Too Much Of RAM consumption!

Prabhat Sharma

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I see too much of RAM consumption by the phone. All the time only 320MB +- 30MB is free out of 883MB.
I have installed 2-3 apps from play store rest all are inbuilt app.Can any one has any idea on this??

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this too
My moto G is always around 200 Ram free
But my phone doesn't lag at all, not while opening a lot of apps, not even gaming
So I stopped caring and realized Motorola did a great job optimizing this little thing :)

Posted via Android Central App

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is how Android normally works. Empty RAM is useless RAM, so in a 1 GB RAM device, the system typically likes to keep RAM anywhere from 60-80% full, depending on the situation. 2 GB RAM devices seem to keep RAM more like 50% full.

Review this article for more information: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

thank you for posting the explanation about Android and RAM...cause i'm getting tired to tell pplz not to worry about RAM consuption and that the system was made and optimized for using a lot of RAM lol also Android learns about what processes are mostly used and with time, it always keeps those processes in the memory, so when you call that app from background, it will return faster...that's one of the reasons task killers are useless lol

actually, killing tasks and completely closing your apps all the time, because you're paranoid with RAM usage, might make the phone slower than if you let Android do its job!

so just relax pplz! i have my Moto G for almost 4 months and i'm completely careless about RAM (and cache) and never once have i had any issues with lag or freezing or lack of memory lol

on the contrary, my little G is rly fast and smooth <3

sent from my Moto G <3

Adam W1

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G stays around 200 too, but what troubles me is that of the 680 MB consumed, the Running Services/Apps and Cached Processes only account for 400 MB. If the other 280 is system, then what is using the 120 MB between 882 and 1 GB? Smart or not, I hate the Appleishness of it (you have very little control over it (unless you have a Moto G 8GB, don't bark at me about what I supposedly don't understand)).

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it's just the way the OS (Android) handles memory. The OS pre-allocates memory (probably 60-70% of total RAM) for use and never frees the memory fully. The OS will keep cycling from this pool (gives it to apps when they need it and puts it back once the apps are done). This gives the OS better control.
So when you check for free memory it looks like it is fully (almost) consumed, but in reality it is not.
It is confusing, so I wouldn't worry too much about the RAM consumption, unless you are having issues.