My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2. So now what? :-D

Tara100

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I'm new to android phones, but have read a few excited posts about the 4.4.2 update.
Now it's actually happened, what should I expect to be new / different or better? :)

All help will be appreciated!

Regards
Tara

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone fancy posting our bedtime battery stats with KitKat? People claim it's better than what it is right now with the Moto G, but mine is already fantastic (right now), only goes down 3-4% and I have quite a few apps installed. I did have an issue with Media Server before but a factory reset seemed to have fixed that.

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Strange...I'm in the UK and no update for me...KitKat hates me, lol.

What network are you on? A few Moto G updates will be handed out when the networks feel like it, I have a Tesco Moto G which has been unlocked to work with Ovivo (of Vodafone) and my update came straight away.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My Tesco MotoG offered the update late last night.

What's new - really not that much - transparent status and nav bar and a new settings icon are the most obvious UI changes, new stock Email App along the lines of Gmail, new Dialer app, new Gallery app, ability to switch easily between stock and user installed launchers from Settings, printing from the device, some extra options in Developer Options including experimental ART runtime rather than Dalvik and 'Geeky stats about running processes' (great name for a settings entry). Repeatedly touch Build Number in About Phone to unhide Developer Options in Settings.

What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!

Time will tell if performance & battery life is better/worse than the original 4.3.

Edit - improved Antutu benchmark - 17611, compared to 17200ish on 4.3.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!.

Plus browser text wrap no longer works and no GPS locked icon anymore - two more reasons why I won't be upgrading.

Tara100

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

What's new - really not that much - transparent status and nav bar and a new settings icon are the most obvious UI changes, new stock Email App along the lines of Gmail, new Dialer app, new Gallery app, ability to switch easily between stock and user installed launchers from Settings, printing from the device, some extra options in Developer Options including experimental ART runtime rather than Dalvik and 'Geeky stats about running processes' (great name for a settings entry). Repeatedly touch Build Number in About Phone to unhide Developer Options in Settings.

What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!

Time will tell if performance & battery life is better/worse than the original 4.3.

Edit - improved Antutu benchmark - 17611, compared to 17200ish on 4.3.

Hello!

Ah well, we are stuck with it now, but as with any other significant update, there will be future positive upgrades to follow so it's not all bad news. It's kinda like updating IE, you love it / hate it, but eventually down the line, you've gotta do it :)

I've just printed a photo and a document from my phone, though because I'm new to androids and only got the phone a couple of weeks ago, I may have been able to do this before (though it was incredibly easy to do)

Where you said: "user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore" - Have you tried the CPU-Z app? I think it might offer you what you need, and some more :)

Tara

Tara100

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
As some UK Moto G owners have replied, I thought I'd ask....

Have any of you sourced a Motorola branded wall charger that's reasonably priced?
I've read that the chargers of other Motorola phones will work with the Moto G, but of course, without seeing the end fitting close up, there's no way of knowing which to go for.

Any ideas folks?

Tara

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason for wanting a Motorola branded wall charger?

As any wall charger will do that has a standard USB socket. As long as it provides at least 0.5amp output then it should work. To date I have used an HTC Wildfire S charger, Nexus 7 2012 charger, very cheap generic charger, slightly more expensive generic charger, USB from my laptop and I think I also used an original Kindle charger. All worked fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What network are you on? A few Moto G updates will be handed out when the networks feel like it, I have a Tesco Moto G which has been unlocked to work with Ovivo (of Vodafone) and my update came straight away.

Hi f2k8,
I bought my Moto G unlocked from Phones4u and took my sim from my old phone from Orange/EE...no updates are showing yet.
Doesn't sound much of an upgrade from what others have been saying as far as Moto G owners go...it's starting to sound like a downgrade.

Tara100

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm worried.
I just took a photo, and as the photo captured I saw 'battery less than 5%' then the message telling me to charge now. The phone then shut down immediately and switched itself back on. I then put the phone on charge and the battery is reading as fully charged! The phone's battery wasn't particularly low to begin with.

This is exactly what used to happen on my old iphone after its last significant update, and it wrecked the phone battery after a couple of repeated events and would no longer hold any charge at all.

Tara100

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
That's because your phone hasn't got the update yet (like discussed on your own thread) You might be better off moving the post above to there?

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Tara - I've got CPU-Z - it's Apps like Android Tuner / Better Battery Stats that don't provide as much info without root anymore. They are (were:)) useful for checking out in detail what apps/system functions are keeping the device awake when it's not in use and diagnosing any battery drain in standby issues.

Printing is a new feature and may be a biggie for some people - I like it. I also like a lot the ability to flip between launchers quickly, and the new photo editing in Gallery. The Dialer is definitely better as-well, and the Camera does seem a tiny bit more responsive. There are 3rd party Apps that can give access to USB storage via OTG without root - I've just tried OTG Disk Explorer and it works just fine forces closes quite regularly, but Nexus Media Importer seems to work just fine so that issue solved. Happy so far.

Last edited:

Kvoth

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for mine too. Does 4.4.2 get rid of the bloody carrier name in the status bar? Stupidest change they made to Android, utterly superfluous and mine takes up half the status bar :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie