I've been using a Google Nexus 5 since about a year ago but am disappointed by its battery life. I constantly use wife's Moto G (original 2013) phone when we're on vacation because my Nexus 5 will be drained empty by mid-afternoon from typical vacation usage (snapshots, internet searches, mapping). I considered selling my N5 in favor of a Moto G but when the new Moto G (2014) version came out, I worried that the larger screen would result in a degradation in daily battery life.

Today I was ready to pull the trigger on the new Moto G (2014), but Amazon shows all models shipping in "1-2 months" and on the Motorola site directly it's simply unavailable. I'm referring to the Moto G (2014) (5" screen) that came out in the spring, not the Moto G that was upgraded to LTE but retained the 4.5" screen.

Is the Moto G (2014) now discontinued? I couldn't find anything on this forum or a general Google search to tell me one way or the other.

P.S. the Moto E is still available on Amazon for $120 so I went ahead & ordered that. I actually like the smaller screen, and I guess I'll have to be willing to give up on the front-facing camera and accept the crippled rear camera (no autofocus). *sigh* #firstworldproblems
    10-15-2014 05:07 PM
    You should have waited for them to get it back in stock!!! You're losing a 720 p screen, a better processor, better cameras, and likely a faster update to android L. But, to answer your first question, the battery life is great on this device. I'm a moderate to heavy user and I end up with 20% or more by 9 pm. From what I've heard the old moto g is even better though.

Posted via Moto G
    R.I.P My Cyanogenmod S4
    10-16-2014 08:43 AM
    Thanks for the thoughts, Kolten. I see this morning that the Moto G (2014) is back in stock on Amazon, now with an admonishment "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process".

As an aside, you mentioned that with the Moto E I'm "losing a 720 p screen, a better processor, better cameras, and likely a faster update to android L" in comparison to the Moto G. With my Nexus 5 I already "enjoy" a higher resolution screen than the Moto G (2014), a better processor, double the RAM, a similar camera, and absolutely the fastest OTA push of new Andoid versions, all in a lighter package than the Moto G (2014). What I don't enjoy with the Nexus 5 is unacceptable battery life under heavy (travel) usage.

I plan to use the Moto E for at least the weekend, then possibly try out the Moto G LTE (4.5" screen) next week. I'm still afraid that the Moto G (2014, 5" screen) battery will drain too fast in heavy travel use so even though it's back in stock I guess I'm ruling it out. I would be thrilled if the Moto E had great battery life because I've found that's more important to me than a high-end camera or gaming graphics.
    10-17-2014 11:31 AM
    I would read up on bugs with Moto G 2013 LTE version. There were many complaints after recent OS updates with signal loss and SD card malfunctions. On Motorola site its still an unresolved issue.

This was enough to push me to buy the Moto G 2014 in the end.
    11-01-2014 02:04 PM
    I was able to buy the Moto G 2nd gen US GMS black version at BestBuy via store pickup for $179 - several stores in my area had them in stock, picked up the same day. This was on Moday 10/29.
    11-02-2014 07:32 AM
    I would read up on bugs with Moto G 2013 LTE version. There were many complaints after recent OS updates with signal loss and SD card malfunctions. On Motorola site its still an unresolved issue.
    Thanks for the suggestion, hisense. I'm just bumping this thread to report that I had to return the Moto G LTE (4.5" screen), aka the Moto G 2013 LTE version. After a couple of days of use the phone function started to malfunction - and yes, to the manufacturer's surprise we users do occasionally make or receive voice calls with these devices

The problems were: spontaneous reboot when answering or making a call, and if the phone didn't reboot, the person on the other end would hear no audio even though the phone wasn't muted.

I tried calling Moto tech support but it was just the standard suggestions to factory reset the device. I replied that I was sure if I removed my SD card and did a factory reset the device would work fine as a phone, but oddly enough I was kind of determined to expand the 8GB built-in memory with my shiny new 32GB class-10 SD card and also install some Android apps. If Moto couldn't help me debug exactly what was interfering with the phone functionality, then I planned to return the device. They couldn't, so I did.
    12-01-2014 10:51 AM
    Glad you were able to return it. I have a Moto X 2013. Just love this phone. It is the best experience I've had, etc.

Given my experience I went and bought a Moto G 2014 as a family Christmas gift. Like u noted it was out of stock and so I kept checking until it was available again on the Moto site. Got it super quick and was happy. Until.....lots of users reported a memory management issue. Now I am confused as some say its a great phone and others try to get rid of it. So I no longer know what to say about Moto other than be careful.
    12-01-2014 09:32 PM