Why I switched from Galaxy S4 to Moto G (in-depth)

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are reading this, you must think I'm crazy! Hold on however, as you might just be surprised (I definitely was). Below are 10 reasons why I decided to sell my Galaxy S4 and keep my moto g as my primary device (and I have no regrets). (Just FYI, I am on AT&T with about a year + 4 months left on contract) TLDR at bottom

1. It's Faster 9 times out of 10: Wait... WHAT? Yes, I %#@& you not, this little guy outperformed my super-premium flagship Galaxy s4 in almost every category. Real world tests: Opening dialer, messaging, multitasking, camera, clock, and gallery were all about a second faster on the moto g. It also booted up on avg 6 seconds faster. Thanks Touchwiz...

2. Build quality: I know most people will throw a cover-up case on either phone (the moto g grip case looks amazing though), but it's been a little hard to find a moto g case locally, so I've been going naked. The phone feels great in the hands and is quite a looker. The soft-touch back feels great, as well as the curves, and it makes my Galaxy s4 look like a plastic toy in comparison. I actually always thought the galaxy s4 was a little too thin for my personal taste.

3 . The money ALONE is worth the trade:. Let me explain. Yes, the moto g is $179 off contract (I bought the $199 16gb version), which in itself is AMAZING, but that is not what I'm talking about here. With contract services, mine being AT&T, I paid $199 for the Galaxy S4, PLUS an additional $40/month just for the right to own the phone. Add in my $45/month family share plan and I'm paying $95/month for 24 months, PLUS the $199 up-front cost. Do the math and you are paying $1160 JUST FOR THE PHONE. The moto g costs $199. Moving on.

4. Freedom of choice: Since the moto g is unlocked, I can go with several options. For example, I can use AT&T's new $45/month prepaid plan with unlimited talk + text + 300mb data, or go with Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited everything. As noted in the comments, you can use any gsm carrier, not Verizon atm. I can do whatever works best for me.

5. No root required for WiFi tethering: I HATED that AT&T charged you extra just to use WiFi tethering. With my moto g, it is enabled out of the box. I just popped in my AT&T sim card, turned on Wifi tethering, and I was good to go. No loops to be gone through

6. Battery life is much better: It's getting quite cold where I live, so battery life is going to be less than ideal for any phone, but I compared both of them together for 3 days doing the exact same functions, and the difference was shocking. I expected the moto g to be a little less than the galaxy s4, because I really thought my galaxy s4 was doing well. Here are my averages:
Galaxy s4: I normally lose 5% every hour, so about 20 hours on battery before she quit. (3-4 hrs on-screen time)
Moto g: I was loosing about 3% every hour, and got anywhere from 30-40 hours before it died. (4-5 hrs on-screen time)
Now you have to take into consideration the moto g is pushing about 100 less ppi, on a smaller screen, and calls were made over HSPA+, not 4G. But still. Wow.

7. The lock screen: I know this will seem stupid, but with the AT&T version at least, putting custom ROMS on the Galaxy s4 was pretty much impossible. I saw one version just released a few days ago. So that took what, almost 6 months? So for 6 months, not matter what I wanted to change on my lock screen, my stupid missed calls and messages ALWAYS popped up in that ugly big box on the Samsung widget, and you couldn't delete that widget. With the moto g, you can pretty much do whatever you want and it plays nicely.

8. One-handed use: I really loved the Galaxy s4's screen. Believe me. It is BEAUTIFUL. It's better than the moto g's, no doubt about it. However, the moto g is just so easy to use in one hand, and the fact that I'm still getting 329 ppi (more than the iPhone 5), with better battery life, makes the switch much easier for me.

9. Motorola + updates: Being an American, I guess I'm just a little biased, but I really appreciate what Motorola (An American company) is trying to do. Their president is a really likable guy, and he has a passion for his customers, not just money. You can tell, as the moto g has just a 5% profit per unit, while the Galaxy s4 is around 30%. Take a look at this interview if you want more info, I think you will enjoy it. I know the moto g wasn't made in America, but they have plans to move all their phones here soon. Also, the moto g is getting Android 4.4 in a few weeks, while my AT&T Galaxy S4 was stuck on 4.2.2. My case was a problem I believe, but the AT&T rep said the rollout had not "reached my region" yet. I'm in Florida...

