Total newbe on a smart phone and thinking of jumping in with the Moto G. Looking for some advise

We have ATT now with flip phones. Could I order a Moto G and use it with my ATT (Voice Only) Sim card? I don't want to add ATT smart phone pricing or contract.
    Things I hope to do with it and things I need to understand.
    > Keep using it as voice only for two numbers.
    > Use the phone for wi fi surfing
    > Use a google voice app for wifi calls? Have the phone manage the calls to go to wifi if available and cell if not.
    > Another question...if you have no cell service at all can a cell phone with wifi still work on wifi?
    > Can we us google voice and text on this phone?
    > If a phone has GPS does it use cell minutes?

I didn't find a Moto G thread...it's probably under my nose.

Thank you

Have to keep ATT or a reseller due to our location. We use google voice with local number and forward it to cell phone when not by computer.
    12-01-2013 05:01 PM
    Total newbe on a smart phone and thinking of jumping in with the Moto G. Looking for some advise

We have ATT now with flip phones. Could I order a Moto G and use it with my ATT (Voice Only) Sim card? I don't want to add ATT smart phone pricing or contract.
    > Use a google voice app for wifi calls? Have the phone manage the calls to go to wifi if available and cell if not.
    > Another question...if you have no cell service at all can a cell phone with wifi still work on wifi?

Thank you

Have to keep ATT or a reseller due to our location. We use google voice with local number and forward it to cell phone when not by computer.
    Are you on AT&T or one of their MVNOs (Like GoPhone or Aio)?
    12-01-2013 05:28 PM
    Thanks for asking.
    We are both OFF contract but still on ATT. We will be light user except web I think through wifi. No landline just cell with google voice. Medium use of technology. Frugal and older too.

I found the Moto G forum ...is there a way to move a post?
    12-01-2013 05:33 PM
    Thanks for asking.
    We are both OFF contract but still on ATT. We will be light user except web I think through wifi. No landline just cell with google voice. Medium use of technology. Frugal and older too.

I found the Moto G forum ...is there a way to move a post?
    Only the mods can move it
    Have you thought about moving to one of their MVNOs? A lot cheaper than being on contract and you can use any phone so I don't think they charge you for having a smartphone.
    12-01-2013 05:36 PM
    Yes that is our plan. I have the Wiki link to the MVNOs that ride on ATT. Right now I am trying to figure out a GSM phone that doesn't cost more than $200...that allows for wifi for calls and surfing... My goal is to have both phones to cost not much more than $90 a month total. One of my concerns is I will pick a phone that can't access wifi without some type of set up from the Cell company that requires $$$. Do they have ways to blocking a phone like Moto G if you don't have a package.
    12-01-2013 05:49 PM
    Yes that is our plan. I have the Wiki link to the MVNOs that ride on ATT. Right now I am trying to figure out a GSM phone that doesn't cost more than $200...that allows for wifi for calls and surfing... My goal is to have both phones to cost not much more than $90 a month total. One of my concerns is I will pick a phone that can't access wifi without some type of set up from the Cell company that requires $$$. Do they have ways to blocking a phone like Moto G if you don't have a package.
    Basically all phones support web browsing on WiFi but I believe the only ones that support WiFi calling are a few of the T-Mobile phones as well as phones on Republic Wireless.
    How is the coverage of TMo and Sprint in your area? You could get some really cheap plans on both of those
    12-01-2013 05:54 PM

Thank you

I know that for the GoPhone plans, the $25 plan is just for voice and texts (no data), and that is an option for smartphones. I think it may be for only 250 minutes.

However, I forgot to add that for just $5 more/month, you can get unlimited talk/text on Air Voice with 100 mb data. Air Voice is an AT&T MVNO.
    UJ95x likes this.
    12-01-2013 06:47 PM
    I will check that out again. There is so much to think about. Thank you both. It's all clear as mud.
    UJ95x likes this.
    12-01-2013 07:23 PM
    I will check that out again. There is so much to think about. Thank you both. It's all clear as mud.
    Hehe, it's better than having few options
    Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App
    12-01-2013 08:49 PM
    This community is amazing. I am so appreciative of all the help throughout the threads.

I ended up with two Consumer Cellular w Moto G phones. GSMA, 500 min, 15000 text, 2G shared data. $57/mo with AARP discount plus taxes. We have lots of access to wifi here. We will pay about $30 less a month than ATT and instead of voice-only be 'smart'. If we find out we both need 15k text and 2G each it will be $95/mo.

No fee to sign up.

Thanks again.
    01-14-2014 11:47 AM
    Thread moved.
    01-14-2014 11:49 AM
    I got a Moto G last week. I popped my AT&T SIM that came with my Galaxy S3 into it and was off and running. I haven't had any issues with calls, texting, or data.

The only problem I would anticipate with switching is that your current SIM cards may be the wrong size, or possibly incompatible. You may need to get new SIM cards from AT&T.

You may also save some money off your current plan with their new no-contract plan. This will offset the required data plan.
    01-15-2014 12:18 AM
    I got a Moto G last week. I popped my AT&T SIM that came with my Galaxy S3 into it and was off and running. I haven't had any issues with calls, texting, or data.

The only problem I would anticipate with switching is that your current SIM cards may be the wrong size, or possibly incompatible. You may need to get new SIM cards from AT&T.

You may also save some money off your current plan with their new no-contract plan. This will offset the required data plan.
    do you know if it is possible to use the Moto G on a line with a data block? I want to get a new phone for my mom. She currently has an unlocked LG Optimus P509, which AT&T can not identify so I am getting away with no data on that line. If I purchased an international Moto G, do you know if AT&T will identify the Moto G as a smartphone in their database?
    01-22-2014 03:51 PM
    I have an unlocked US Moto G and when I login to my AT&T account it doesn't show an image of my phone, just a flip phone placeholder. I don't know if that means anything though. My SIM came from my GSIII and was in my Atrix inbetween. So, I've always had data on that SIM.
    01-30-2014 10:06 AM
    I have an unlocked US Moto G and when I login to my AT&T account it doesn't show an image of my phone, just a flip phone placeholder. I don't know if that means anything though. My SIM came from my GSIII and was in my Atrix inbetween. So, I've always had data on that SIM.
    On contract or prepaid? The prepaid AT&T GoPhone plans generally don't allow per-use data for smart phones (and some don't allow data plans for smart phones) but if somebody wants to use a smartphone primarily as a phone, it can be a viable option for the budget conscious who are willing to limit data use to WiFi.
    01-30-2014 12:07 PM
    On contract or prepaid? The prepaid AT&T GoPhone plans generally don't allow per-use data for smart phones (and some don't allow data plans for smart phones) but if somebody wants to use a smartphone primarily as a phone, it can be a viable option for the budget conscious who are willing to limit data use to WiFi.
    I'm on contract.
    01-31-2014 10:01 AM