I got a Moto G and it's my first Android device. What apps would you recommend?

LucasLumia

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought today a 8gb Moto G as a secondary device to my Lumia 1520. I'ts my first Android phone so I was wondering what apps would you recommend me to install? I only have 3.46 gb available right now.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's really difficult to give a list of must have or recommended apps as everyone uses their devices differently, have different priorities, already have accounts with various services and want the app for that service etc... etc....

Having said that for me the following are installed on all my devices (both rooted and unrooted).

Launcher: The Stock launcher is quite limited in terms of customisation (both in terms of aesthetics and usability) and is a little buggy on the Moto G. I use Apex Pro as an alternative - Nova Prime is similar and a favourite of many and there are several other good third party launchers.

File Explorer: Useful for moving file around the device, housekeeping etc. The best allow you to access shared folders on your PC or other Android Devices on a wireless LAN, integrate with Cloud storage providers and can stream media from Cloud/LAN storage. I never need to physically connect my devices to my PC to move media around. Again there are a number of options but my preferred is ES Explorer. FX is good as-well with it's sister app Websharing, but it's media streaming options are a bit limited compared to ES Explorer.

Battery Utility: There will be times when you want some more detailed info about battery usage than the basic OS can give. There are thousands of Battery Utilities on the playstore, many with very specific uses, and many of which are pretty useless. As a genuinely useful general Battery Utility I like GSAM Battery Monitor.

Email: The stock email app is also a bit buggy on Kitkat (it's not compatible with my ISP email service for example). If you have issues K-9 Mail is a good alternative.

Other than that everything is probably down to personal preference, how tied in you want to be to Google Play for books / movies / music and what you are mainly using your device for. Many folk go for third party music, video players, e-readers, messaging services, RSS aggregators and browsers (my preferences are PowerAmp for locally stored music, MX Player for video (local or streamed), Aldiko for reading and Firefox as a browser).

Automation apps are not for beginners but once you know your device / Android reasonably well can make your 'smart' phone into a genius. Tasker is the most famous. I like MacroDroid.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC
I'd also recommend Evernote and a file explorer (I use ES File Explorer)
Dropbox for backing up photos, and maybe Feedly if you want a good news app

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, fellow 1520 user. Aside from what the others mentioned, I recommend getting the Android counterparts of the apps you use on your 1520 (i.e. OneNote).

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

LucasLumia

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! It haven't even ocurred to me to download a file explorer. I'm going to try Feedly but not Dropbox since I have like 250 gb in OneDrive. And Google also gifted me 50gb in Google Drive for two years with my purchase. I downloaded the Microsoft essential apps and I'm going to try Evernote since OneNote for Android isn't as nice as in my 1520. Is Battery Monitor really useful? Because I found some of the battery apps really annoying. I didn't know about the automatition but it sounds good so I'll give it a try too. Thank you!

Last edited:

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
try air droid
You can transfer files from your PC to your phone directly through your WiFi, use your camera remotely, check your emails, call logs, and a lot of extras :)

Posted via Android Central App

eriley1987

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Dropbox for sure. I also have the 8 GB Moto G. You can set photos you take or save to automatically upload to a folder in Dropbox, which is great to save the space on your phone.

eriley1987

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh cool. I am just used to DropBox because it's what I started using back in college when I needed lots of file storage and I referred some friends or something one time and got extra space.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend a cache cleaner, ES file Explorer, Dash clock widget, tapatalk, yahoo weather, flipboard, color note and of course the android central app. Those are my must have apps.

Ps, for this phone a picture cleaning app might be good since it's only a 5MP shooter. I use pixlr express but I also hate the stock camera on this phone, (it's usable if the subject has a little extra patience) but I sideloaded a version of the stock android camera from the Google play edition moto g which has a faster focus.

Posted via Android Central App