Why is my Moto G getting very hot and won't start up?

Companion2

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
[SOLVED] Moto G very hot, won't start up

So, I have a Moto G, and I haven't been having any problems with it...until now. Around lunchtime today I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check tumblr, and it wouldn't start. It wouldn't respond to the buttons at all. I don't think the battery died because I had charged it the previous night and the phone never went into power save mode. Still, I tried plugging it in to charge when I got home, and nothing happened.

After doing some research online I tried holding down the power and vol. down button for two minutes, and that did not work either. Furthermore, after being plugged in, the phone got extremely hot. I don't mean slightly warm, I mean HOT.

I'd rather not get a new phone...so any help would be really appreciated.

UPDATE: I let it cool and then tried plugging it in again, the LED light came on but is not flashing. The screen still won't turn on.

UPDATE:I sent the phone in for a replacement since it was under warranty, must likely the battery killed the phone.

Last edited:

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the battery damaged the internals of the display or maybe the battery is just shot, so I think your best chance is to get a new one or replacement!! But this is my 2 cents so just wait for other replies!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Companion2

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto G very hot, won't start up

I think you're right, left it charging for a few hours and it still doesn't work. I'm gonna go ahead and get a replacement. If somebody does have a solution I'll just keep it for future reference. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! That's unfortunate. If it's under warranty and a replacement isn't a problem, then definitely do that. But if it isn't under warranty, then I would look into getting the battery replaced--it may just have been a battery failure.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Furthermore, after being plugged in, the phone got extremely hot. I don't mean slightly warm, I mean HOT.
Sounds like the battery failed, suddenly and catastrophically.

For future reference: Any time an electronic thing gets way warmer than it normally does, much less hot, it's a sign that Something's Wrong and you should stop doing whatever you're doing. Lithium Ion batteries, in particular, can be dangerous. They can catch fire and explode.

UPDATE: I let it cool and then tried plugging it in again, the LED light came on but is not flashing. The screen still won't turn on.
Hmph. Hard to say. Could be the heat cooked something?

Sorry to see this happened to you. I know I'd be bummed. Luckily, Moto G's are economical.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae