insufficient storage available error?

GeorgeeOglee

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
So I'm having an issue with my Moto G, when trying to install apps I get an "insufficient storage available" error despite the fact I have 500MB+ free and the apps I'm trying to install are all at most 50MB. After Google searching a lot I discovered it was a common problem among android phones with 4.2.2 and up (sidenote, my device is 4.3) and usually is related to the phone trying to install onto the internal memory before the external. Now the problem here is, the Moto G only has internal memory, so none of the fixes I've found such as changing the boot order round so that it installs to the external first, will help in my case.

I'm completely stumped and any help would be appreciated!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So I'm having an issue with my Moto G, when trying to install apps I get an "insufficient storage available" error despite the fact I have 500MB+ free and the apps I'm trying to install are all at most 50MB. After Google searching a lot I discovered it was a common problem among android phones with 4.2.2 and up (sidenote, my device is 4.3) and usually is related to the phone trying to install onto the internal memory before the external. Now the problem here is, the Moto G only has internal memory, so none of the fixes I've found such as changing the boot order round so that it installs to the external first, will help in my case.

Android tries to keep at least 10% of memory free for the normal function of the device..

it went pass the threshold i believe

GeorgeeOglee

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Android tries to keep at least 10% of memory free for the normal function of the device..

it went pass the threshold i believe

But the thing is, I tried uninstalling an app already on my phone and reinstalling it to confirm that theory, for this example Temple Run 2, and I couldn't reinstall it afterwards which makes me think that's not the case

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
But the thing is, I tried uninstalling an app already on my phone and reinstalling it to confirm that theory, for this example Temple Run 2, and I couldn't reinstall it afterwards which makes me think that's not the case

when was the last time you installed an app before this??

from that time to now you might have downloaded files,apps & OS might have used some space which would have exceeded the remaining quota...

uninstalling one app probably wouldnt have made it below the limit...

try removing music/video/doc files(to be safe about 150 mb at least) from G for time being and try again

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
have you checked the cache memory?
in time, it starts to pill up and takes a lot of space...mine is prolly at 300Mb already!

that's why it's good to periodically clean it!

sent from my Moto G <3

GeorgeeOglee

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
have you checked the cache memory?
in time, it starts to pill up and takes a lot of space...mine is prolly at 300Mb already!

that's why it's good to periodically clean it!

sent from my Moto G <3

I erased the cache multiple times, even have a handy little widget on one of my home screens now which erases it in one click!

I discovered the source of the problem though, it seems that what still1 suggested was true. I erased all my music entirely and was able to install apps again before putting most of my music back whilst giving the memory a little space to breath.

Thanks again to those who offered help!

GabrielMer

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I own a Moto G, It comes with 8gb internal memory (includes sdcard emulated I guess in order to work when plugging the phone via MTP)
I have less than 500mb of free space now,
apps storage is 1.68GB.

Now I get out of space error, will this mean the phone apps limit is around that amount of GB?
What can I do to see exactly the available amount for apps?

EDIT: I delete about 500mb of music, and then I could install and 2.5MB app.
Maybe the limit is a % available of the memory and not only for apps? now the free space is about 1GB in my phone...

Last edited:

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a third party cache cleaner - you can clean cache from Settings/Storage with a long press on 'Cached Data' in 4.4+

You learn something new...

That kicked me from 2.9GB free to 3.4GB free. Great! Thanks for the tip...didn't know it was built into KitKat.

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I knew memory management was going to be a lot more important with only 8GB on the phone.

That 3.4GB free is with all my "daily driver" apps installed. Anything big that I might use occasionally, I just pull down from the Play Store right before I use, and uninstall right after.

I'd like to keep certainly more than 2.5GB free if possible for performance reasons. I can put all media on the MicroSD card I have...the USB OTG cable/MicroSD card reader combo works great.

prasath2345

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey install root browser but for that u need to root your phone ND go to Android /sys/lib/app then see whether your already have the same app you are trying to install if app is there then delete that app ND reinstall again.

Posted via Android Central App

gayjudd10

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
You can also check to see if any failed app install is lingering in your system folder. Use a file explorer app to look in storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/ and see if there are any folders listed there. If so, you can likely delete them safely (poke around in the folder a bit to make sure, but you should be able to tell simply by the folder name). I had a 145GB (!) app that failed to install and was taking up some serious room even after a cache wipe.

Mike Durfee

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

I have this exact same problem on my droid Maxx and no one seems to be any help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae