Hissing noise 4.4.2

GGattsu

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello

So I have bought new in-ear headphones: Philips SHE9005A. There is a really annoying hissing noise when f.e. playing music or watching twitch streams on my Moto G and it's especially noticable with very low volume and quiet parts of songs. The noise stops a few seconds after I pause/stop the audio.

I only really noticed this with my new headphones but it's also there when using speakers (you just have to stop the playback and instantly put your ear very close to the speakers to perceive it clearly)

After an extensive google search (type: "hissing android 4.4.2" or "android hissing noise ohm") I found many posts of users with the same problem on the "LG G2" after updating to 4.4.2.
People speculate that this might be related to 4.4.2 and also the amount of noise varies with different headphones probably related to the amount of impendance (Ohm).

I wonder if there is any way to get to the bottom of this. Will there be an update eliminating the problem or is there an app to help minimise it? Also which headphones suffer most?

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem on my Moto G. :'(

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this is related to the issue some HTC One users are facing with headphones. After the 4.4 update users are complaining of the mic staying open on the headphones after a call. They seem to need the incoming or outgoing call with the headphones for the issue, though. After which the mic stays open and creates background noise. No one ever described noise though. I'm wondering if it's a general open mic thing with 4.4 since you're saying that you have this even without the head phones. I would imagine if it's affecting multiple devices and it's related to 4.4 that there will eventually be a patch.

GGattsu

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Well I really hope this is related to 4.4.2 and will get fixed in the near future.
I just can't use my new in-ear headphones which makes me sad and I don't know if I should sell them or wait for an update.
I'm not such a big audiophile but a sometimes really audible hissing noise on a modern smartphone is just something I would have never imagined.

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes. You're not the only one. It seems an answer has been found over at xda forums. It's an issue with the poor efficiency of the DAC.
Can be avoided if you use headphones/earphones with a high impedance or by using a headphone amp of some sort.

audio hiss after 4.4.2 update. - xda-developers

<<SOLVED>> The moto G Opamp is not very efficient. It struggles to go down to 2Ohm stable. This means average earbud type headphones rated at 16Ohms. will have hiss and other artifacts. Higher impedance headphones. 40-70Ohms have much better sq. Much above 70Ohms and I suspect the Moto G won't be powerful enough to drive them.... so, that's the sweet spot!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma