The phone:
    Moto G (2nd Gen)
    Android 6.0 with January security patch
    The phone is NOT encrypted
    There are no visible settings for encrypting the SD card in Security nor anywhere else on the phone

The problem:
    Android recently provided a system update. After installing the update, the system asked whether I wanted to use the SD card only in my phone or to be able to transfer the SD card between devices.

I chose to use it only in my phone.

Since then, I have not been able to access the SD card when connecting the phone to a computer via USB. I can access all the content on the SD card through the phone, but not through a USB connection.

I have tried setting the transfer mode to files (MTP), photos (PTP) and MIDI. The only difference in the result is that the phone is not even visible when the transfer mode is MIDI.

I have ejected and remounted the SD card twice.

It would be very nice to have the transfer functionality back. It would also be nice for system updates to provide significantly more clarity on the repercussions of choices before users are required to make them.

Thank you.
    03-11-2016 11:22 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What you did was make the SD card into Adoptable Storage, which means it is now regarded by the phone as part of the Internal Storage. You can not use this SD card as removable storage now. Read more here: Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage | Android Central
    03-11-2016 11:22 PM