Moto G: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
i'm confused as to which one to get. i'm on the tmobile $30 prepaid plan with unlimited data. If i get global GSm version, would i still be able to use my 3g data? If i get the U.S gsm version instead, if i travel outside the U.S, does this mean that prepaid 3g plans on other countries won't work on this phone? i'm confused and need help on which on to get since i want the phone to work with tmobile 3g data while in the U.S but also work when with other data plans in other countries i travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

i'm confused as to which one to get. i'm on the tmobile $30 prepaid plan with unlimited data. If i get global GSm version, would i still be able to use my 3g data? If i get the U.S gsm version instead, if i travel outside the U.S, does this mean that prepaid 3g plans on other countries won't work on this phone? i'm confused and need help on which on to get since i want the phone to work with tmobile 3g data while in the U.S but also work when with other data plans in other countries i travel.

Please read this post below, should answer all your questions:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g/338376-differnces-between-gobal-us-versions.html

Note: i've used the Global version on Tmobile. I received 3G data because my area has refarmed the 1900 signal.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Please read this post below, should answer all your questions:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g/338376-differnces-between-gobal-us-versions.html

Note: i've used the Global version on Tmobile. I received 3G data because my area has refarmed the 1900 signal.

How do i know which area has been "refarmed" is all of new york refarmed? Edit: it lists that only NYC is refarmed

i got another question, lets say i don't care about using Data and accessing the internet. In which case, does it really matter if i get the global GSM or US gsm if i live in the U.S? i would still the the same signal strength just for talking and texting right?

Last edited:

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

How do i know which area has been "refarmed" is all of new york refarmed? Edit: it lists that only NYC is refarmed

i got another question, lets say i don't care about using Data and accessing the internet. In which case, does it really matter if i get the global GSM or US gsm if i live in the U.S? i would still the the same signal strength just for talking and texting right?

This is the latest post from Tmobile with official refarming. I have no other info other than my own experience in Chicago.

Network Modernization | T-Mobile Support

In regards to your second question, I'm not 100%, I'm not a network expert, just a phone geek. This is what I found in my research:

1. T-Mobile's GSM network operates in 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies.

2. Both Moto G Models Support these frequencies.
Global GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
US GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Research:
2G Overview | T-Mobile Support
3G Overview | T-Mobile Support
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...launch%26utm_term%3DMoto%252BG&token=xDiZlP52

So, based on my research, if data doesn't matter, global and US version will work.

But I'm not an expert.

slamtry

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I am in a similar position. I want the global version of this phone as I travel to Europe and would use it there but I want it to to get decent speed here on my T-mobile $30/5gig plan. I am in Los Angeles, which I know is a re-farmed area and so ought to offer 3G speeds on the global version of the phone. However, I would like more anecdotal evidence before I pull the trigger. Does anyone else have any experience?

t1234

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Global model supports 900 and 2100 MHz frequencies standard to Europe and Asia. The con is you will only get 3G/4G in markets where 1900 MHz has modernized their towers which is most major markets. Their original 3G/4G network used 1700-2100 MHz frequency which is being reframed for LTE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You'll be fine as long as you're in a re-farmed 1900 MHz area for T-Mobile.

AniKhan

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

I myself purchased the us gsm version if I say take it to India will the phone work?

Posted via Android Central App

t1234

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

My us model works like a charm is asia - taiwan , HK n Bkk. The free international data on TMO connects for skype, whatsapp, Line, emails.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I myself purchased the us gsm version if I say take it to India will the phone work?

Posted via Android Central App

What frequencies are used there?

Brian Bulkowski

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I recently ran into this problem, and the short answer is some work - some don't - good luck.

GSM now comes in a lot of frequencies.

To know if a phone will work on a given GSM network, you need to know the frequencies that network supports, and the frequencies the phone supports. Good luck looking those up, but it can be done, but _has_ to be done for all networks and all phones.

If you can't attach to the data network, you can't authenticate a sim, and you can't receive phone calls.

For example, I had my Moto G US in the UK. It turns out the Moto G UK does not support the 2.1Ghz band, but does support 1.8Ghz. Therefore it can exist on Vodophone and O2 and MVNOs of those networks. It can't exist on 3 (the network). My fail to buy a SIM card on 3, which didn't work. I can't tell what Lycamobile uses - most people said Vodaphone - but I was unsure.

If your phone supports 1.8Ghz, as the Moto US versions do, you'll be able to attach to SOME GSM network. It's a very popular frequency. If you get the Moto Global version, it'll cover some other really popular new frequencies, but not the 1.9 that TMobile uses. However, your best way of figuring out if the phone works is to search for network operators in the area you're in. If you see the network operator in your phone's list, the phone can attach to it, and you should buy a sim.

I'm not even sure I'm right about what TMobile uses, what with the "re-farming" and everything.

Talking to someone at a cell phone store will be a source of frustration. They don't know the frequencies their network uses. They don't know what your phone supports. You'll just have to do your legwork before you go to a country.

I overheard one cell phone store employee stating falsehoods to one potential customer. I also couldn't buy a Vodaphone SIM - "the system for selling data sims is down" - for two days in the UK, never did buy one. Don't know what's up with that.

Short answer is: no guarantees, but the US phone with 1.8Ghz should give you options, but do your own research - check the frequencies of the phone, check the frequencies of the carriers, in the areas you plan to travel, and expect to get stranded once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma