Hi all,

I have a Moto G 1st Gen, which I love and want to keep. Thing is, the screen has totally broken and replacement won't be here for a couple days. I can't lose track of my texts. I can reply on another phone, but I need to be able to track the incoming texts. My old Blackberry had a simple free program that allowed me to plug it in, type my PIN in via computer, and and get everyone on there. I'm quickly learning that's not the case with this phone.

I've struck out trying to use ABD (debug not enabled apparently), OTG cable (1st Gen apparently does not support MHL), and "recovery" software. FYI: PIN screen lock is enabled.

I have the latest Android upgrade, so I'm frankly shocked that there's no way to get into this device without using the screen. That can't be right, is it? Am I outta luck or is there some trick that will let me see these texts visa USB or online? Thanks!
    10-31-2016 07:30 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, it can be difficult to access data on an Android device with a broken screen apart from discrete files (like documents, photos, etc.). SMS messages are stored in an SQLite database file in a protected system directory, so even if you were able to connect it to your computer via USB and use Windows Explorer, you wouldn't be able to access that file.

What carrier are you using? If it's a GSM-based carrier (like T-Mobile or AT&T), you can always swap the SIM card into another phone and get the texts there. It's more of a hassle with CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint, because then I think you have to get the carrier to temporarily deactivate the broken phone and activate the backup phone.
    anon(632115) likes this.
    11-01-2016 06:17 PM