Interview: MKBHD Hangout with Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside! - YouTube

10. Finally. The phone just works: This phone is for the person who doesn't want to have features thrown in their face, and just wants a great smartphone that is reliable and just works. Opening apps, playing games, browsing the web, and making phone calls is just an enjoyable experience. The UI stays out of your way, and the phone is pretty snappy.

I have to throw in some bad things about the moto g, so here we go: I'm not saying the moto g is MUCH better than the Galaxy s4, because on paper, it clearly isn't. And if I wasn't on AT&T, I might have flashed a custom rom with better battery life, and a snappier UI, and been on my way. But for the reasons above, I think the moto g is better FOR ME. Here are a few things that might turn you off from the moto g.
1. The camera. It's not BAD, but it's not going to get you anything better than facebook-worthy pictures.
2. No NFC or IR blaster.
3. No 4G. It's not as bad as you think, at least if you are on AT&T or T-mobile, as they use HSPA+. I didn't notice a difference on speed with mine, but if you are using Verizon, the 3G vs 4G speed would probably be a bit of a turn off.

TLDR; The moto g stays out of your way and gives you what you need in a very fast, very reliable package. It's also WAY cheaper (see reason 3). I would recommend it to anyone.

If you read all the way through, thanks! I hope you got some useful information out of it. Please comment and let me know what you think. I've had the moto g 16gb version for about a week now, and I would love to answer any questions you may have. :) Happy holidays

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why I switched from Galaxy S4 to Moto g (in-depth)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope they help some make an informed choice.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Heck, I can even go with Verizon.
No, you can't with the current Moto G; it is GSM only. It does not have CDMA on it. Supposedly Verizon is getting a Verizon CDMA Moto G early next year for its prepaid service. But I don't know if it will have GSM capabilities since it is only for their prepaid service.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

3 . The money ALONE is worth the trade:. Let me explain. Yes, the moto g is $179 off contract (I bought the $199 16gb version), which in itself is AMAZING, but that is not what I'm talking about here. With contract services, mine being AT&T, I paid $199 for the Galaxy S4, PLUS an additional $40/month just for the right to own the phone. Add in my $45/month family share plan and I'm paying $95/month for 24 months, PLUS the $199 up-front cost. Do the math and you are paying $1160 JUST FOR THE PHONE. The moto g costs $199. Moving on.

Wouldn't you still be in AT&T contract if bought a Galaxy S4?

4. Freedom of choice: Since the moto g is unlocked, I can go with several options. For example, I can use AT&T's new $45/month prepaid plan with unlimited talk + text + 300mb data, or go with Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited everything. Heck, I can even go with Verizon. I can do whatever works best for me.

You can't take it to Verizon. You can use it on a new plan (like GoPhone or AIO). But aren't you still in a contract from your GS4 purchase? Unless you did the swap during your return/cancel window.

5. No root required for WiFi tethering: I HATED that AT&T charged you extra just to use WiFi tethering. With my moto g, it is enabled out of the box. I just popped in my AT&T sim card, turned on Wifi tethering, and I was good to go. No loops to be gone through

The carrier you end up choosing may notify you that you're on an incorrect plan if you try to tether without paying for it (or it being a part of your plan). Depends on the carrier though.

I have to throw in some bad things about the moto g, so here we go:
2. No NFC or IR blaster. NFC Emulation is coming in Android 4.4, so that will be fixed, but I do miss my IR blaster.

The Moto G doesn't have NFC and KitKat's Host Card Emulation won't add the necessary hardware.

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

No, you can't with the current Moto G; it is GSM only. It does not have CDMA on it. Supposedly Verizon is getting a Verizon CDMA Moto G early next year for its prepaid service. But I don't know if it will have GSM capabilities since it is only for their prepaid service.

Fixed this, thank you.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I would, yes, but that is not what I was trying to point out. If you are NOT on a current contract, you would be saving about $900 by purchasing this phone and using prepaid vs getting an S4 on contract at $199.

You can't take it to Verizon. You can use it on a new plan (like GoPhone or AIO). But aren't you still in a contract from your GS4 purchase? Unless you did the swap during your return/cancel window.

Not relevant. Again, I meant you could go to any GSM carrier provided you have the moto g and are not currently in contract.

The carrier you end up choosing may notify you that you're on an incorrect plan if you try to tether without paying for it (or it being a part of your plan). Depends on the carrier though.

They can only do this if you are using a subsidized phone from them (ie: Galaxy s4).

The Moto G doesn't have NFC and KitKat's Host Card Emulation won't add the necessary hardware.

