New Moto G - Missing some features I am used to

jcrhea

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am relatively new to android but have had a LG G2 for a couple months now. I just recently purchased the 16GB moto G for my son and it is very different. Several things I am used to don't seem to be available and I wondered if I could get some help to understand how to enable these things -

• Lock Screen doesn't have any notifications - sms message count, phone calls missed, etc. Also, no drag an app to unlock phone and launch it (with count notifications).
  • On the home screen, none of the icons have notifications for how many events you missed (ie 5 SMS waiting, 6 emails, 2 missed calls).
  • Is there a way to change the buttons at the bottom of the screen to be something else? (Back, Home, Running Apps)
  • Can the Google toolbar at the top be removed to make room for more icons?

Overall I like this phone a lot for the money. I appreciate any help you can give me.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am relatively new to android but have had a LG G2 for a couple months now. I just recently purchased the 16GB moto G for my son and it is very different. Several things I am used to don't seem to be available and I wondered if I could get some help to understand how to enable these things -

• Lock Screen doesn't have any notifications - sms message count, phone calls missed, etc. Also, no drag an app to unlock phone and launch it (with count notifications).
  • On the home screen, none of the icons have notifications for how many events you missed (ie 5 SMS waiting, 6 emails, 2 missed calls).
  • Is there a way to change the buttons at the bottom of the screen to be something else? (Back, Home, Running Apps)

Overall I like this phone a lot for the money. I appreciate any help you can give me.

1. This is customized by LG on your LG2. I use Dashclock which provides counts on the lockscreen (using a lockscreen widget)
2.This is customized by LG on your LG2. I again use Dash clock which provides the counts on my home page. You can also try a launcher (apaid version will have these features) that has this functionality
3. Those are locked
4. If you are referring to the search bar, that is locked but again, you can use a different launcher.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

well, Moto G has Android stock so pretty much anything that is related to LG Android customizations will be missing!

but you can use launchers/lockscreen apps to further customize everything!

i also have a Moto G and i'm using Nova Launcher...it is possible to remove Google search bar, add/remove how many screens i want, customize icon docks, move icons wherever i want and so on...

just search for Nova Launcher on Google Play and read all the stuff you can do! i think, except for lockscreen, it does pretty much all you want!

and i super recomend this launcher! its rly light, its just like stock android and it doesent mess with your phone performance!

sent from my Moto G <3

jcrhea

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the notes guys. At least I am not crazy that I couldn't find this stuff!

What about a messaging app? The stock one seems pretty crappy along with the keyboard. (compared to the G2 anyway). Any recommendations on a keyboard and messaging app? There aren't even any little yellow smiley faces...

I didn't realize how much extra I got with the G2. I am happier and happier with that by the minute!

Appreciate all the help!
John

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the notes guys. At least I am not crazy that I couldn't find this stuff!

What about a messaging app? The stock one seems pretty crappy along with the keyboard. (compared to the G2 anyway). Any recommendations on a keyboard and messaging app? There aren't even any little yellow smiley faces...

I didn't realize how much extra I got with the G2. I am happier and happier with that by the minute!

Appreciate all the help!
John

Each Manufacturer offers customization. I prefer stock personally but to each his own.

For messaging, there are so many options, here are three:

1. 8SMS (looks like stock but more customization)
2. Hello (very modern and looks great)
3. Hangouts

I personally like the Google keyboard that comes with the Moto G. Also, the yellow smiley faces will be coming in the Kitkat Update in January.
For atlernatives, Swiftkey and Swype are solid.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Appreciate all the help!
John

The trade-off for manufacturer extras is in the time it takes to get OS updates.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The trade-off for manufacturer extras is in the time it takes to get OS updates.

Posted via Android Central App

And this thread shows why updates (and the speed of updates) isn't relevant for most consumers.

wrj54

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Any recommendations on a keyboard and messaging app? There aren't even any little yellow smiley faces...
John

I use Swiftkey and really like it. It learns your most used words and makes suggestions better than other keyboards I have tried.

Also, I would give a big thumbs up for the Nova Launcher. I use it on several Android devices.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, you can use Dodol launcher and dodol lock screen it has missed call count, unread sms, unread emails (gmail).

It also have built in battery and ram indicator.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary