Design Defect Memory Management Issue (apps forced to close)

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a widespread memory management issue. There are new reports saying you can't multitask or that you can't keep multiple apps open?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Memory management issue (apps forced to close)

Can you tell us where to find those reports? Remember that Android usually doesn't do true multitasking--apps are typically paused in the background when you switch to a different app. If the app you switch to requires a lot of RAM, then the first app you were using might have to be closed out of RAM first. So when you go to open that first app again, it has to open in RAM from scratch.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Can you tell us where to find those reports? Remember that Android usually doesn't do true multitasking--apps are typically paused in the background when you switch to a different app. If the app you switch to requires a lot of RAM, then the first app you were using might have to be closed out of RAM first. So when you go to open that first app again, it has to open in RAM from scratch.

Sure. Here is a link https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6168839e0e?commentId=832807#832807

The strange thing is that while it appears to effect many users, the phone still got great reviews? How did this get missed? I bought the phone as a Christmas gift and so can't test myself. But if this is an issue building up as folks are reporting it is a dealer breaker for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That sounds problematic. I wonder if the Moto E has the same problem.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
How do you know its just some Moto G 2014 phones? Anytime I ask someone (globally) the answer is usually its a problem. So it seems its all devices. Unless someone here who uses the phone daily can confirm otherwise. And why isn't Moto saying anything other than we know there is some kind of issue....given the holiday buying season its in their best interest to prioritize this as it was this model runaway sales that saved the company.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
How do you know its just some Moto G 2014 phones? Anytime I ask someone (globally) the answer is usually its a problem. So it seems its all devices. Unless someone here who uses the phone daily can confirm otherwise. And why isn't Moto saying anything other than we know there is some kind of issue....given the holiday buying season its in their best interest to prioritize this as it was this model runaway sales that saved the company.

Well, if you read my post my first word was "apparently". That could answer your first question. I "don't know" for sure. I just like reading some forums and have a couple of feeds about android and Motorola devices. And that's what I found.

That bug is real, as much as owners of the same device saying that is not an issue in their phones. My Moto G is 2013 so no first hand experience.

Your second question about Motorola and Christmas. Well, I can't answer that, not a big fan of that kind of especulations.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Just hunting for any new info. This is so baffling. Is there anyone with a new 2014 Moto G who can confirm they can run Chrome, stream Google Play, and use a messing app, then press Home without the system redrawing launcher icons or closing the apps.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've seen that redrawing in my phone sometimes. Mainly leaving Chrome (with the home button and some tabs opened) and a couple of times with Flipboard.

After almost one year using it (heavily) as my only phone I found that rebooting the phone once every week or so helps the performance. As well as keeping the cache under control. And Chrome loves its share of resources :)

Posted via the Android Central App

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I think so. Its not clear if its all devices or just some (so far it seems to be all). And there is no fix....no matter what you try its persistent. If Moto would just send out a communication about the issue that would be a big help. Right now most info on the subject is in the Motorola Owner Forum.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty much standard operating procedure for most tech companies. I would guess that they have a certain critical mass of complaints and confirmed bug reports that they have to reach before they officially announce some kind of problem. It obviously can look bad for any company to acknowledge some kind of widespread bug, so they understandably want to make sure it's truly widespread, as opposed to affecting only a certain batch of devices, or perhaps only occurring in certain situations (e.g., only with certain 3rd party apps installed). Car companies work in much the same way (as long as it isn't a defect that's killing people).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Does the problem stay when on a different launcher like Nova?

From an AOSP M8

I find that using Nova and the "aggressive desktop" option reduces redraws. But this is just a very occasional hiccup compared with the problem related by the OP.

After reading a bit more in Brazilian forums this is what I found:

- Clearing the cache partition is just a temporary fix.
- Some people said that taking the SD card out fixed the problem.
- Chrome and Skype are the most common apps related to this problem.
- No news from Motorola besides personal chats and the copy/paste standard fixes (that don't work!). And this is bad.
- A couple of people that couldn't stream music because this problem, said that they managed to get a replacement.
- From comments and articles it looks like it's a problem with some phones and not all of them. Tricky to say how widespread is.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
And going back to your principal worry.

If that is going to give you peace of mind, just try to change your gift for a different phone (maybe the 2013 model that it's still a good deal).

But I wouldn't worry too much. Every phone can have a problem and you never know if you're going to be the unlucky person to get a lemon :)

The Moto G 2014 forum here has over a hundred threads and this is the first time I've seen this problem reported.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all. Well will just wait and see as I cant really return the gift. Hopefully my teenager doesn't get to say I told you Apple was better down the road :)

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue with my Global GSM Moto G 2014 which is now on 5.0 Lollipop via OTA and it was also happening when I was on 4.4.4 but not as much as now, I've cleared my cache multiple times with no resolution, If I try to do such things like say play music with Google Play Music and simultaneously use Google Maps for navigation one or the other will crash out. Other app combinations will do this as well but primarily playing music while trying to to anything else, it seems that while the phone has 1GB of RAM it always wants to leave about 200 - 300MB available and will start killing off apps once it hit that limit of minimum available memory (I've tried a couple of memory management apps but can't find one to work on 5.0).

After upgrading to Android 5.0 I also noticed a weird Bluetooth sound issue where occasionally the sound will sound sped up and go back and forth between normal and fast until I reboot. This bug here really bugs (sic) me since I use most of the time when I'm driving I use the phone for music/navigation/alerts etc. and have to pull over and reboot the phone to bring it back to normal (it's not a problem with the radio since my other phones and tables can connect to my cars Bluetooth with no problem and before the 5.0 update I didn't have this problem with this phone either). Definitely weird problems, I may give Motorola a call regarding this issue and the memory management problem to find out if they can send me a replacement to see if it's just from a bad batch or if it's actually software related.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed description. Thought to summarize the Memory Management bug/issue current status (which is now more positive as of today):

1 Not all users are reporting the problem. However, complaints are growing in the Moto Owner's forum. Over there official Moto agents can provide their feedback and update concerned consumers.

2 Given the rather glowing reviews and online user comment/ratings its been puzzling why some folks love the new Moto G and others hate it.

One theory has been new buyers are quick to report the truly awesomeness of the phone and only later after 2 weeks of routine use realize there is a performance bug that builds overtime. After which they rarely go back to update their early reviews.

Or maybe it's just denial and of course, it could be a bad batch of phones off the production line too. Its basically not clear here.

3 There are a couple of workarounds. One is to install a custom ROM/root. Another is to only allow 4 background processes to be stored (its within Developer Options menu so no root is needed). Turning this option on results in less ram being taken up which eases the pain a bit but does not solve it.

4 For the past three months, affected users have been especially frustrated because Moto agents had not been responding to user complaints quickly.

As the Moto agents were silent and some loyal customers protested. Some folks even got rid of their devices and just elected to jump brands.

5 Today a Moto agent finally communicated that Moto is looking into the user bug reports. While the fact that there appears to be a software bug was not confirmed by Moto, it was clear the reports are now being reviewed and its being factored into Android L new deployments.

In short, it looks like the issue is being treated seriously by Moto agents. And if there is a way to fix it via software updates, it will be done so via Android L.

How and when is not clear yet. But you can bet users will continue to track and maybe lose some patience if Moto ends up needing a lot more time.

....to be continued.....

Last edited:

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna try to be patient and wait for the L update. I think the reason why the update has been delayed is because they are trying to incorporate a fix for this bug in the update. Till then, I have an awesome phone besides the fact that I can only run one app at a time. Lol