Need a sim to update unlocked Moto G?

10pmStalker

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So I got a Moto G 2nd gen US model for my mom and I'm setting it up for her. There is no SIM card yet. Is that why it's stuck on 4.4.4?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The carrier supplies the SIM. Evidently you didn't buy it from the carrier.

(The carrier also updates it - if it's not registered on the carrier, it won't get an update.)

10pmStalker

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The carrier supplies the SIM. Evidently you didn't buy it from the carrier.

(The carrier also updates it - if it's not registered on the carrier, it won't get an update.)
For some reason I thought if it was an unlocked version it would get an OTA update even without a carrier setup.

rubab

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I thought if it was an unlocked version it would get an OTA update even without a carrier setup.
Yes it would get an update. Motorola is updating the phones in batches. So, when it is time for your batch, every phone in your batch will receive the update. BTW Motorola is still fixing some bugs, I personally wouldn't want a buggy version of the 5.0 update.

10pmStalker

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes it would get an update. Motorola is updating the phones in batches. So, when it is time for your batch, every phone in your batch will receive the update. BTW Motorola is still fixing some bugs, I personally wouldn't want a buggy version of the 5.0 update.
So much misinformation on this thread alone. I have no idea what's what lol. I'll wait and see.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same situation. My SIM free as of now (because like you, it's going to my mother in law) phone is still on 4.4.4. I did put my AT&T sim in from my phone and let it sit and still no update.

So I'm going on the assumption, that since this is not a carrier branded phone, that the update will come directly from Motorola, and will not need a SIM to receive the OTA. I also plugged it into my laptop and using the Motorol Device Manager software, said it had no update available now.

And receiving the OTA is of course assuming the phone is running the stock recovery and ROM.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10