Which mobile network do you use with your Moto G, and why?

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I personally use 3 mobile for now...well because I'm on its payg, costs me 3p a min for calls 2 p for sms and 1p per mb for data. It's 3g, signal is good. Internet speed is real good, does HSPA+ or something like that. Which network do you guys use and what benefits or disadvantages do you see?

Last edited by a moderator:

FindingMoz

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Which mobile network do you use with your moto g, and why?

I use 3 too, although I originally switched to 3 from Orange back when Orange bumped up their pay as you go extras from ?5 for 500mb to ?7.50 (but I'm a low user, I'd never use that much)

Now with Three network it's 1p a MB I don't even bother getting any extras, speed is good. People complain about signal with 3 but in the Midlands, I've gone up onto the peaks and always had signal when I've needed it.

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I use Virgin Media Sim only deal in the UK that gives unlimited calls, texts, and Data for ?15 per month. Its a 30 day rolling contract so if you ever want to change to a lower tariff or go elsewhere you are only tied in for 30 days. Coverage is very good, no problems anywhere I have been

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I was with 3 for many years until I bought an XT890 last year.

It wouldn't hold a signal as well as any of my previous phones under certain conditions which was starting to cause me problems. As 3 no longer has a 2G backup network I had to switch, so after much trial and error I finally switched over to o2. I don't know whether the G would be any better in this regard, but for now I'm staying put.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

When you are looking for better mobile deals and tarriffs in the UK I would recommend going to the network's website, they often have deals and special tarriffs that they don't advertise elsewhere. I'm with Orange/EE and that's how I found a stupidly low deal. I don't use anywhere near the inclusive minutes, texts and data I get every month, but I calculated from my usage that it was far cheaper than any of the pay as you go tarriffs from any network...and because my 12 month contract ran out I'm on a rolling month to month which means if I come across a better/cheaper sim deal I can switch when I want.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What stupidly low deal are you on please.

My wife, daughter and I are on giffgaff.

Posted via Android Central App

Hi rwalton159,
I was initially on something called "Dolphin 7", they changed the online deal now to this which is a touch more expensive than what I pay...
Sim only, 12 months, 500 anytime minutes, 100MB mobile internet & 500 texts for ?8 a month here's the link Pay monthly SIM only phone plans from Orange
Depending on how much you use the GiffGaff deals may work out better...Talk Talk also have a ?6 a month deal that gives 12 months, 500 anytime minutes, 1GB mobile internet & Unlimited texts.
P.S. Talk Talk also do a ?3.50 a month deal which I may look into

Last edited:

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I use 3 too, although I originally switched to 3 from Orange back when Orange bumped up their pay as you go extras from ?5 for 500mb to ?7.50 (but I'm a low user, I'd never use that much)

Now with Three network it's 1p a MB I don't even bother getting any extras, speed is good. People complain about signal with 3 but in the Midlands, I've gone up onto the peaks and always had signal when I've needed it.

Yeah I also had a bit of an issue with signal with 3. The thing is, apparently 3 uses Orange signals for 2G. I was (still am on my other phone) an orange payg customer so I know I got orange signals just fine. I switched network to EE while on 3 sim and it connected. Then selected 'use only 2g' in settings. So far good signals, 4 bars. If I connect to 3 instead of EE while on 3 sim, it gives me 1 bar but super fast internet. So when I dont need internet, which is like always, then I just switch to EE and 3 seems to work fine on it, so far.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I was with 3 for many years until I bought an XT890 last year.

It wouldn't hold a signal as well as any of my previous phones under certain conditions which was starting to cause me problems. As 3 no longer has a 2G backup network I had to switch, so after much trial and error I finally switched over to o2. I don't know whether the G would be any better in this regard, but for now I'm staying put.

