SIM Adapter stuck - any chance of removing it wihtout destroying pins?

riceb

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

sorry for being stupid.
I knew that I have to be careful with the nano-to-micro-SIM adapters and the Moto G slots.
So I tried with the empty adapter first, very carefully, and bam, it was stuck.
Is there any way to remove it without destroying the pins?

Images are attached.

Best regards
Riceb

Attachments

• P1010264.JPG
    P1010264.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010265.JPG
    P1010265.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 1

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can find something very thin, flexibe, and about 8mm wide, you *may* be able to slide that between the pins and the adapter. I've seen that tried 3 or 4 times -- and it worked once. The other times, pins were damaged. It typically takes disassembly to remove the adapter without damage. You may want to ceck into a repair shop.

Good luck

riceb

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ecm,

short update on this:
I tried it with different flat suttf like a thin metalized sticker cut to the correct width, but had no chance to stick it far enough in.

I then took it to a local repair shop. They offered to unsolder, remove, and resolder, but the price was uneconomic.

So they tried to remove without unsoldering and two pins broke. Anyway, the slot still works.

My conclusion: Never use the G2 with SIM adapters. In more recent phones, they said, the slots do not have pins, but other more robust contacts.

mpb0

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I was able to remove an empty nano sim adapter from my 2014 second generation Moto G.

The adapter was a cut-out frame, and I could see part of the whole/gap in the center of the frame even when the adapter was stuck in the phone. I figured maybe I could insert something into the hole/gap to depress the pins.

So I cut a tool out of a thin, clear plastic sandwich box. I hoped the plastic would be both firm enough to depress the pins and flexible enough not to break them. It was sort of like picking a lock, applying gentle pressure and jiggling until I was able to remove the adapter.

Here is a photo of the tool I made. Due to the direct sunlight in the photo, the shadow of the tool is actually clearer than the tool itself.

20181011_motog_tool.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781