Lot of App redraws?

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I was running Lollipop 5.0.2 on my Moto G (2014) but decided to downgrade to KitKat because I didn't like Lollipop. I got the KitKat ROM from here: [ROM]KITKAT][4.4.4][XT1068] Stock Android 4.… | Moto G (2014) | XDA Forums

But I noticed that the frequency of app redraws was consistently increasing. After pressing the home button, the app icons would load at least 2-3 seconds late.

And on top of that, even though I'm running KitKat 4.4.4 and the Lollipop update is "available for download", my app drawer is "white" in colour like Lollipop style? Can I do something about this without using a 3rd party launcher?

EDIT:

Pressing the "Uninstall updates" for the Google App worked but it reset my whole home screen. So I guess I'm only looking for the solution to the app redraws...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There could be some ram management problems with that ROM. Try to get some information from that xda thread. I remember having some redraws in my Moto G when running kitkat. Much better after lollipop. I found that using Nova launcher reduced them, specially when checking the "aggressive desktop" setting.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll try switching to Nova and see if that works then

EDIT: But from what I understand, that ROM is the official KitKat 4.4.4 and nothing about redraws on that xda thread

Last edited:

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I updated the Google app and now my app drawer looks like that of Lollipop but I'm still getting redraws, although the frequency has reduced for now. I'll get Nova if I'm still having redraws by the end of today.

EDIT:

Nope, I'm still getting plenty of redraws. I'll try Nova launcher now. If that doesn't work or causes any other negative side-effects I guess I'll have no alternative but to flash another ROM

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Are those redraws happening all the time or just when you exit some specific apps? For me most of them happened after exiting Chrome. It uses a lot of ram. You could try to close as many tabs, if not all, as you can. Also, from time to time clear cache in settings - apps - chrome.

In settings - apps - running check which app is there and how much ram they use.

As general troubleshooting wipe the cache partition into recovery mode and clear cached data in settings - storage. See if that helps.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Are those redraws happening all the time or just when you exit some specific apps? For me most of them happened after exiting Chrome. It uses a lot of ram. You could try to close as many tabs, if not all, as you can. Also, from time to time clear cache in settings - apps - chrome.

In settings - apps - running check which app is there and how much ram they use.

As general troubleshooting wipe the cache partition into recovery mode and clear cached data in settings - storage. See if that helps.

Nope, it seems to be happening at random and not just when I close Chrome. I have a maximum of 3-4 apps open at any point in time (Whatsapp, Gmail, Chrome and Tapatalk) and not more than 1 tab in Chrome. I've tried clearing caches, etc. numerous times.

I'll be giving Cyanogenmod a shot soon, I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz