Consumer Cellular & Moto G

jkbeaudin

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
After not getting anywhere with Consumer Cellular (CC) Support (friendly but not knowledgeable at all about Moto G - 1st stated "it is a locked device"). Tried numerous settings in APN with CC and numerous power off & on and still the Moto G is not connecting to data. WiFi works great to my wifi router. Voice works great and has 4/5 bars. But can't get 3G working. I do turn off Wifi while trying to get 3G data working.

Anyone have any knowledge of the correct APN info on the Moto G for data connection to Consumer Cellular?

Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
After not getting anywhere with Consumer Cellular (CC) Support (friendly but not knowledgeable at all about Moto G - 1st stated "it is a locked device"). Tried numerous settings in APN with CC and numerous power off & on and still the Moto G is not connecting to data. WiFi works great to my wifi router. Voice works great and has 4/5 bars. But can't get 3G working. I do turn off Wifi while trying to get 3G data working.

Anyone have any knowledge of the correct APN info on the Moto G for data connection to Consumer Cellular?

Thanks

see if this old thread helps http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/162174-data-settings-consumer-cellular.html

or this

https://www.consumercellular.com/Support/Knowledgebase/2/42/183?qid=141

jkbeaudin

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the threads. This one did the trick for my new Moto G on Consumer Cellular. Don't know about MMS - but browsing the internet works. 1st time smart phone (long time PC user), so we don't use much Smart Phone abilities but wanted to jump in. Will only turn data on when we need it but try to use WIFI much of the time.

Again thanks for the info!

Jim

Thanks to all who helped me set up my unlocked Morotola Atrix MB860 to work with Consumer Cellular.
I tried all the combnations that you sent me, but couldn't find one that would let me do Internet access. I finally called Consumer Cellular 5 different times until I got the most wonderful and helpful customer service rep who went out of her way to stay on the phone with me for over an hour until we found the right combination of entries. The phone works just fine now, so here are the final results of our efforts. Please let me know if these worked for you too!

First, call Consumer Cellular and have them text you the settings that they have to set up a new APN for a Motorola phone. When you get the text, just follow the instructions to download it to your Access point names file. The APN name will most likely be Consumer Cellular. After you have completed the download, do the following: press SETTINGS, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks, and Access point names. You should see a name for Consumer Cellular. Open this APN. Make sure that each of the following is as listed below. Where I have said to (leave blank), it means not to enter anything. DO NOT type in the words "leave blank"! If Consumer Cellular has given you a different entry in the text message download, change it to what is below.

Name: Consumer Cellular
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
Port: 80
Username: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)
Server: (leave blank)
MMSC: (leave blank)
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: (leave blank)
APN type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota
APN protocol: IPv4

After you complete the above entries, go bak one screen to the APN list and touch the Consumer Cellular name to highlight the circle to the right of the name. That will select this APN as the one to open when you access the internet. Consumer Cellular recommended then a hard shut off of the phone. Then turn it on and turn off any WiFi connection that might be on just so you can test the new APN without the phone trying to select any WiFi system first. If you can now connect to the internet, you can then turn any WiFi back on so the phone can automatically choose which one to use.

Hope this helps. Do let me know.

Cris Castro
<email removed per posting rules>

Last edited by a moderator:

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It did help Cris! We did in the end have to keep tweaking and found some other info...after trying a number of combinations of peoples tips and with some help from a CC CSR we finally found our magic configuration. Below are the differences between the two set ups. Hopefully it can help someone too. Oh and yes you do need to call Consumer Cellular to activate them. That in itself caused a delay. grrr...(not stated on the paper work sent)

Name: Consumer Cellular >> ConsumerCellular
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
Port: 80
Username: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)
Server: (leave blank)
MMSC: (leave blank)
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com >>> 66.209.11.32
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: (leave blank) >>>> PAP (Is there any issue in using PAP?)
APN type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota >>> note: no spaces
APN protocol: IPv4

It was a great relief to finally get our phones up and running. We are pleasantly surprised at how well we are adapting. Thanks again.

butt_ugly

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for 4.4.3 to come to my Consumer Cellular Moto G until they answered my email about updates. Seems they do not push updates for their android phones. Is it possible to dump their service, update via Motorola using wifi and then resubscribe?

TzarIgor

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Those settings did the trick! My Moto G can now access data via Consumer Cellular.
There are a lot of other settings posted on this forum and other sites that are "stale" .. or did not work for me.
Should bump up the priority in the search results.

Paul Weyer

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
This setup did the trick. I was spending a lot of time on the Consumer Cellular site trying to find this information to no avail.

Thanks for the concise and correct configuration!

Seth Krieger1

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
These settings also work on my new Nexus 5x and my old Samsung Galaxy S3.

FYI, proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com is the same thing as the IP address 66.209.11.13. In general, it is better to use the verbose version (proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com) just in case the IP address is changed at some point in the future. I also think it is best to leave out the authentication unless you can't get a connection without it.

Another thing I have found is that if an APN configuration doesn't work, your best bet is deleting it and starting over rather than attempting to edit it.