But my 3 sim connects to 2G on EE network. I also sort of discovered, I could be wrong, that the reception aeriel on moto G is on the bottom part of the phone instead of on top, so when connected to 3 network on 3 sim with 3g i would get almost no signals if i put it on my lap and cover it with my palm. On the other hand if i select EE as the network which i presume is orange cause there are 2 EE's showing but i can only select one of those EE's, the signals are fine on it, and theyre 2g.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

When you are looking for better mobile deals and tarriffs in the UK I would recommend going to the network's website, they often have deals and special tarriffs that they don't advertise elsewhere. I'm with Orange/EE and that's how I found a stupidly low deal. I don't use anywhere near the inclusive minutes, texts and data I get every month, but I calculated from my usage that it was far cheaper than any of the pay as you go tarriffs from any network...and because my 12 month contract ran out I'm on a rolling month to month which means if I come across a better/cheaper sim deal I can switch when I want.

what do you get on your plan?

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
What stupidly low deal are you on please.

My wife, daughter and I are on giffgaff.

Posted via Android Central App

i do have a giffgaff sim as well. it would hardly get any signals. when it did, the internet was 2g. o2 offers 2g only in my area at least. i actaully put ?30 quid of credit on it which has gone to waste, literally.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi rwalton159,
I was initially on something called "Dolphin 7", they changed the online deal now to this which is a touch more expensive than what I pay...
Sim only, 12 months, 500 anytime minutes, 100MB mobile internet & 500 texts for ?8 a month here's the link Pay monthly SIM only phone plans from Orange
Depending on how much you use the GiffGaff deals may work out better...Talk Talk also have a ?6 a month deal that gives 12 months, 500 anytime minutes, 1GB mobile internet & Unlimited texts.
P.S. Talk Talk also do a ?3.50 a month deal which I may look into

I found this real cool site Compare PAYG mobile networks in the UK - Mobile Network Comparison
well if you look at it 3 turns out the cheapest, especially for me, since one month i might make 10 calls, one month i might make no calls! of course i guess giffgaff might be best for someone who makes more calls regularly. only problem with giffgaff was i would get hardly no signal and the internet was only 2g.

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and I'm a student so I have to be kind of a cheap skate, so I use Ovivo's Freedom plan which is a one time payment of ?20 and then you get 150 minutes, 250 texts and 500mb internet free every month without paying a single penny extra. I don't really need texts since the internet covers my Whatsapp which I mainly use now, and I don't use many minutes as I use Skype on my laptop for long conversations and the 150 minutes is fine for quick conversations.

So far, it has worked wonders with the Moto G, they work great together, and it only cost me ?109 for both, and now I have a great smartphone with a free monthly plan, couldn't ask for more! :)

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

But my 3 sim connects to 2G on EE network. I also sort of discovered, I could be wrong, that the reception aeriel on moto G is on the bottom part of the phone instead of on top, so when connected to 3 network on 3 sim with 3g i would get almost no signals if i put it on my lap and cover it with my palm. On the other hand if i select EE as the network which i presume is orange cause there are 2 EE's showing but i can only select one of those EE's, the signals are fine on it, and theyre 2g.
Since 2010 Three have been switching off 2G connectivity in areas where they have full 3G coverage.

Every time the network switches over to Orange/EE it costs Three money - they have to pay the other network to carry their traffic Now the issue with Three that solely uses the 1800mhz frequency band is not the geographical signal coverage per se but the ability of that particular frequency to penetrate in to buildings, so depending upon the particular building this can range from having just a poor signal to none at all which was the issue with my XT890. In some buildings where previously I might have been just having a problem with a poor signal, with my 890 all too frequently it would be non-existent which was why I had to switch networks (or phone of course).

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I use virgin media. ?7 a month for 500mb data, 150 mins & unlimited virgin minutes and unlimited texts. :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

budweiser

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I use mine with Boost Mobiles $55 Android plan. I get unlimited minutes, texts, and 2.5gb of 3G data after that they claim they'll throttle me to 256kbps or something like that. Since I began working from home my average data use went down from like 15gb a month to about 1-2gb so it works out for me. Plus after every 6 on time payments my bill drops $5 a month until it becomes $40 after 18 months. Also paying my bill at a Boost mobile store rather than online, by phone or at a different location you don't have to pay tax, so flat $55 at the Boost Store or $59.88 elsewhere.

DannyHeard

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Orange/EE I'm on the dolphin PAYG plan so I pay ?15 a month top up and get 600 text messages and 2gb allowance for a month which I'm quite happy with ☺

Posted From My Awesome Moto G

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae