Moto G (second generation): Lollipop is coming

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto G 2014 5.0.1 (22.21.25) Update

Did you reset your phone after the lollipop update

Posted via the Android Central App

If your phone comes out of the box with KitKat 444, and then you get a chance to upgrade to Android L via an OTA, if you reset the phone wouldn't it go back to the factory state....meaning back to KitKat 444?

smchambers56

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

If your phone comes out of the box with KitKat 444, and then you get a chance to upgrade to Android L via an OTA, if you reset the phone wouldn't it go back to the factory state....meaning back to KitKat 444?

No. It will factory set the installed OS.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

But that seems odd. Ad factory reset should mean the phone goes back to the factory state not the upgraded state.

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
On the contrary even though I have purchased a moto g directly from Motorola when I put the att Sim card in it Motorola sees I am on att and does not send the update until att tells Motorola to send it (att does NOT PUSH THE UPDATE THEY ONLY APROVE IT) once att gives the go ahead then Motorola sends it out to those phones with the Sim cards in it. I have called att and Motorola and they both have confirmed this multiple times! I called in a total of 12 different times to both companies and the agree every time!

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

But that seems odd. Ad factory reset should mean the phone goes back to the factory state not the upgraded state.

Nope. A factory reset always resets the phone to the currently installed firmware.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto G (2nd Gen): 5.0 Lollipop Update (22.11.6)

If I understand correctly, this was a TEMPORARY soak test, yes? And Lollipop is not widely available for the 2014 Moto G US GSM phone yet?

I feel like maybe I'm taking crazy pills because I have a basic UNLOCKED retail 2014 Moto G (US GSM) and I still am not able to get the update... but lots of blog posts and forum posts say "hey, it's out!"

It was starting to roll out, I think, then they pulled the update because they wanted to incorporate the fixes to the Ram issues to the phone with the update.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto G (2nd Gen): 5.0 Lollipop Update (22.11.6)

If I understand correctly, this was a TEMPORARY soak test, yes? And Lollipop is not widely available for the 2014 Moto G US GSM phone yet?

I feel like maybe I'm taking crazy pills because I have a basic UNLOCKED retail 2014 Moto G (US GSM) and I still am not able to get the update... but lots of blog posts and forum posts say "hey, it's out!"

IMO, the 'it's out' stuff is for people that already received the 5.0 OTA (or sideloaded it). This 5.0.2 update is a small 50 meg patch. The full 350 meg (guessing) 4.4.4->5.0.X has not yet been formally released.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Nope. A factory reset always resets the phone to the currently installed firmware.

+1. Once you apply the OTA Lollipop update, the KitKat that came on your phone is overwritten. From that point forward, any factory reset will be Lollipop (assuming our phones don't get whatever the M version of Android is).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lollipop 5.0.1 for the XT1064 US GSM Version

Big help for everyone who wants to be an alpha tester. (I usually wait until all you early adopters get through with all the complaining about bugs, and a point update comes out to fix them.)

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Big help for everyone who wants to be an alpha tester. (I usually wait until all you early adopters get through with all the complaining about bugs, and a point update comes out to fix them.)

Agree. Please note this is the one that fixes everything. Its 5.0.1. Of course there is 5.0.2 but I think that is more for specific Nexus devices.

Well, guess for now it is just one more option.

ldudiaz

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

This may not be the right place but I purchased the nexus 6, it was too big for me so I returned it for a note 4 which I hate cause I wanted plain android. Now my question is to you guys, if I buy the G2 second edition would I be satisfied with it? I don't care about LTE, is multitasking and battery and all that stuff good? Thanks

I've watched lots of videos and read reviews but still thinking about it

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Note, you must be on 21.11.23 for this to work (at least that's what I've read). My phone is still on 21.11.17.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure the carriers have no effect on updates, regardless of what your customer service reps said. This is an unbranded and unlocked phone. By your logic, we could take our sim cards out of our phones and then receive the update because our carriers don't know. Lol

Yash Sadhwani

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 5.0 Lollipop for Moto G 2 ota in india?

Nope, still waiting on it.
The moto g2 generally sold in India is the dual Sim (xt1068 variant) and if you look at the release notes for the g2 on Motorola's website, it isn't listed as one of the variants set to be receiving lollipop.

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Has anyone updated OTA to 5.0 yet?

That's exactly what I did I took my sim card out and am using my note 3 until I get the update

Uriel Galindo

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Has anyone updated OTA to 5.0 yet?

I had a software update today and when I did it I was still on 4.4.4 and the launcher 3 disappeared and now I'm using the Google now launcher