No support for MOTO G LTE Lollipop

JimWPan

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I brought the MOTO G LTE from Motorola site. It is unlocked phone (I think but not sure anymore). My carries is T-mobile at the moment. I checked Moto Site for general availability and it asked me the choose carrier. I did but sadly they only have Moto X. Since T-mobile doe snot sell MOTO G, I think they do not have plan to upgrade it. My first questions is why phone upgrade needs to come from the Carrier? I brought it from Moto site not from T-mobile. My second question, is "I am out of Luck"?

I think my next phone will be NEXUS phone and saving the money now.

Thanks for the help.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I brought the MOTO G LTE from Motorola site. It is unlocked phone (I think but not sure anymore). My carries is T-mobile at the moment. I checked Moto Site for general availability and it asked me the choose carrier. I did but sadly they only have Moto X. Since T-mobile doe snot sell MOTO G, I think they do not have plan to upgrade it. My first questions is why phone upgrade needs to come from the Carrier? I brought it from Moto site not from T-mobile. My second question, is "I am out of Luck"?

I think my next phone will be NEXUS phone and saving the money now.

Thanks for the help.

What site are you looking at?

What support are you looking for?

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you bought your phone direct from Moto you need to select the Retail on their website to find out about system updates. It's not very informative though.

You can check whether it's a carrier firmware or not on the about phone screen (look at the System Version)

Better place for more up to date news on current status of the Lollipop rollout is the Moto Support Forums - particularly this post https://forums.motorola.com/comment/864180.

JimWPan

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I will check it out. I hope Lollipop will address small memory issues that MOTO G has, some lagging on scrolling, image loads slower and may be more battery life.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've got 5.0.2 on my UK original Moto G 2013 - needed a factory reset post update to fix a few glitches.

Battery Life is definitely better under Lollipop, and the experience is generally good.

However the Lollipop memory management issues definitely manifest on the Moto G - the issue does not appear to be as severe as Nexus users report, but my phone can start locking up if not rebooted for 3-4 day and things like Play Music's background music player service have an infuriating habit of getting itself killed when using other memory intensive apps in the foreground. The latter was also a problem under Kitkat - but it's worse under Lollipop.

If I were you I'd be happy with 4.4.4 in the knowledge that when you do eventually get Lollipop you'll probably get a stabler 5.1 or 5.1.1. I fear those areas that have got 5.0.2 with end up last on the update list for 5.1 or 5.1.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2