Heating issues after 4.4.4 update

Jubal Saji

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed heating issues after the update on using fb, Android central app or any other app for just 15mins or so??

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My Moto G is definitely heating up since the 4.4.4 update. As far as I can work out it has nothing to do with 3G, when on wifi using instagram for a few minutes not only does the back heat up but the screen gets very hot...that never happened before. When I say very hot I don't mean it's a little warm, I mean it's hot to the touch.

Harv.!

HK63

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It has been almost three days since I updated to 4.4.4 and no, I haven't noticed heating issues.

I did wipe cache partition though after the update. My phone is a Verizon XT1028 US model.

Last edited:

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Does cache partition wiping deletes our settings or files or accounts stored in the phone?

Not at all, although I'm not too sure what effect wiping the cache partition may have on a heating battery.

Its something worth doing regardless, though, following a software update and some people - myself included - do a full factory reset, although understandably not every one is too keen on going down that route.

I've been running 4.4.4 for 48 hours now and I have become to notice that it seems to be getting warmer than before, but then again its very hot over here at the moment and I also use a TPU case which obviously wont help with heat dissipation but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

HK63

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Right, if you have any issues after the system update, a factory reset is often recommended. Since I didn't have any issues, I just wiped cache partition.

Then again, I live in cooler climates (high 75F/24C, low 57F/12C) and I don't use a case.

Paul Horton1

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
So far I haven't noticed any heating up and seems to be running nicely. Just got the update this morning and everything seems fine so far. I've only been running on WiFi though.

horton830

Stephen Spackman

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G is definitely heating up since the 4.4.4 update. As far as I can work out it has nothing to do with 3G, when on wifi using instagram for a few minutes not only does the back heat up but the screen gets very hot...that never happened before. When I say very hot I don't mean it's a little warm, I mean it's hot to the touch.

Harv.!

I updated to 4.4.4 and my G is now heating up. As i type this the battery is running at 105F.

kitkatkid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Have you guys contacted Motorola or Google support regarding the heat-up issue? If it's affecting a fair bit of devices, there may be an update needed....

Jubal Saji

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to wipe cache partition. And following all the steps mentioned on the Motorola site but when I select the recovery mode, the moto logo comes and a black screen then the Android in distress and I get a text below it saying "no command" and it's stuck there... What's the problem where am I going wrong?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that you cant move on to the next step - 5 - as below?

5. Press and hold the*VOL UP*key for*10-15 seconds.*While still holding*the*VOL UP*key*tap and release the*POWER*key

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 6, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in*BLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to wipe cache partition*and the*POWERKey to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Jubal Saji

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Ya it worked right away and my moto g rebooted.. So it has completed the wiping right??
(I was using vol down +vol up as per Motorola website instead of vol up + power button in the 5th step.. )

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The method I've described is the correct one. Could you possibly post the link to the web site you've been using with those instructions?

I've copied over the full instructions below, but you'll have to do the forced reboot as in step 5 and start again.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*the*VOL*DOWN KEY*for 2-3 seconds then*POWER*key then release.

2. The device will display*differentBOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*andVOL UP*Key to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the*VOL UP*key for*10-15 seconds.*While still holding*the*VOL UP*key*tap and release the*POWER*key

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 6, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in*BLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to wipe cache partition*and the*POWERKey to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Yep, just as I thought you'd chosen the wrong model!

Anyway, glad its sorted for you and just for reference if you cant find the tech help you're looking for on Moto's site for the G then look at the X instead.

IIRC strangely there isn't details on how to wipe the cache on the G support pages so I used the X one which works just the same.

insanezz

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
For some reason it won't wipe the cache for me anymore.. I know how to wipe te cache, but then i see the android guy and it's deleting the cache. But it just stays that way for more then 5 minutes.. While the wipe should already be complete.. Anyone else have this issue?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
For some reason it won't wipe the cache for me anymore.. I know how to wipe te cache, but then i see the android guy and it's deleting the cache. But it just stays that way for more then 5 minutes.. While the wipe should already be complete.. Anyone else have this issue?

Cleared mine yesterday and it took nearly 10 minutes before it rebooted.

Are you saying it wont reboot?, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

insanezz

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Cleared mine yesterday and it took nearly 10 minutes before it rebooted.

Are you saying it wont reboot?, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah i found out that its just taking longer then on 4.4.2 lol..

Snapphane

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Been using my phone for half a day now with 4.4.4 and I'm noticing the opposite. The phone used to, like all phones and tablets, run a bit hot after a while. So far it seems to stay very cool, I hardly notice any increase in temperature. I will keep an eye out for any changes but so far so good 😃