Thoughts about my Moto G after two months of use.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
OP, I wonder if you've tried a factory reset? You may or may not want to, depending on if you have a lot of apps and things you don't want to wipe, but it seems that your experience with 4.4 is different than some others with 4.4, so perhaps the problem could be some mixed-up bits causing instability. However that's your decision to make about a reset: nothing sucks worse to me than a factory reset wiping everything, but not fixing the problem.

This should be stressed more with updates.

I dont have one yet, coming in the mail in a few days. But every Android phone I ever had....I had to do a factory reset for the best experience with new OS updates. I think its supposed to happen automatically but it doesnt for everyone.

Current Android phone is a Droid 1...long story...lol. Trying different ROMs, back ups recently and the touch screen stopped working and Wifi was very flaky. A factory reset fixed it. The one constant with issues was I was going from different version of Android, 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 and vice versa. And I didnt do a factory reset a few times.

Its not always guaranteed to work. But its worth a shot. Even with desktop OS's I prefer to do a clean install.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's been three months since I got my 8GB Moto G now...still love using it, even though the KitKat update made some aspects worse.
Looking at my storage I've got 4.26GB free out of the 5.52GB available when new...I don't store music or video on my phone, just high res images from my blog or the web, but those have only taken up 774MB so far.
The screen looks as good as it did when I opened the box. Some people have complained about dirt getting into the gaps where the screen meets the shell but I haven't had any such issues...maybe Richard has got really dirty pockets lol ?
The back is also in great shape with no noticable scratches or marks, some faint scuffs but I don't use any sort of case so those are expected...I'll get a new back cover if it annoys me too much.
Does what it's supposed to do without any real fuss, people I've shown it to are always impressed by it's looks and screen...and shocked by how little it cost.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
i have my Moto G for almost 3 months now and it's THE best phone i ever had!
my 1st Android phone was an Xperia Mini and from it i moved to a Lumia 620 and then came back to Android when i purchased this lil bud!

does everything it's supposed to smoothly and lag-free...i always have at least 6-7 apps in background and never once has this phone lagged or frozen!

also i'm on kitkat+ART and experience has been butter smooth, battery time amazing! i always get 4-5h of screen on moderate use! camera improved a LOT too!

i'm rly happy i bought the Moto G! it does everything i need at a low price and decent specs, amazing screen!

sent from my Moto G

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been extremely impressed with my two Moto G's.

I've noticed the speakers are quite load, even louder than my Nexus 4 and my Moms Nexus 5 (on Sprint until T-Mobile gets better coverage here). It can take quite a punch, to. I've dropped my 8GB Moto a lot (by accident) into the snow (it's been snowing like a mother f*cker lately, and slippery as hell) due to all the ice. It's taken the punishment like a trouper, you can't tell it's been dropped if you were looking at it. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the quality of this device.

Honestly? For me, the most anticipated device of 2014 is the Moto G refresh!

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's almost 6 months sice I've been using my Moto G now, here's an update...
So far no real problems, the phone works as well as it did as the day I got it. The screen is scratch free, hasn't changed in quality in any way. The back cover is slightly scuffed from daily use, it's also picking up a shine rather than the matt like finish from new...that's easily fixed by getting a new back cover which sell for less than ?10 in the UK. Everything else on the phone is the same as when I bought it, I was initially concerned about the buttons being flimsy but they're working the same now as the first day. I've had no build quality issues. Some have noticed a build up of fluff/dirt where the screen meets the case, on my phone the joins are very tight and using a hoover attachment every now and again cleans it up.
My battery isn't lasting as much as before but I'm pretty sure that's down to me using instagram, it's a very power hungry app.
I've still got about half of the 8GB of storage free, I don't store music or games on my phone, mainly images which take up very little space.
Friends who have HTC Ones, Nexus 5s and various Samsungs all comment about how impressive the Moto G looks and feels in comparison... the fact that you can get them for around ?120 unlocked is crazy.
It's a very good phone, it may not have the out and out premium feel of a HTC One M8 or iPhone 5s but for almost everything else it's as good as if not better.
I'm sure the new 4G version will add to an already amazing phone.

Take care,
Harv.!
harvindersunila.com
harvindersunila.tumblr.com

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
It's almost 6 months sice I've been using my Moto G now, here's an update...
So far no real problems, the phone works as well as it did as the day I got it. The screen is scratch free, hasn't changed in quality in any way. The back cover is slightly scuffed from daily use, it's also picking up a shine rather than the matt like finish from new...that's easily fixed by getting a new back cover which sell for less than ?10 in the UK. Everything else on the phone is the same as when I bought it, I was initially concerned about the buttons being flimsy but they're working the same now as the first day. I've had no build quality issues. Some have noticed a build up of fluff/dirt where the screen meets the case, on my phone the joins are very tight and using a hoover attachment every now and again cleans it up.
My battery isn't lasting as much as before but I'm pretty sure that's down to me using instagram, it's a very power hungry app.
I've still got about half of the 8GB of storage free, I don't store music or games on my phone, mainly images which take up very little space.
Friends who have HTC Ones, Nexus 5s and various Samsungs all comment about how impressive the Moto G looks and feels in comparison... the fact that you can get them for around ?120 unlocked is crazy.
It's a very good phone, it may not have the out and out premium feel of a HTC One M8 or iPhone 5s but for almost everything else it's as good as if not better.
I'm sure the new 4G version will add to an already amazing phone.

Take care,
Harv.!
harvindersunila.com

It updates to kikat and turns into an absolute crap phone.
I had to root mine to keep it on jellybean.
My battery now lasts me 3 days. I can watch video for 2 hours non stop full brightness and put a 15% dent max on batt.
Moto G, as it is, with kitkat, stock, is absolute rubbish.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My battery now lasts me 3 days. I can watch video for 2 hours non stop full brightness and put a 15% dent max on batt.

I thought quick updates to each version of Android was the #1 selling point of the new Motorola phones. Otherwise just get like the LG F series or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I thought quick updates to each version of Android was the #1 selling point of the new Motorola phones. Otherwise just get like the LG F series or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Here is what the update to kitkat brings to moto g:
1. usb otg is disabled
2. real racing 3 sound is messed up completely to the point that you cant play it
3. no call recorder will work
4. some people complain of signal drops
5. some people have complained about wifi drops
6. app ops will not work anymore, which means there is no way you can stop some apps from accessing your camera, mic, etc, your privacy is gone and theres no way to control it in kitkat.
7. a lot of apps wont work until their update is released.

MOTO G, as it comes, or at least first came, with jellybean, is perfection. if nothing is broken, what is the point of an update? now when an update starts taking away features instead of giving them, then whats the point? sure, it brings fancy stuff like ART or whatever but i dont consider it a feature. with kitkat i actaully didnt see any increase in speed either!

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I will update to kitkat once they get the update to keep my phone as fast and bug-free as 4.3

Posted via Android Central App

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

When I "updated" to KitKat I did have a few issues, the screen brightness was definitely lower and I had a bit of lag here and there. The lag must have been cause by some app or another as it seems to have been fixed. the other apps I have installed seem to work just fine, I don't play any games so i can't say about all that.
My battery hasn't changed since Jellybean, or at least I haven't noticed if it has.
Considering it only cost ?130 it's pretty dam good...you can find it even cheaper now.
Take care,
Harv.!
harvindersunila.com

Ivo-p

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The only problem I have with KitKat is laggy UI from time to time. Real racing 3 laggu sound is also something I have noticed. Seems some of us have some issues with KitKat. 4.4.3 should fix em.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX