SIM not recognised on Moto G

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my Moto G for a couple of weeks now and every now and then the phone would say that there is no SIM card in the device and I would just have to pull it out and put it back in to resolve it. But this isn't working at all now and the card appears to be completely unrecognisable.

Has anyone had any experience like this/knows what I can do to resolve it? Its such a pain in the arse as the Moto G is such a good little phone but I can't use it to its full capabilities!

For the record I'm on Virgin Mobile UK using a nano SIM card with an adapter to make it a micro SIM.

Cheers

Posted via Android Central App

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my Moto G for a couple of weeks now and every now and then the phone would say that there is no SIM card in the device and I would just have to pull it out and put it back in to resolve it. But this isn't working at all now and the card appears to be completely unrecognisable.

Has anyone had any experience like this/knows what I can do to resolve it? Its such a pain in the arse as the Moto G is such a good little phone but I can't use it to its full capabilities!

For the record I'm on Virgin Mobile UK using a nano SIM card with an adapter to make it a micro SIM.

Cheers

Its not uncommon for SIMs to give out. After a few rewrites they tend to die. Changing phones can accelerate this. I would suggest giving another SIM a try. The G in general is a great phone.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
And I wouldn't use any kind of SIM adaptor.

Some people may swear by them, but they can damage the connecting pins inside the phone and they can also jam. Always get your network provider to send you the appropriate sized SIM card: better safe than sorry and usually takes 2-3 days.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Some people may swear by them, but they can damage the connecting pins inside the phone and they can also jam. Always get your network provider to send you the appropriate sized SIM card: better safe than sorry and usually takes 2-3 days.

This is probably generally good advice, but if someone swaps between a couple different phones with different SIM card sizes, it's not practical. If you're careful, adapters usually work pretty well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah I worried about that myself, actually. It does say on the Motorola website that you shouldn't use one with it, but Virgin didn't send me a Micro SIM (only Nano SIM with Micro SIM adapter) and when I asked specifically for a Micro SIM they sent me the same thing again, so I wasn't really sure if they actually make Micro SIM cards. Do you know if they do?

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've just rang Virgin and they say they don't manufacture Micro SIM cards anymore. Is there any way of getting round this or do I just need to drop them and use another provider?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've just rang Virgin and they say they don't manufacture Micro SIM cards anymore. Is there any way of getting round this or do I just need to drop them and use another provider?

No, you need to use the nano SIM with adapter that they sent you. :p Just use caution, don't force anything, and you will be fine!

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
No, you need to use the nano SIM with adapter that they sent you. :p Just use caution, don't force anything, and you will be fine!

Yeah I do use it and its still not working. I click it out and back in again and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. On the off chance that it is recognised it just stops working after about half an hour.

Are you with Virgin on the Moto G?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It may or may not be the adaptor, but for reasons explained I personally dislike them.

I cannot believe that Virgin do not provide a micro SIM. I've got micro SIMs from o2, Tesco Mobile, T Mobile, Vodafone and Three over the past few months with no problem at all. On a side note, went out to pick up a G myself today and can't get the effing back off!!! *GRRR* :mad::mad::mad:

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I do use it and its still not working. I click it out and back in again and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. On the off chance that it is recognised it just stops working after about half an hour.

Oh sorry, I missed the assumption that you were using it. I thought you were leery of using the adapter and therefore you didn't. I guess I don't have an answer for you , except maybe try a different adapter? Noosy makes a good one with a lining on the back of the SIM card. I believe nano SIMs are thinner. Maybe your adapter isn't holding the SIM card tight enough against the contacts. A Noosy adapter or another brand with a back on it might help.

Are you with Virgin on the Moto G?

No, I live in the US. And I don't have a Moto G.

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a moto g and am on Virgin Mobile in the UK. I use a nano sim with the adaptor and so far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems.

You say you ordered a second one, perhaps try that sim and adaptor, maybe you just for unlucky with a faulty first one?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Jerry Bush

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Are by chance using the replacement flip cover?

Mine started doing what you are describing. I did not connect the two until I took the flip cover off for an unrelated reason. After that, the issue quit happening.

Jerry

Rocknocker

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Scratchyjam
I'm just experiencing exactly the same problem: Moto G with Virgin UK nano SIM in micro adapter. Now doesn't read SIM.
Did you resolve this issue? Have you had any help from Motorola?

Nicole Summers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Rocknocker,

The Moto G does not support adapters of any kind and it might actually damage the SIM card slot if you use one. Virgin has this policy that they don't provide any micro SIM cards anymore and they send out adapters. That can break your SIM slot! Hopefully it's not that - have someone in a shop check on the phone. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Nicole

Rocknocker

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
When I ordered the Moto G I downloaded the UK User Guide pdf, and it says nothing about not using a SIM adapter. Anyway, full marks to Motorolla after sales. After 2 phone calls (quickly answered) and a couple of Emails, they arranged for the phone to be fixed free of charge under warranty. It was back in 5 days (the SIM slot repaired/replaced). As for Virgin, they have now supplied a sort-of proper micro SIM (a micro SIM, but with pre-scored cut so the nano portion can be popped out). All working again now.

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Try using a Sim card from another carrier just to check the sim slot is not broken
If it works then we know its because of the adapter they gave you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki