Moto X & Moto G Comparison

RedLux

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The two Moto phones look very similar and I was wondering if anybody knew any other aspects that they are similar in. For example if they have the same stock wallpapers and so on.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The two Moto phones look very similar and I was wondering if anybody knew any other aspects that they are similar in. For example if they have the same stock wallpapers and so on.

Posted via Android Central App

Trusted Bluetooth and Motorola Assist - but I'm not sure if it'll get the driving portion of Assist.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
i think its better to look for whats different in G compared to X. thats would be a very short list and rest look similar to X
I got the feeling from the launch broadcast this morning that it only handles sleep schedule and meetings... Plus, the fact that this phone sports an FM radio shows that this is geared towards those that don't own cars and are unable to buy affordable technology that can bring them to this year's technology.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I really think they should have worked to get the co-processors working with the Snapdragon in this version of the phone. It would have been amazing marketing for a phone to be able to use always-on voice activation with a $200 price-tag.

They did say the purpose of the design of the X8 system was that it could be used with different processors. There would still be distinct advantages for the Moto X because the LCD screen disables the advantages of Active Display, the processor is slower, the Moto G doesn't appear to have NFC, and it doesn't have LTE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really think they should have worked to get the co-processors working with the Snapdragon in this version of the phone. It would have been amazing marketing for a phone to be able to use always-on voice activation with a $200 price-tag.

They did say the purpose of the design of the X8 system was that it could be used with different processors. There would still be distinct advantages for the Moto X because the LCD screen disables the advantages of Active Display, the processor is slower, the Moto G doesn't appear to have NFC, and it doesn't have LTE.

Adding those co-processors (plus the development and testing) would have certainly increased the price tag beyond what Motorola what targeting.

Also, Google Now's voice commands work best when set to US English. This is a global device.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The Moto G is priced at $179. The processor in the Moto X is supposed to cost them $28 each.

I wouldn't be surprised if adding in the other two processors while allowing for the overall cost to remain around $199 off-contract. That should still cover the cost of upgrading the processor and still allowing some additional for the R&D needed to ensure it works.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Moto G is priced at $179. The processor in the Moto X is supposed to cost them $28 each.

I wouldn't be surprised if adding in the other two processors while allowing for the overall cost to remain around $199 off-contract. That should still cover the cost of upgrading the processor and still allowing some additional for the R&D needed to ensure it works.

Even still, the 8GB model would probably retail for over $200. Sub $200 looks like the target. And re: Touchless Control, it depends on Google Now for most of the commands after "OK Google now.." and AFAIK, needs to be set to US English. Not going to help anyone speaking Portuguese or Spanish..\

For always listening functionality, it's not as easy as you'd like it to be (parts, R&D) and it doesn't even work for 90% of your target demographic.

The contextual computing processor for motion might have been more useful.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Even still, the 8GB model would probably retail for over $200. Sub $200 looks like the target. And re: Touchless Control, it depends on Google Now for most of the commands after "OK Google now.." and AFAIK, needs to be set to US English. Not going to help anyone speaking Portuguese or Spanish..\

For always listening functionality, it's not as easy as you'd like it to be (parts, R&D) and it doesn't even work for 90% of your target demographic.

The contextual computing processor for motion might have been more useful.

I agree, those looking for higher specs need to understand this is a play for the lower end of the market. MS has made big gains do to offering very low priced options.