Kitkat introduces Host Card Emulation (HCE). This allows phones without NFC hardware to make NFC exchanges. It's basically artificial NFC. Please take a look at this video. It will start at the NFC Emulation part. Top 5 Android 4.4 Kitkat Features! - YouTube

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I would, yes, but that is not what I was trying to point out. If you are NOT on a current contract, you would be saving about $900 by purchasing this phone and using prepaid vs getting an S4 on contract at $199.

Not relevant. Again, I meant you could go to any GSM carrier provided you have the moto g and are not currently in contract.

Your thread is titled "Why I switched from Galaxy S4 to Moto g (in-depth)" so I assume these reasons list explicitly refer to benefits you are gaining from switching. But then you're still in contract, not gaining anything except the additional funds gained from (potentially) selling your GS4.

They can only do this if you are using a subsidized phone from them (ie: Galaxy s4).

Not necessarily true.

Kitkat introduces Host Card Emulation (HCE). This allows phones without NFC hardware to make NFC exchanges. It's basically artificial NFC. Please take a look at this video. It will start at the NFC Emulation part. Top 5 Android 4.4 Kitkat Features! - YouTube

And? Pay attention to the pop-up text in the video. "Update: HCE emulates the secure elements in NFC transactions. You still need an NFC chip to use it!"

Prior to this, you needed a new physical SIM card with the "secure element". What host card emulation does it emulate that - not NFC. So no, with KitKat, you won't be gaining NFC functionality.

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Your thread is titled "Why I switched from Galaxy S4 to Moto g (in-depth)" so I assume these reasons list explicitly refer to benefits you are gaining from switching. But then you're still in contract, not gaining anything except the additional funds gained from (potentially) selling your GS4.

Not necessarily true.

And? Pay attention to the pop-up text in the video. "Update: HCE emulates the secure elements in NFC transactions. You still need an NFC chip to use it!"

Prior to this, you needed a new physical SIM card with the "secure element". What host card emulation does it emulate that - not NFC. So no, with KitKat, you won't be gaining NFC functionality.

Thank you Ry for being so critical. This thread was not only to show why I changed, but also to show why others might choose this over a contract. I'm very aware that I am still on contract. The NFC Emulation change was something I was not aware of and has been fixed accordingly. You can always use SuperBeam or Bump to share files in almost the same way. The only thing you are missing is NFC payments, which aren't practical right now anyway.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I just received a G this morning and I'm totally impressed by it. I purchased this as a gift to my mother, but if I'm ever in a pinch I will definitely get one for myself.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thank you Ry for being so critical. This thread was not only to show why I changed, but also to show why others might choose this over a contract. I'm very aware that I am still on contract. The NFC Emulation change was something I was not aware of and has been fixed accordingly. You can always use SuperBeam or Bump to share files in almost the same way. The only thing you are missing is NFC payments, which aren't practical right now anyway.

You're welcome. lol. I just don't want someone that is in the same situation as you (still on-contract) to think that they'll be saving a great deal by replacing their current phone with a Moto G.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

How many people actually using NFC?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

1160 isn't for the phone, you pay the contract price or off contract price and you'll spend at most 700 the rest for service.

But strange list, if if works for you that's all that matters, anything is better than an iPhone

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I do use it with NFC tags to adjust volume/bluetooth, etc. in the car, home or work. But honestly, for now it's an overrated feature. As far as using it for pay and go, it is much easier for me to pull out a touch and pay CC than; 1) pull out my phone. 2) swipe it on 3) turn on wallet 4) enter PIN 5) wait for it to authenticate 6) finally finish the transaction.

NFC is still in its infancy. I remember USB in its infancy and it was pretty irrelevant for a few years. NFC may mature and become useful but today it is not a need. Bottom line is you won't miss it in any phone you purchase in the near future.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Been using Google Wallet and NFC in general for years. Thousands of transactions all over the place. While I'll say it still blows many cashier's or bystander's minds, very often now someone mentions how cool Google Wallet or Nexus devices are (generally more surprised "they" know Nexus), so I reckon a LOT more people are using it these days. Too bad Apple hasn't gotten on board or your Grandma would probably be using it;)

OP glad you're happy with your purchase. I doubt you'd find too many enthusiats that agree with your sentiments, but I'm thinking the Moto G will be the perfect "cheap" device for many people. I almost picked one up for my Mom, but found a great deal on a Nexus 4 instead.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco21