Moto G 2nd Generation - Horrible Battery!! Phones battery dies every night alone!!

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am facing an horrible issue from the day one, phones dies every night! Battery Drain >50% Overnight. My phone battery has died for last continuous 3 straight nights! Each time went to bed with 60% charge and when I woke up in the morning, the battery was completely dead and the phone was off. After powering on, I notice that the cell-standby takes up the highest usage.

Note Checked Things before going to sleep:

Wifi Switched OFF
3G Mobile Data OFF
Sync OFF
Vibrate OFF
Screen Brightness Auto
Screen Timeout 15 secs
Closed all running apps

Funnily, the battery lasts all day when I am up and about during the day. It lasts all day when I am in the office. For some reason it dies at night when I sleep.Please Help me out really its feel too bad for a new bought phone.

I have attached the screen shot of my battery stats.
media-20140922.png

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you try not turning off mobile data and WiFi during the night to see if that helps? Maybe one of your background apps is trying to access the network and keeps the phone awake. See all the "BLUE" on the awake line.

acwe

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
wow Thats a lot of usage.

From the graph its showing that you have Wifi on.

Also what are the two symbols on the left. One that looks like an antenna and the second one that is a circle that says 72.

Another thing is its showing that the phone is "AWAKE" for almost the entire day. Looks like there is an App running in the background keeping the phone awake and draining the battery overnight.

Doing little short busts of charging can't be good either.

Here is a graph of my Moto G 2 over the last day. Notice the difference in the blue "AWAKE" graph.

Screenshot_2014-09-23-17-32-08.png

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Did you try not turning off mobile data and WiFi during the night to see if that helps? Maybe one of your background apps is trying to access the network and keeps the phone awake. See all the "BLUE" on the awake line.

Thank u so much for your reply.
For your kind information I have mentioned tat I have switched off all WiFi data , mobile data all other things. The battery stats which I have attached which includes a day + night. U can easily see the information on the graph where there is a heavy use of my battery during the phone in idle mode. I have closed almost all the running apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
wow Thats a lot of usage.

From the graph its showing that you have Wifi on.

Also what are the two symbols on the left. One that looks like an antenna and the second one that is a circle that says 72.

Another thing is its showing that the phone is "AWAKE" for almost the entire day. Looks like there is an App running in the background keeping the phone awake and draining the battery overnight.

Doing little short busts of charging can't be good either.

Here is a graph of my Moto G 2 over the last day. Notice the difference in the blue "AWAKE" graph.

View attachment 137903

Thank u so much for your reply. Your reply is really useful for me give some detailed information.

Hey yeah the symbol like tower is WiFi manager app notification, another 72 circle is DU battery app notification.

I have mentioned tat I have switched off all WiFi data , mobile data all other things before going to bed. The battery stats which I have attached which includes a day + night. U can easily see the information on the graph where there is a heavy use of my battery during the phone in idle mode. I have closed almost all the running apps. From the battery stats I came to know about one thing for sure my phone is just awake always doing some background process while in idle mode also.

I need to know which app is running in background .When I checked it just says the culprit is Android System.

Hey buddy I have another issue also in this phone the charging time is really high it take nearly 4 hours to get fully charged to 0% - 100%.

Can i know what is your duration of your phone to get charged from 0% - 100% ?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
First of all Thank u so much for all your awesome replies :)

Last night I did some troubleshooting measures which gave me a great output.

I just have wiped my cached memory in recovery mode which is suggested in Motorola site for this type of battery issues. I have installed GSam battery monitor to get the accurate stats of my battery. Hope these things have really helped me last night it was just a 5% power drain in my battery.

Here is my battery latest stats of last 6 idle hours. Battery just got drained 5% only. Before it was like a huge animal eating my battery like anything up to 70% in the same duration of 6 idle hours. Feeling better and hopeful :)

Attachments

• 4833.jpg
    4833.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear you got it fixed. This is what I've been seeing lately :) this is today and the SOT. Is currently at 3hr40min.

Yesterday was about 5hrs of SOT and 18 hrs of battery life and 12% remaining. No pics of that one.

Attachments

• 595.jpg
    595.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 315

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This was right before I plugged my phone in.

Attachments

• 596.jpg
    596.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 597.jpg
    597.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 299

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You need to fix your wakelock issue. Factory reset the phone, get the apps Wakelock Detector and Greenify, monitor and identify what is causing the wakelock.

lokeshpaliwal29

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Please can you tell me what is did to stop draining...

I am facing same problem with my Moto G 2nd Gen.

I did following but nothing works -
- clean all running apps through clean master.
- Wifi and Mobile Data get off.
- Brightness set to manual and keep it at Low.

How you stop system to awake in night.

Thanks

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
You need to do a try to find what App is draining the battery. Then at least reboot the phone but a reset would be better. First App I would delete is the Facebook App that is known to do this on a lot of phones. You can always use your Chrome browser to read Facebook on the phone without the App.

srprasad

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi karthick . Actually I'm also facing the same problem with the battery. Mine drains during day too . can u please tell me how to slove this problem ?

saurabhku007

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
HEllo guys.. i am also fasing the similar problem. today i checked my batt stats and i could see my phone was awake almost whole nihgt. and i am loosing around 50% batt in arnd 6hrs of night time. my friend is using zenphone 5. his wifi is also on for the night max batt drain is arnd 5%. help guys.. m frenking out.. with 4.4.4 wakelock also doesnt work.