Hi all. I picked up a Verizon Moto G from Walmart for $40 yesterday, as a Black Friday deal, and before I open it, was wondering if anyone knows how much crapware it may contain, and if an upgrade to Lollipop may be slowed down by the fact that it is the Verizon variety.

I am hoping for a vanilla Android experience, and would be using it for work mail on WiFi only, or tethered to my actual phone.

I haven't opened it yet and may return it, depending on your answers. Not a big fan of Verizon but the price was right. Thanks!
    11-29-2014 09:54 AM
    According to the Amazon Reviews page:

Does this Verizon version of the phone come with anything extra like unwanted bloatware as opposed to fully no contract unlocked version on Amazon.
    Yes, it comes with about 4 verizon apps, and an NFL app that are unremovable.
    Also, the reviews mention no microSD card support (and only 8Gb onboard), and many mention battery issues. Caveat Emptor.
    xendula likes this.
    11-29-2014 10:28 AM
    Thanks, zhris, didn't even think to check Amazon! No micro SD card support is even worse than bloatware!!
    11-29-2014 12:21 PM
    I personally had this phone before and yes it does have some verizon bloatware but it can be disabled in settings. I didn't have battery problems on my second unit after a update to KitKat the battery issue was solved so you might be lucky and there is no branding on the device whatsoever. And about updates it received KitKat before my Boost Mobile Moto G on Sprint did so you have a good chance of getting the update before me!! And if you do choose to keep it you should sign up for the Motorola feedback network so you can test new "software " android versions before its officially released!! Hope you keep it its a great phone also there's 5.5gb of usable storage so it should be enough for what you'll use it for. And the reason I switched to Boost Mobile is there great $45 unlimited talk, text, and 5gb high speed data that gets throttled after I go over which is better than Verizon's bridged data!
    Posted via the Android Central App
    Ry and xendula like this.
    11-29-2014 12:48 PM
    I personally had this phone before and yes it does have some verizon bloatware but it can be disabled in settings. I didn't have battery problems on my second unit after a update to KitKat the battery issue was solved so you might be lucky and there is no branding on the device whatsoever. And about updates it received KitKat before my Boost Mobile Moto G on Sprint did so you have a good chance of getting the update before me!! And if you do choose to keep it you should sign up for the Motorola feedback network so you can test new "software " android versions before its officially released!! Hope you keep it its a great phone also there's 5.5gb of usable storage so it should be enough for what you'll use it for. And the reason I switched to Boost Mobile is there great $45 unlimited talk, text, and 5gb high speed data that gets throttled after I go over which is better than Verizon's bridged data!
    Posted via the Android Central App
    Thank you for your input. I am still debating whether to keep it; it's still in the box.
    12-05-2014 08:04 AM
    There are no physical Verizon logos on my Verizon Moto G. (thread title)

The Verizon Moto G does contain applications added by the carrier. They can be disabled.
    xendula likes this.
    12-05-2014 12:50 PM