I dropped my Moto G in the pool yesterday for about a minute before picking it up. I thought I could continue using it (as I believed the G was water resistant). However, it soon started behaving weirdly (lost signal, some icons vanished) before the phone shut down. I started to start it again but to no avail. I dried the phone under a lamp. A few hours later, it started behaving really weird- started vibrating VERY loudly, and this went on for close to 2 hours!!

I stopped trying anything and left it. Today, when I tried to start it, its display finally lit up to show the charging screen, but it's behaving in one of these ways:
    -charging screen shows up (0% charge) for a few seconds, and then screen turns black- and this keeps looping
    -another kind of loop happened once, wherein the Moto boot animation kept running but the phone never started up
    -some times the LED notification light blinks 3 times in a row

Right now it's back to the battery charging screen loop. I have no clue what's happening to my phone!! Please help.Should I keep it on charge for some time (8-9 hrs) and see what happens? Or leave it alone for a few days and then try to start it?
    09-08-2014 07:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, the damage is probably already done. Water resistant does not mean water proof. So it can resist a little water splashed on it, but submersion under water for a full minute would probably even damage a phone that is advertised as waterproof. A lamp wouldn't have done much either to dry it out, unfortunately. Most people try sealing the phone in a bag of uncooked rice for 24 hours, which acts as a desiccant and sucks out moisture slowly from all areas of the phone. This can sometimes help, but there's never any guarantee.

Unfortunately, your phone is probably damaged irreversibly. Since you don't have anything else to lose, you could try the uncooked rice routine. Put it in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice and seal it for 24-48 hours. Then see what happens.
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, the damage is probably already done. Water resistant does not mean water proof. So it can resist a little water splashed on it, but submersion under water for a full minute would probably even damage a phone that is advertised as waterproof. A lamp wouldn't have done much either to dry it out, unfortunately. Most people try sealing the phone in a bag of uncooked rice for 24 hours, which acts as a desiccant and sucks out moisture slowly from all areas of the phone. This can sometimes help, but there's never any guarantee.

Unfortunately, your phone is probably damaged irreversibly. Since you don't have anything else to lose, you could try the uncooked rice routine. Put it in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice and seal it for 24-48 hours. Then see what happens.
    09-08-2014 10:41 PM
    I'm sure it didn't help when you dropped in chlorine.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-09-2014 12:17 AM
    Hi,

I know it seems like it's dead, but I have a feeling it's not. And I didn't drop it in the pool for a minute, only for a few seconds- 10 secs or so.

Now it's stuck on the 0% charging screen when I charge it, and then the screen shuts off. This loop keeps going. When I connect it to the PC via USB, it keeps connecting (shows USB not recognized) and then disconnecting.

Could it be a battery problem? What could I do to see if it's okay?

Any help would be very welcome! Thanks.
    09-09-2014 04:21 AM
    You should shut it off if possible, and seal it in the rice as B Diddy advised. Give it a couple of days in there and then you can take it out and see if it might turn on. It really needs even longer to dry out but it's probably a lost cause by now.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-09-2014 04:32 AM