Somehow I just knew it was too good to be true: A smartphone that is reasonably priced and performs well. There had to be a fly in the ointment. And there is. And it's a pretty darn big fly. Ever since the update to Android 4.4.3, it would seem, some Moto G (2013) phones have had a nasty habit of arbitrarily losing their mobile signal.

Post KitKat upgrade BUGs (Loss of signal etc)

Since January of this year Motorola's known about this. That's now eight months! Even with detailed reports it remains unresolved.

I've 21 days left in my return window, but it looks like I may soon be looking for a different solution. What a shame, because, up until this morning, I had what I felt to be as close to perfect a phone as I could want
    09-25-2014 12:18 PM
    That's a shame. I suppose a replacement SIM wouldn't help?
    09-25-2014 08:43 PM
    I've been having the same problem for a while. My Moto G is a dual sim and I lose signal sometimes and always for a very short time. My wife and a couple of neighbours have the same phone so it's very easy for me to compare. When this happen in my phone the signal is ok on theirs! So this is what I learnt after a while:

- it only happens when the signal is weak (for everyone).
    - changing 2g to 3g (or viceversa) can break signal. There's a bigger chance to happen if 2g is checked (I spend sometime in places with bad network) .
    - switching aeroplane mode on and off solve the problem every time.
    - my sim cards were manually cut and I keep saying to myself to get brand new ones. I promise I will

It's a funny glitch and can be annoying sometimes, but don't give up. It's a great little phone, the best for the buck
    09-27-2014 05:28 PM
    It's a funny glitch and can be annoying sometimes, but don't give up. It's a great little phone, the best for the buck
    "Funny" as in peculiar--certainly not amusing Not giving up just yet. It is a great little phone. I'm now running it down to see if it survives the exhausted battery test. It's been off the charger, with mostly light use, for 48 hours. It still had 33% remaining two hours ago. I finally fired-up GPS Status and set it to keep the screen on. Two hours it's been running like that... and it's finally down to the last couple %.

It hasn't exhibited the complete signal loss thing again. then again: It was about a week before it happened the first time. (And, ironically, after the update from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4) Got my fingers crossed.
    09-28-2014 10:32 AM
    Update

Mobile signal loss again.

At this point I cannot recommend the Moto G. This bug remains and Motorola has become silent on the issue. I've ten days before my return window closes, and, unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to take advantage of it.

What a shame
    10-06-2014 12:09 PM
    Update

Mobile signal loss again.

At this point I cannot recommend the Moto G. This bug remains and Motorola has become silent on the issue. I've ten days before my return window closes, and, unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to take advantage of it.

What a shame
    Late reply 😑. Sorry to hear that. Mine is behaving ok with just a couple of quick losses when signal is very weak.
    10-08-2014 07:24 PM
    This signal loss thing has turned me from a simple phone user to someone who is into rooting and custom ROM flashing! So far I have tried half a dozen custom ROMs and also updated from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 but this signal loss disease refuses to go away. The only positive thing is that most of the time it is the second Sim on my phone which loses the signal and I use the first Sim for data connection. Another good thing is that it happens only in weak signal area. Apart from this bug, this is one little great budget phone.
    10-14-2014 04:58 PM