Review: The new Moto G doesn’t change much, but still a steal at $179 | Ars Technica

Most people don't upgrade their smartphones every year, though each year every smartphone OEM tries to make the case that its new models thoroughly surpass its old ones. The Moto G doesn't pretend to do that. It's not a phone made to entice people away from the first Moto G, because those buyers are price-conscious in the first place, and they're not going to be looking to replace a phone they just bought.

That's good, because among the bones we have to pick with the second-generation Moto G, the biggest is that it doesn't do a whole lot to move the ball forward. It's bigger, which is too bad if you thought the first Moto phones' smaller size was part of their appeal (we did), but it probably makes good business sense—Android buyers (and those in emerging markets) tend to go for larger screens. But aside from that, you don't get much more for your $179 than you did nine months ago.

That's probably fine, though. Prominent Android players like Samsung, HTC, and LG have yet to field a response to the original Moto G, and so the phone still stands more or less alone as the best Android offering in this price range, big screen or not. It doesn't do anything particularly badly, and it does most things pretty well. While no single aspect is special, the Moto G gives you the full smartphone experience. It's not the best Android phone you can buy, but it remains the best one you can get for this kind of money.
    09-11-2014 01:20 PM
    I just A<->B'd all the snaps. Yes: The NG has a much better camera than the OG. That's undeniable. But given the runtime hit I'm thinking that if I were to make a move right this moment I'd go the the OG LTE.

So: Decisions, decisions: Buy the OG LTE now, while you can still get them new, or gamble that Lenovorola will actually come out with an LTE version of the NG "soon," restore (some of) the NG's enviable runtime and support 700MHz band 12?

I think, and perhaps this is just my personal priorities showing, that they would've been better-off simply improving the camera and adding band 12 support to the OG. IMO the NG is not as nice a handset as the OG. I'm not even certain I like the size.
    09-12-2014 06:55 AM
    It would be nice if they'd make it so it worked on all carriers (the LTE version). And if they'd keep the older size. A phone you carry with you to use as a phone, I think is easier if it's on the smaller side but that's just me.
    09-12-2014 07:03 AM
    Great review. We like the first one and still the girlfriend loves it months later!
    09-13-2014 05:01 AM
    It would be nice if they'd make it so it worked on all carriers (the LTE version). And if they'd keep the older size. A phone you carry with you to use as a phone, I think is easier if it's on the smaller side but that's just me.
    I agree with you entirely, mrsmumbles. I think the size of the OG is ideal. What Lenovorola should have done, for the 2nd generation model, IMNSHO, was keep everything the same except:

• Improve the camera a bit. I'm not talking flagship-level, here. Just a mild bump.
    • Increase RAM to, say, 1.5GB
    • Add the µSD card slot
    • Add 700MHz band 12 support (for the LTE version)

Of course: If they'd made the battery user-replaceable, as well, they'd have had a through-and-through stone cold competition killer, IMO

As it is: What they've done is not very impressive, in my view.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-13-2014 08:32 AM
    I agree with you entirely, mrsmumbles. I think the size of the OG is ideal. What Lenovorola should have done, for the 2nd generation model, IMNSHO, was keep everything the same except:

• Improve the camera a bit. I'm not talking flagship-level, here. Just a mild bump.
    • Increase RAM to, say, 1.5GB
    • Add the µSD card slot
    • Add 700MHz band 12 support (for the LTE version)

Of course: If they'd made the battery user-replaceable, as well, they'd have had a through-and-through stone cold competition killer, IMO

As it is: What they've done is not very impressive, in my view.
    Yes! When one of the original selling points was the size, keep the size! I agree with the improvements you list. Removable battery is a huge feature I wish more manufacturers would make standard. I don't really use the camera on my phones but I know most folks do.
    09-13-2014 08:35 AM