Is the Moto G a good entry into Android?

narich

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just a little background, I use all Apple products (iPhone 6, iPad Air, MacBook Air) at the moment and have done so for quite a while. I'm honestly just intrigued by Android devices and want to give them a shot. I'm not ready to go all in but just want something as a secondary device for now. To be honest, I'd love to get the OnePlus One but it seems a bit unattainable at the moment. The Moto G seems like a great choice but honestly I'm not sure. I could probably find a used Moto X (2013) for around the same price. Just looking for a good opinion. Open to anything really. By the way, T-Mobile is my carrier.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Moto G isn't necessarily a bad representation of Android.. But not as good as it can get. I'm using it after my previous phone was stolen, and its honestly been quite the surprise. It is awesome for the price! However, I would reccomend you do go with a more "premium" experience if you can afford it.

Posted via Moto G
R.I.P My Cyanogenmod S4 :'(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've got a G 2013 and is a great little phone, with no doubt the best for the buck. I think it's a great introduction for android, with the latest OS version and the promise to update to lollipop. You're going to enjoy the best things about android with little money. And everything runs smoothly, more than you could expect from the price.

Just be aware of its limitations, especially the camera coming from iPhone. Maybe the 4G LTE with SD card could be the best option for you, especially if you need extra room for music and stuff (I find the 2014 model a bit too big).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The X 2013 is a much better phone, of course. The only thing, I'm not a big fan of second hand phones. I you can buy it from a trusted source should be alright, but ...

Just battery wise. Battery life is much better with the G than the X (both 2013 and new). With a used phone you never know how many cycles are left before the battery starts to age.

But it depends of your use. For light - medium use and the right settings the X should be OK. I need a minimum of 5 hours SOT daily and the G gives me even more than that.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I get all day battery life on my 2014 G, and the 2013 gets even better battery life than its I don't think you can go wrong with either. The front facing speakers are awesome though.

Posted via Moto G
R.I.P My Cyanogenmod S4 :'(

Dubois34

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G is more than a good entry Android device. It is a great mid-level Android device priced like a budget phone. You can choose last years Moto G or this years(4g option as well in the 2013 year)
If you have a .edu e-mail you can get 50.00 off of the new 2014 Moto X (450 dollars), which is a great deal for a fantastic phone.
If you want to go with the X consider last years model as well. Just a couple of weeks ago on E-Bay some shop was selling brand new unlocked and unbranded 2013 Moto X's for 249.99.

Don't be fooled by the comments here the Moto G isn't a low end Android device, this is a fully functional smartphone with a near pure Android experience, I would highly recommend it. Good luck!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you think a 2013 Moto X would be a better experience? Not really looking to spend a TON of money.
A used Moto X 2013 is a better choice, you can get it as cheap as a new Moto G 2014. It will be faster and overall better in most aspect. There are Motorala features that are only available on the X and not the G.

Dubois34

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Your right someguy, but I would not buy a used or branded MotoX. Last time I checked some shop on eBay had brand new unbranded/unlocked 1st gen MotoX's for 249.99 in box with the warranty.
That being said the Moto G is a great mid-tier phone and the price is right.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i bought a Moto G 2014 brand new at Best Buy for $179. This thing is a terrific android phone. It's just a little slow if you are used to something like a Nexus 5 or new Moto X, but it's really solid.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Go for the G 2014. Get the white version as you enjoy apple products etc. It will be a good experience and give you a feel for Android. And just keep in mind that it is $180. So imagine what a $700 flagship would be like if the 180 benchmark is so good. Then you might just go for one of those down the road.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and the new Moto G 2014. The fact that the moto G only has 1 GB of RAM is a pain if you want to be switching back and forth between two or more applications. Other than this limitation the Moto G is a great cheap phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
If you just want to see what Android is all about then just get the Moto E. I use as my primary phone and other than the terrible camera, it does everything that $500 phones do at fraction of the price.

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and the new Moto G 2014. The fact that the moto G only has 1 GB of RAM is a pain if you want to be switching back and forth between two or more applications. Other than this limitation the Moto G is a great cheap phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
1GB ram is absolutely no issue.I multitask between 5 or more apps on Moto E and it swirches between them seamlessly. Hardly ever faced any lag except while using chrome but that is because chrome is a bloated and unoptimized browser. I use UC browser.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know if you get the Moto G 2014 from AT&T if it comes loaded with other Moto software or is it straight Android?

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
1GB ram is absolutely no issue.I multitask between 5 or more apps on Moto E and it swirches between them seamlessly. Hardly ever faced any lag except while using chrome but that is because chrome is a bloated and unoptimized browser. I use UC browser.

I am not so sure now. There seems to be quite a few users saying there is a RAM management problem on the Moto G 2014 that few people especially reviews talk about. Why there is no formal response from Moto is certainly odd.

But we did try to centralize complaints here:

https://plus.google.com/102055092337729576649/posts/ecMsi5uNxkf

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm