto.

Moto Camera: What Edge+ lacks in perfect image quality (iPhone 11 Max Pro is clearly sharper, even on main camera, I've done a few hands-on tests), it gains in sheer speed and usability. How is "Touch Anywhere" to capture not a thing on all phones by now? And of course, Twist to Capture rocks with this flagship hw performance, the camera is ready to shoot before I have it in front of my face.

That said, I *do* think there are some software bugs/issues with the Moto Edge+ camera processing, that I'm hoping will be updated. The main camera has not impressed me vs. my 2017 Moto Z2 Force. Interestingly, the night shots I've tried have been comparable to the iPhone 11 Max Pro, which contradicts all reviews so far. Will need to test further. I'll also post some example shots on this thread, later.

Bottom line, I tend to agree with many of the reviews: If you're already a Moto fan happy with Verizon, and hungry for flagship performance, you'll want Edge+. But if you're not on Verizon, their overpriced plans aren't worth switching to for this device, at least not at $799.99, even with 24-month promo. The $200 off Moto deal expiring tomorrow June 3, plus the 10% Honey coupon, gets it in range of proper value.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to sharing one another's experiences and hopefully photos. Plus waiting for a Black Friday sale that may be better than this means I wouldn't be able to use it for close to six months and no guarantee it would be much better. I avoid Verizon's monthly bill credits because it ties you to the phone. Best Buy is so much better when they give you the discount upfront.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool