How to force all built-in apps update?

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've just unpacked my wife's new moto g 2nd gen (it's her first android) and noticed that in google play app the "my apps" tab is entirely empty. Even though there is a bunch of built in apps is preinstalled as you know.

I manually updated google chrome and gmail apps, but is there a way to trigger play app to update everything without manually searching every single application in the store?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never found a way, at least for Google apps. It's an odd glitch. You have to look for the apps yourself, then tap the Update button on the app page. Once you have updated it the first time, it will then show up in your My Apps list.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've never found a way, at least for Google apps. It's an odd glitch. You have to look for the apps yourself, then tap the Update button on the app page. Once you have updated it the first time, it will then show up in your My Apps list.

that is WEIRD :-S But thanks :)

Just curious, will not they update automatically on the next update check or I have to add them one by one manually anyway?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Once you've updated them manually the first time, they will be added to the My Apps list, and then automatically update afterwards (if you have auto-update turned on).

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Once you've updated them manually the first time, they will be added to the My Apps list, and then automatically update afterwards (if you have auto-update turned on).

I understand that, yes. But what about other applications? There are heaps of services and not every of them has an icon in the apps list. Not to say that some apps are tricky to find, like Phone or Camera (which is in this case is made by Motorola)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In general, it should just be apps in the App Drawer that can be updated. Although I'm not sure if Google Keyboard, which can be updated, shows up in the App Drawer.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
In general, it should just be apps in the App Drawer that can be updated. Although I'm not sure if Google Keyboard, which can be updated, shows up in the App Drawer.

Google Keyboard is a great example actually. It's not in the App Drawer (finally I know how it's called) and I just updated it manually. Ohhhhhhhh

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd just search for Google in Google Play Store, and click on the "More from this Developer" link. Then I'd go through all of the apps to see if any have updates.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd just search for Google in Google Play Store, and click on the "More from this Developer" link. Then I'd go through all of the apps to see if any have updates.

That's a good idea. I will give it a couple of days though, just to see if it updates automatically (I've updated all major apps already and don't care if "Google News" is a bit old).

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

That's the smart and fast way to do it, but if you forgot it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
The next Google app updates that came out you would still get notifications for.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's the smart and fast way to do it, but if you forgot it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
The next Google app updates that came out you would still get notifications for.

Are you sure about that? I haven't been able to test that specifically, but in my experience, I don't get notified of Google app updates unless I've manually updated them the first time. Once they've been updated the first time, then they show up in My Apps, and start notifying you of further updates.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, just to let you know: all the built in apps updated automatically and appeared in the list of "my apps"

PS: to be precise only some of them updated, others just appeared there waiting for granting more permissions

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure about that? I haven't been able to test that specifically, but in my experience, I don't get notified of Google app updates unless I've manually updated them the first time. Once they've been updated the first time, then they show up in My Apps, and start notifying you of further updates.

Sorry I missed your reply.
To be specific I bought a LG Volt running KitKat 4.4.2 a month ago.
I was so busy I didn't check for app updates.
One day I was checking my notifications and their was a long list of apps that had updates pending.
After doing these updates my phone was 100 percent up to date.
I manually checked all my apps on the play store to make sure.