Moto G lag after KitKat 4.4.2 update

jeffers90

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Got the notification to update to 4.4.2 this morning on my 8gb Moto G (bought from tesco, but unlocked it for all networks), updated and everything works great! Love the transparency and all the new subtle features.

However, I feel like there is a slight lag/jerkiness when swiping left and right between homescreens (and also some apps in which you can swipe horizontally) now, although it does not occur all the time. I don't believe it was there in 4.3 before the update, as it definitely felt "buttery smooth", and I have had no problems when scrolling vertically before or after the update.

I realise that this is only a minor niggle, on what is a great value phone, but just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed it?

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a Factory Data Reset as often needed after OS updates.

Hi MotoClive,
What exactly will a Factory Data Reset do to my Moto G ?...will it wipe all my data (apps, pictures, music etc) from my phone and I'll have to put everything back on ? Or does it only affect the OS and leave all my files where they were ?

Thanks,
Harv.!

* I googled factory resets on mobiles...no reply needed*

Last edited:

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Got the notification to update to 4.4.2 this morning on my 8gb Moto G (bought from tesco, but unlocked it for all networks), updated and everything works great! Love the transparency and all the new subtle features.

However, I feel like there is a slight lag/jerkiness when swiping left and right between homescreens (and also some apps in which you can swipe horizontally) now, although it does not occur all the time. I don't believe it was there in 4.3 before the update, as it definitely felt "buttery smooth", and I have had no problems when scrolling vertically before or after the update.

I realise that this is only a minor niggle, on what is a great value phone, but just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed it?

I noticed this too. I ended up switching to Nova launcher (basically same as default launcher but with additional options) and enabled aggressive desktop and WOW, this thing flies. Smooth as butter now, faster than 4.3

Hope this helps. Give nova a try. To enable aggressive desktop, scroll to the bottom of Nova settings, tap advanced, and select 'aggressive desktop'. It basically keeps nova on memory at all times so the phone never has to redraw the home screen, making every MUCH smoother.

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this too. I ended up switching to Nova launcher

Hi MrFluffbear,
Don't you think that's a bit crap, well actually it's more than a bit crap. An update shouldn't make your phone worse, if it does then they shouldn't be offering the update until the issues have been fixed...you shouldn't have to install a third party launcher to fix the problem.
Anyway, mini rant over, lol.
I'd rather keep a working properly Jellybean Moto G than a not working properly KitKat Moto G.

Harv.!

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi MrFluffbear,
Don't you think that's a bit crap, well actually it's more than a bit crap. An update shouldn't make your phone worse, if it does then they shouldn't be offering the update until the issues have been fixed...you shouldn't have to install a third party launcher to fix the problem.
Anyway, mini rant over, lol.
I'd rather keep a working properly Jellybean Moto G than a not working properly KitKat Moto G.

Harv.!

Oh I agree completely haha. But I wasn't about to stand for that. Google needs to hire some devs from Nova though, because they know how to optimize. Take a hint Google. (PS. 4.4.2 did add a lot of features, so it is still a plus)

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't notice the lag until I read this thread, the only homescreen on my phone that lags is the one with all my most used apps :/
But my battery has been brilliant, I'm on 60% now with 1d 1h gone on the stock battery analysis app. Really don't feel like doing a factory reset as I already had to do one on jellybean to fix my media server issue, but if it comes down to that, I may just have to. I'm also on Tesco but unlocked. Can't believe how good of a phone this is though! It just shocks me every day! Best ?89 I've ever spent!

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No OS/Launcher Lag noted on mine since updating yesterday - I use Apex Launcher normally anyway, but just used the handy new 'Home' section in Settings to flip back to the stock Launcher and no lag detectable there - I did Factory Reset after the OTA though. I can see that new 'Home' setting being handy for quickly switching between completely different launcher set-ups for different use types or just for the experimental - I'm warming to some of KitKat's 'minor' new features.

A couple my of third party apps do seem a bit flaky under KitKat though. XDA's forum app forum app struggles and lags if pulled up from Recent Apps, but is fine if swiped away and relaunched.

rwalton159

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I use Windows 8 launcher foc from Play.
With this I have my phone set exactly as I want it with power toggles at the bottom allowing me to switch things on and off very quick. So, I have a great launcher with a superb performing phone for ?99 c/o Tesco

Cant tell any difference with speed. Not sure about battery improvements as yet.

jeffers90

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this too. I ended up switching to Nova launcher (basically same as default launcher but with additional options) and enabled aggressive desktop and WOW, this thing flies. Smooth as butter now, faster than 4.3

Hope this helps. Give nova a try. To enable aggressive desktop, scroll to the bottom of Nova settings, tap advanced, and select 'aggressive desktop'. It basically keeps nova on memory at all times so the phone never has to redraw the home screen, making every MUCH smoother.

Thanks.

I have been playing around with Nova, and it definitely makes a difference - even without forcing the aggressive desktop mode!

As for the slight lag and jerkiness in apps, I'm assuming this is down to optimisations for Kitkat, as it only seems to affect a couple apps - although having said that, the Play Store seems to be affected the most, especially when clicking through to an app page and it loading up the screenshots!

Do you know if Nova hits the battery life significantly? I had my phone on all night, with the default launcher, on 2g signal and no wifi/Bluetooth and it didn't lose a single percentage of battery over about 10 hours!

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
...you shouldn't have to install a third party launcher to fix the problem.
Well I agree you shouldn't have to install a third party launcher to fix a problem and of course you don't have to, but if you do - depending upon your choice - you will get some pretty awesome customisation options (thinking Nova Prime here being totally unbiased, of course....;))

Last edited:

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

I have been playing around with Nova, and it definitely makes a difference - even without forcing the aggressive desktop mode!

As for the slight lag and jerkiness in apps, I'm assuming this is down to optimisations for Kitkat, as it only seems to affect a couple apps - although having said that, the Play Store seems to be affected the most, especially when clicking through to an app page and it loading up the screenshots!

Do you know if Nova hits the battery life significantly? I had my phone on all night, with the default launcher, on 2g signal and no wifi/Bluetooth and it didn't lose a single percentage of battery over about 10 hours!

It doesn't seem to. Yesterday my phone was on battery for 16 hours with 3 hours of screen on time and I was at 50%. Included some videos, internet, reddit, and gaming. 3g and WiFi on as well as location on.

jeffers90

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem to. Yesterday my phone was on battery for 16 hours with 3 hours of screen on time and I was at 50%. Included some videos, internet, reddit, and gaming. 3g and WiFi on as well as location on.

I agree, played with nova as my primary launcher and the battery life seemed to be okay!

I've flashed the stock UK 4.3 rom to test, but it seems that there was still a tiny bit of lag (which may or may not have been there originally!). But it's tolerable. Now just waiting for the notification to update to kitkat again, as I don't want to flash a kitkat rom and go through installing and transferring my data again!

Nicole Summers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
@shmotog: remaining files after an update can cause issues, so if anyone experiences funky issues which happen as well in safe mode, it is well worth a shot to reset the phone

@lagging home screen: An app such as cache cleaner from the Google Play Store might help

Cheers,

Nicole

Mick Conlon

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G (sourced from UK Amazon and running on 3 Network) upgraded to kitkat about 48 hours ago. Can't say that I see any performance deterioration. If anything , Id say it was smoother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo