Thinking about buying Moto G, got questions.....

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
As the title says, I'm thinking about buying a Moto G as my first smartphone. I have an original Nexus 7 so I'm not a complete Android novice - in fact, I use my tablet daily and still love it.

My questions:

1) If I buy the Verizon version, will it come packed w/ VZW bloatware? (I don't want any of that junk they usually stick on and it takes up room I'd rather use for apps.) My main reason for buying it from VZW would be that they would transfer all my contacts, etc. from my current phone at no charge.

2) I know I'll have to activate it and use it on VZW prepaid for 6 months, but after that time will I be able to take it to any carrier, or will I be limited to CDMA carriers?

3) Same questions apply to Boost Mobile or ATT or TMo or any other carrier I might buy it from....

I'd like to have the freedom to go to any carrier or MVNO after my commitment is up with whoever I buy it from, as I would be looking for a cheaper plan since most places I go have WiFi access and I really don't think I'll need a lot of data.

I've never had a phone with data, so I'm assuming I won't really notice that this is only 3G. I am a bit concerned about the 8 GB storage, which I've read only leaves me with 5 or so after the OS is loaded....that's why I'm concerned about carrier bloatware.

My other option, I suppose, if the answers to my above questions are that I would be carrier limited, is to buy the 16 GB unlocked version, , which would also give me additional storage. But $100 is tough to pass up unless I have to in order to maintain future flexibility. I tend to keep my phones for a long time (my last upgrade was to an LGDare in 2009!!) so I'm also considering future usability and support.

Thoughts, recommendations, etc. requested.

alfick3

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon/Boost phones you'd be stuck with CDMA. If you buy unlocked GSM (direct from Moto pour Amazon) you could go to any GSM carrier.

I don't know about the bloatware though. I really think for flexibility you'd be better off with the GSM variety.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to have the freedom to go to any carrier or MVNO after my commitment is up with whoever I buy it from, as I would be looking for a cheaper plan since most places I go have WiFi access and I really don't think I'll need a lot of data.
There's no commitment with prepaid so you have the same carrier choices Day 1 as you will Day 366. If you buy a carrier-locked CDMA phone there's a reason they're $80 cheaper than the GSM phones. You're in their walled garden. ;)

If you have wifi most of the time, you can do what I did and buy a Verizon Moto G, activate it, and load less than the monthly charge. That caused my Moto G to fall back to the 25? per minute pay-as-you-go plan. Install the VOIP app of your choice and you can use it as a predominantly wifi device with a safety net. For important calls, I can pay 25?/min to use the Verizon 3G network. it's not for everyone, but it's an option.

For the most options, buy the GSM version and use pretty much any SIM, including international. In the end, it's your money and your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae