Is the Moto G a good entry into Android?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not so sure now. There seems to be quite a few users saying there is a RAM management problem on the Moto G 2014 that few people especially reviews talk about. Why there is no formal response from Moto is certainly odd.

But we did try to centralize complaints here:

https://plus.google.com/102055092337729576649/posts/ecMsi5uNxkf

I wouldn't worry about it. This hasn't even come up in the AC forums. I don't think it's so wide spread.

Posted via the Android Central App

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. This hasn't even come up in the AC forums. I don't think it's so wide spread.

Well, there have been some complaints on both AC and Moto Owner forum. It is strange that more people have not complained though which makes me think it may not be all phones. Just wish there was a more objective way to confirm if there is in fact a serious problem or not.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone you may be disappointed with the Moto G, as it is an entry level device and will not present you with the best experience of Android that you will find with phones more worthy of competing with an iPhone.

The 2013 Moto X was a great device, apart from maybe the camera and battery, it is still receiving updates and the hardware is still pretty good too. Oh and Motorola offers tons of features that are only found on the Moto X and not the G.

A few features you may find really awesome of the Moto X is the fact that you can simply flick the phone to open camera and you can control to a phone(to a certain extent) with only your voice!

If camera and performance aren't your biggest consideration the Moto G will offer much better battery life.

To read up in more detail, please go check these out:

http://m.pocketnow.com/2014/10/24/moto-g-2014-review

http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/08/06/moto-x-review-android-for-average-joe

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
The RAM management issue is a MASSIVE issue. For me, that is. I can't even play music while using another app.. The launcher has to reload everytime I hit the home button. The keyboard sometime doesn't pull up in Clash of Clans. I know it's a $179 dollar device, but let me run two at least two apps. So frustrating. I'm getting no support from Moto and all their techs tell me to do is clear cache partition. lol, as if I haven't tried it already. Looking for a new device already.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
The RAM management issue is a MASSIVE issue. For me, that is. I can't even play music while using another app.. The launcher has to reload everytime I hit the home button. The keyboard sometime doesn't pull up in Clash of Clans. I know it's a $179 dollar device, but let me run two at least two apps. So frustrating. I'm getting no support from Moto and all their techs tell me to do is clear cache partition. lol, as if I haven't tried it already. Looking for a new device already.

OK so your not the only one for sure. But why aren't all Moto G users saying this? Also why aren't professional reviewers. Amazon has some 400+ plus reviews and just about all love it. It just seems so odd. I am hoping its not all devices but each day more and more people complain.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
OK so your not the only one for sure. But why aren't all Moto G users saying this? Also why aren't professional reviewers. Amazon has some 400+ plus reviews and just about all love it. It just seems so odd. I am hoping its not all devices but each day more and more people complain.

Sorry, I was in love with this device, and that was the first few days. That might be the time when all the people are writing their reviews. It all changes, don't get me wrong, everything is awesome for a budget device besides the memory management bug.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I was in love with this device, and that was the first few days. That might be the time when all the people are writing their reviews. It all changes, don't get me wrong, everything is awesome for a budget device besides the memory management bug.

Have you tried the following:

1 Developer Options
2 Background Process Limit
3 Select the Not more than 4 option (don't reboot or setting gets lost)

If you can try this out and see if it helps that would be great.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the following:

1 Developer Options
2 Background Process Limit
3 Select the Not more than 4 option (don't reboot or setting gets lost)

If you can try this out and see if it helps that would be great.

Hisense, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have set the not more than 4 option. It doesn't show any significant signs of improvement.. A little better though

narich

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, I ended up getting an invite for the oneplus one and purchasing that. I got the 64 GB version. This just seemed like a better value. The Moto G was intriguing but after the complaints about RAM this seemed like a better purchase. I have yet to receive it but will report back with experience.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes turns out the RAM issue is for real. Out of 1gb available, nearly 800mb is always full which slows the phone down and affects multitasking. Disabling all unwanted background applications does helps a bit but its still an issue.This is in regards to both Moto E and G with kitkat 4.4.4.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The moto g is one of the best ever deals for the money it's less then half the price of a moto x but preforms just as good

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

mustafu

Simply Winning
Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I own a att branded Moto X 2013 and 2014, att Galaxy S5 Active, and a Moto G 2014. The G is one of my favorites due to pure Android and quick updates, it's already on 5.0.2 while the others are still on 4.4.x for the moment. I'm sure att has a part to play in the slow updating of their branded phones. I think in the future, unlocked / pure edition Moto and Nexus phones are the way to go.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
As long as you don't over work this little phone it'll work for you can't just jump in and out of apps like I can on my note edge but then again my note edge cost $700 more

Posted via Android Central App