Moto G: flip case for left handed people?

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Every flip case seems to be right right handed people, anyone found one for us lefties? ones that flip up top or bottom dont cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: flip case for left handed people?

Both my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law are both lefties. One thing they know (and have heard often) is that lefties get the short end of the stick, in many areas Sadly, this appears to be the case But if you look at it from a manufacturing standpoint... not everyone is going to buy a MotoG. Of those that do, not everyone will buy a flip case. Of those that do (or would), how many are lefties? Not that many if you look big picture. Then add in the leftie flip case in all the colors yet too... The cost of the "leftie" cases would either be dramatically higher because they cost more to manufacture at a lower volume of units, or the prices of MotoG accessories would have to be higher across the board to cover the cost of the leftie cases.

Either way, the cost of the case will rise, and the MotoG is supposed to remain as cheap as possible (and the same holds true for the accessories). Adding costs for a few leftie cases that may or may not sell well just doesn't make good economic sense -- and like it or not, Moto is there to take your money and put it in their bank account. The less it costs them to have more of your dollars the happier they are. Any business is like that.

But like I said at the start, lefties get the short end of the stick... not only are they statistically more accident prone, but they also statistically have shorter lifespans as well. Nevermind the awkwardness of using poorly designed lefty stuff, adapting to right-hand products, or simply just making-do.

Sucks, but there it is.... :-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Been poking around a little too. Like anything else leftie, not much comes up.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

another thing, if you use the phone in horizontal, the back button and menu bottons go on the right hand side, quite obviously as its expecting a right handed person is holding it with his right hand!

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

another thing, if you use the phone in horizontal, the back button and menu bottons go on the right hand side, quite obviously as its expecting a right handed person is holding it with his right hand!

I'm right handed but only ever hold my phone with my left hand. Am I weird?

I do this as I tend to be doing other things while on the phone and obviously do these with my right hand. Same with texting, hold phone in left and type with right :)

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

It is annoying that, so often, things are designed for right-handers even when they really don't need to be. Would it take so much effort to give us a setting to put the basic Android controls on the left side when the phone's horizontal? Having said that, I generally don't find the design of the flip case to be a problem.I don't use my thumb very much and generally hold the phone (or tablet) in my right hand and poke/slide with my left index finger.

Graham

jeswan

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, recently some research was done and found that 33%(!!!!!) of smart phone users hold their phones with their LEFT hand. So, the manufacturers are saying "buzz off" to 33% of the population.

Hmm, I wonder how they would fair if they said that to other minorities that are even less than 15%, say the blind, hard of hearing, or how about racial or religious minorities.

Sad, really. In fact, I find the Android operating system more hostile to lefties than the IOS world I just left behind. The biggest problem there was that your videos and pictures were all upside down. With Android it goes further. Sad. I'm VERY surprised that Android hasn't developed an "Left Hand - Right Hand" setting! They NEED to. About 15% of the worlds population is left handed. Again, would they ignore such a large minority if it were based on anything else???

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, recently some research was done and found that 33%(!!!!!) of smart phone users hold their phones with their LEFT hand. So, the manufacturers are saying "buzz off" to 33% of the population.

Hmm, I wonder how they would fair if they said that to other minorities that are even less than 15%, say the blind, hard of hearing, or how about racial or religious minorities.

Sad, really. In fact, I find the Android operating system more hostile to lefties than the IOS world I just left behind. The biggest problem there was that your videos and pictures were all upside down. With Android it goes further. Sad. I'm VERY surprised that Android hasn't developed an "Left Hand - Right Hand" setting! They NEED to. About 15% of the worlds population is left handed. Again, would they ignore such a large minority if it were based on anything else???

I solved this issue by installing Xposed Framework and GravityBox. Now I can rotate it any way I want it, have buttons wherever I want, pie controls, everything.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Really? I'm holding my phone in my left hand now and pecking out this post with my right index finger. The screen will rotate any which way you want, though.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Really? I'm holding my phone in my left hand now and pecking out this post with my right index finger. The screen will rotate any which way you want, though.

@mrsmumbles, he said you will experience this problem only if you are a racial or religious minority. It probably doesnt apply to you so you dont experience it :p

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles, he said you will experience this problem only if you are a racial or religious minority. It probably doesnt apply to you so you dont experience it :p

I use both hands to use my phones (even my little cheapo phone) so I'm amazed anyone can use these things one handed at all. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm left handed and hold my Note 3 with my right. I don't have the finger dexterity to peck/type with my right hand. I think this should be the more regular leftie stance. I have always moved a mouse with my right hand, just the way my early pc desks suited, but I would think anyone could use a mouse with either hand, save for gaming.

What do I think of my new Moto G? Thanks for asking.
I don't know, it's still in the box.

I want to find what starter apps I might need, that would be standard on a Samsung, and which flip cases work.
This Moto G forum is hard to search.
There are no stickies, or go to threads for the basics.
I guess too many wanted or have bought one.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm left handed and hold my Note 3 with my right. I don't have the finger dexterity to peck/type with my right hand. I think this should be the more regular leftie stance. I have always moved a mouse with my right hand, just the way my early pc desks suited, but I would think anyone could use a mouse with either hand, save for gaming.

What do I think of my new Moto G? Thanks for asking.
I don't know, it's still in the box.

I want to find what starter apps I might need, that would be standard on a Samsung, and which flip cases work.
This Moto G forum is hard to search.
There are no stickies, or go to threads for the basics.
I guess too many wanted or have bought one.

Hi Madd! What types of apps are you wanting? Just let us know because you will get a lot of answers. :D PS, my bad - when I first posted I didn't notice the topic is about cases. I'm not sure though, sounded like the poster I responded to was talking about their phone. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi Madd! What types of apps are you wanting? Just let us know because you will get a lot of answers. :D PS, my bad - when I first posted I didn't notice the topic is about cases. I'm not sure though, sounded like the poster I responded to was talking about their phone. :)

Hi MrsM! You've been roaming the forums too.

This didn't turn out to be about cases but I was trying a few threads anyway.
Not sure if the Moto Shell case protects the screen face down, and apparently their flip case is flawed.

It was a stupid post of mine as I should start up my new phone first.
I thought I could find a 'what you need to start' thread for the Moto G.
I heard some phones even need a dialler, and a messaging and camera app.
I will try and sit down with it tonight.

I got a trade in on a GS2 against a new Moto G LTE, unlocked. Still have the Note 3 on a new carrier with uld in the UK. Keen to see if the phone and data signal is actually better on the Motorola with the same sim.
I may start a thread, or keep you posted. I take it you tried one as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Haha, no I haven't tried one. Still on my Nexus 5. Not sure of it has a stock messaging app but it will have Hangouts you could use for everything. The stock dialer should be fine unless you want to change it, and ditto ditto for the other app. Do you need a notes app? A reading app? Music and videos?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Probably all those. I found Color Note and liked it for syncing between my 2 Samsungs, but will take tips.
I hope it has some software!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I use Color Note too. For texting I use Textra, Adobe for PDF files, Poweramp for music, MX Player for video... Yes it will have standard Google apps and a few from Moto. :)

For radio I use TuneIn (I think it does podcasts too, don't remember) and Spotify. Also Pandora. And I have a ton of apps for personal interests.