USB OTG no longer works on the Moto G after KitKat update.

Arup Khan

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Native USB OTG disabled on Moto G updated to Kitkat 4.4
:(
Is it a bug ?
or
Stopped by google itself? (onine storage policy :-\)

If it's a bug, when the fix will come ?

What about the downgrade to Jelly bean 4.3 ?
Any suggestions?
Any free app to get back full functionality ?

Thanks
:confused:

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [B]Kitkat 4.4 disabled USB OTG [B] :( Is it a bug? Any fix coming in future or not ?!

Native USB OTG disabled on Moto G updated to Kitkat 4.4
:(
Is it a bug ?
or
Stopped by google itself? (onine storage policy :-\)

If it's a bug, when the fix will come ?

What about the downgrade to Jelly bean 4.3 ?
Any suggestions?
Any free app to get back full functionality ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. I am currently asking around.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [B]Kitkat 4.4 disabled USB OTG [B] :( Is it a bug? Any fix coming in future or not ?!

It may be a while. The person who is best suited to answer your questions is unavailable at the moment.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

woldranger

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm wondering the same thing. I bought the G for my Mother and didn't hesitate to update to Kitkat as I hadn't read about any major glitches but then found that I couldnt hook up the phone to a usb reader with the otg cable.

So far all that I've found that works has been to use total commander and it's usb stick plugin. Though that's read only.

I've heavily modded a HTC HD2 and rooted and flashed ROM's on my Galaxy S3 but I bought this phone for my Mother so I could leave her with it as stock so I don't want to be rooting it to get the otg running.

Fingers crossed there's a solution that'll come up soon.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am curious if it is a security issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Mmm, from what I've read on XDA and Moto support forums the Asian retail KitKat update had the OTG USB storage issue fixed already, and then Moto rolled out this small update to existing US/Global/EU/South American phones already on KitKat.

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

OK, does USB OTG work on KitKat 4.4.2 on the Verizon Moto G? I can't seem to find an answer to this question after a LONG time searching.

It's not clear if the bug reported here ever affected the VZW version, or if it did, if a fix/patch was applied like it apparently was for the GSM versions of the G.

Every time I search for it, all the people complaining appear to be GSM users, mostly outside the U S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007