I am looking to get a off contract phone in AT&T and have a opportunity to get a Nexus 5 or a Moto G 2014. I've read some pros and cons on both and am torn. I mainly use my phone for social media, email, messaging and browsing. No games at all. I know G only gets hspa+ on AT&T but I am in Dallas and speeds seem decent and usable. I was hoping some G users could give me some feedback on lags or errors. Any honest help would be appreciated.
    04-05-2015 04:47 PM
    The Moto G 2014 running on Lolipop is an excellent phone. As you noted, its not so much a gaming device but it also can play games fairly well enough most if the time.

Its fine for internet browsing (Tmobile HSPA+), phone calls, email, and social media, streaming media. Takes decent photos in good light and just average in low light. The battery life is good....7am to 10pm on moderate use.

It does lag here and there but not enough to make one have buyers regret....at least not at $180 bucks.

There are tons of Youtube videos showing the phone in action which might help.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-05-2015 05:23 PM
    My honest opinion is (BUY THE MOTO G) I haven't regretted it yet and it has a built in FM radio!!! How many other phones can say they have that! And it works fine I love lollipop on this thing I have no issues with the ram unless I leave asphalt 8 running in the background with the FM radio and browser open but if you close big apps after you are finished with them then no biggie (DO NOT MULTI TASK DURING HUGE GAMES) the front speakers sound awesome to me and the cameras are OK but not the best..... Every now and then it does creek a bit like screenshots make this phone creek like mending metal.... People will ask where the home button is all the time people look at the silver bar at the bottom and try press in it and they can't ever figure it out! Signal is superb and fast enough for me the battery last me about ¾ of the day but I do not use battery saving mode and I am a power user like (running a 2tb HHD drive daily for extra storage!) That is what I call power using and even though I don't have a nexus (which makes me not the best source to compare the two) I will obviously leave the decision making to you but I was facing the same options and I don't regret it.

Posted via the Android Central App on note 3, Samsung Tab Pro 12.2, moto g, moto 360, s4, s3, and HTC vivid
    04-05-2015 11:21 PM
    The Nexus is a better phone, no doubt about that, but.
    The G is a great phone, much cheaper and with better battery life. There are even dual SIM models if you fancy that. You won't regret it if you buy it.
    04-06-2015 04:45 AM
    I've not owned the phone for even a complete month because I had to get it replaced one because of a faulty charger and I'm going to get it replaced it again due to a loose and shaky power button so look out for these 2 issues.

Other than that, I do face lags here and there. You'll have to get a charger of a higher amperage because for me the 550 mA stock charger doesn't suffice, but it might be enough for you depending on your usage. Overall, it's a satisfactory android phone experience (I moved from Windows Phone, Lumia 520).

Hopefully the Android Lollipop 5.1 update will solve the lag issues and any other issues that exist...
    04-06-2015 07:34 AM
    Honest opinion based on one year of usage of a Moto G: buy it, it does all very well including some demanding 3d games (although I know gaming is not your goal), I tend to use it to transport files from house to work (16GB of space, not bad), the ONLY thing that is a bit of a let down is the camera, pics are too grainy even for cell phone standards and it tend to give blurry shots too. It is serviceable for videos too, but it's a known issue that the camera overall is Moto G's weak point.
    04-26-2015 01:00 PM
    I have the 4g version here in UK for couple weeks now, my honest opinion is that for the money it's well worth the buy. I had a nexus 5 and although that's a great phone lollipop ruined battery life for me, could barely get half a day and not even 2 hours screen time. The screen is very good on the moto g at 720p, front speakers are excellent, good build, decent camera, the best thing for me is battery life is amazing, just into 2 days getting with 5 hours screen time. It does lag now and again especially multi tasking chrome with other heavyish apps but for the price it's early liveable.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-27-2015 01:47 PM