We've got the Moto G, here's the place to ask your questions

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Might have already been covered earlier, but how's this phone compared to the Nexus 4? Does it feel faster and snappier or about the same? Battery life? Quality of display? What about running apps? Does either phone have an edge when it comes to more demanding apps and games? In the walk through podcast it was mentioned that it felt comparable to a Nexus 4 experience but they didn't elaborate.

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Might have already been covered earlier, but how's this phone compared to the Nexus 4? Does it feel faster and snappier or about the same? Battery life? Quality of display? What about running apps? Does either phone have an edge when it comes to more demanding apps and games? In the walk through podcast it was mentioned that it felt comparable to a Nexus 4 experience but they didn't elaborate.

I've previously owned a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 (returned due to WiFi issues) so I can compare it to the Nexus 4 for you.

As for speed and snappiness it feels about the same as the Nexus 4 to me, no really noticeable lag anywhere. Chrome can slow down a bit on heavy webpages but it does on most phones. Apps load quickly too.

I was really impressed with the display myself. Seems comparable in clarity to the Nexus 4 albeit a bit smaller (feels about the same height but narrower). Colours are a lot more saturated than the Nexus 4 too. Not quite AMOLED saturation but definitely not as "washed out" as the Nexus 4.

I'm not a big phone gamer so I can't comment on how it performs with demanding apps.

Now, battery life. The "all day battery" was one of things that made me get this to tide me over until whatever new toy comes out next year (Moto X please!) and I'm not disappointed. My Nexus 4 usually managed to last until about 6PM on a good day with average usage. My Nexus 5 lasted until mid afternoon. This thing hit 12% as I was getting into bed at 11PM. That's with 4 hours 32 mins of screen-on time, Pocket Casts running and downloading for a few hours, Play Music streaming over Bluetooth to my car and even WiFi tethering from about 9PM (I wanted to see if I could kill it!)

Posted via Android Central App

Bilal Hakim

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am thinking about getting a MOTO G but then I found out that no wall charger is available with it. I was a little disappointed since I always use the charger supplied with a phone. I never use other manufacturer's chargers. I once charged with another company's charger and it took way too long to charge and the charge dropped really quickly.
But, I might try it so my question: will charging it by another company's charger affect its battery life? I really can't hook it up to my laptop for long.

Thank you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am thinking about getting a MOTO G but then I found out that no wall charger is available with it. I was a little disappointed since I always use the charger supplied with a phone. I never use other manufacturer's chargers. I once charged with another company's charger and it took way too long to charge and the charge dropped really quickly.
But, I might try it so my question: will charging it by another company's charger affect its battery life? I really can't hook it up to my laptop for long.

Thank you.

The charger that came with my Moto X is still in the box.

MotoGuy

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. We have a team investigating -- I'll let you know what we come up with.

Apps download fine from Google Play but when I test my apps, I copy apk onto the phone, they don't install from file manager...
Also someone mentioned that factory reset will fix the issue but I tried factory reset twice without any success.

My system version is: 14.71.8.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB

MotoGuy

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The charger will impact the time to charge, but should not hurt battery life itself. Virtually any Motorola charger will work and most others that fit will be fine.

Thank you.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've previously owned a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 (returned due to WiFi issues) so I can compare it to the Nexus 4 for you.

As for speed and snappiness it feels about the same as the Nexus 4 to me, no really noticeable lag anywhere. Chrome can slow down a bit on heavy webpages but it does on most phones. Apps load quickly too.

I was really impressed with the display myself. Seems comparable in clarity to the Nexus 4 albeit a bit smaller (feels about the same height but narrower). Colours are a lot more saturated than the Nexus 4 too. Not quite AMOLED saturation but definitely not as "washed out" as the Nexus 4.

I'm not a big phone gamer so I can't comment on how it performs with demanding apps.

Now, battery life. The "all day battery" was one of things that made me get this to tide me over until whatever new toy comes out next year (Moto X please!) and I'm not disappointed. My Nexus 4 usually managed to last until about 6PM on a good day with average usage. My Nexus 5 lasted until mid afternoon. This thing hit 12% as I was getting into bed at 11PM. That's with 4 hours 32 mins of screen-on time, Pocket Casts running and downloading for a few hours, Play Music streaming over Bluetooth to my car and even WiFi tethering from about 9PM (I wanted to see if I could kill it!)

I'm impressed. It find it pretty cool how far the smartphone experience has developed over the last year. It was only 12 months ago that people were scrambling to get their hands on a Nexus 4 and in some case willing to pay upwards of $500 USD. Now to be at a place where you can get a similar experience with much improved battery life for under $200 USD is fantastic.

Wez Knowles

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Wez Knowles, what can you say about cameras? Whitch one is better?

Between the Nexus 4 and Moto G?

The Nexus 4. It's not a massive gap, you can get some pretty decent pictures from the Moto G in good lighting but once it gets a little darker you get some graininess and blur coming in.

If the Nexus 4 camera was a 7 out of 10, I'd give the Moto G a good 5 or 6 I think.

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know when it is coming to Malaysia? price in Malaysian Ringgits? Any ideas and timeframe?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

xllusion

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. We have a team investigating -- I'll let you know what we come up with.

Thanks, actually there are quite a few people having this problem as well and factory reset solved their problem.
Fortunately the 3rd time factory reset fixed the issue for me but this problem shouldn't be there at first place...

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Moto G- Battery Life?
Can anyone shed some light on "screen on times" and usage patterns with 3G data on?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Fernando PG

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
How does it feel in the hand? Does it fit well on a medium-size hands? Does it notice too much thick?
About camera, how does it compare versus the sony ericsson xperia neo or kind of
what about the price of the shells? It seems the smartphone is quite cheap but not in the same way for the shells... I?ve heard that can be cost around 20$, I?m pretty interested in the flip cover shell.
Thanks for the replies!

frednoyb

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone explain how to get a dual SIM Moto G in the UK, by some kind of importing method? I have been web trawling for days without joy..

jozepf

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it comes without a wall charger.

How long does it take to charger via usb?

Can i use any micro usb wall charger? I have a nexus 7 (2012 edition), would that asus wall charger do? I don't want it to explode or melt like apples tend to do when using another brand charger.