Moto G (3rd gen): Will you be getting the 1gb or 2gb version?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used the Moto e 2015 which has the same s410 and 1gb ram as the base moto g, and it wasn't bad at all, but had aggressive memory management, meaning it would kick apps out of memory quickly and force you to reopen the app from scratch. This can take a few seconds as the s410 isn't the fastest cpu out there. With the 2gb version this could greatly help with memory management.

Also, 8gb would probably leave about 5gb free which would be pretty lean for me.

So if I were to get one, I would get the 2gb/16gb version

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a solid phone but I really don't like how they put you in that position to have to choose between ram amounts, I wish there was just a 2gb version ram isn't that expensive although manufacturers want you to think that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will you be getting the 1gb or 2gb version?

I think it makes sense in big markets like Brazil or India. They added a couple of new fancy things (better battery and camera, water resistant, Moto maker and lots of colors, etc) and they keep an excellent price, so 1GB, SD410 and 8GB of storage is more than enough for most people. If you need more multitasking power for a bit more money you get the 2GB/16GB model. It will work.

I think Motorola got things right again. They played hide and seek with all those Moto G leaks (410/610) and out of nowhere they presented an excellent phone as the new X Play. The only thing I would have changed if its size, 5.2" could have been just perfect for me :)

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

I think it makes sense in big markets like Brazil or India. They added a couple of new fancy things (better battery and camera, water resistant, Moto maker and lots of colors, etc) and they keep an excellent price, so 1GB, SD410 and 8GB of storage is more than enough for most people. If you need more multitasking power for a bit more money you get the 2GB/16GB model. It will work.

I think Motorola got things right again. They played hide and seek with all those Moto G leaks (410/610) and out of nowhere they presented an excellent phone as the new X Play. The only thing I would have changed if its size, 5.2" could have been just perfect for me :)

I agree but the average Joe shouldn't have to be put in a decision to decide on ram because what if they have no idea and possibly end up regretting their decision idk if that's just me

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Love my moto g, and I'd love to have 2gb of RAM. But upwards of the base $179 price point is Alcatel Idol 2 and ZF2 and the original 1+1. I just think those have better bang for your buck.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

If i were to get one, it would definitely be 2gb ram model as 1gb ram is not sufficient when heavy multitasking . But my Moto E 1st gen is still serving me well so i won't need to upgrade until next year.

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

Any buying it from Motorola is like an unlocked device, correct? Thinking of buying it and using it on Sprint.

~Blessed From My Note 4~

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

IMO, for $40 you get double the storage and RAM, who else is offering for that little, no one. They really should have just gone 16GB w/ 2GB and called it a day, but options are best.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

IMO, for $40 you get double the storage and RAM, who else is offering for that little, no one. They really should have just gone 16GB w/ 2GB and called it a day, but options are best.
But the problem is that many will see the cheaper one and buy it not really understanding. Then some will complain how the Moto g is slow... You are gaining a lot with the ram increase in terms of memory management.

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

But the problem is that many will see the cheaper one and buy it not really understanding. Then some will complain how the Moto g is slow... You are gaining a lot with the ram increase in terms of memory management.

This! Amazon is only offering the 8GB model currently. How many people just bought it because that's the one Amazon was selling not realizing it's the lower RAM model.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I get the feeling that the 1/8GB SKU is to let them hit certain price points in emerging markets while keeping LTE and the improved camera, water resistance etc. The 2/16 is the one to go for if you're buying in the West.

FWIW the 2/16 model I have here had about 10GB and change left over after the initial round of app updates.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the info Alex would you say just to ignore the 1gb model all together and does the launcher drop from memory

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I was taking a look at the specs and find it peculiar that out of the 16GB of internal storage, only 9.1 is user accessible (as per Flipkart). On Moto G 2nd gen, out of 16 GB, 12.79 GB is user accessible...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

They are being sold already here in Brazil. In physical shops they've got three models 8/16/16+dtv, but all of them come with 1gb of RAM! The 2gb version can be ordered only through Motorola site and it takes a bit longer to be delivered than the other versions. I don't know if it's the same in other countries. Just in case, if you want the 2gb model double check it. I found that a bit confusing here, maybe some people are going to buy the 16gb version thinking that it comes with the extra RAM.

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I purchased the 1GB model...only because I intend to use it as my running/active device and the 2GB one wasn't available anymore. I have a Nexus 6, which is cumbersome to use on my runs, so it'll be nice to have something smaller that won't wobble around on my arm. As a single purpose device, it'll suit my needs well.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I bought the 1gb version simply because I never do anything that would require more RAM or memory. Saved myself a couple bucks and still have a great device. I don't think anyone going into Best Buy would be unsatisfied if they grabbed this instead of the "bigger" version.

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

Same here. I went with the 8 GB version. I'm a heavy user, but not a heavy gamer. There's a huge different between the two.

Only game I have is Boom Beach, which is fairly large. Everything else are your standard apps.

I will say this. There is a light lag when I go heavy during my bike rides. I'll have maybe four apps open that track my distance and all that. In addition I have maps open and I'm usually streaming through Amazon Music. It's the same lag Mt LG G4 has when I do the same thing using it.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

How is the multitasking with, say, 2 or 3 social media apps running in the background, and google maps as navigator? I'm deciding which version to pick, but I won't need for example four distance track apps like you do. Thanks!

rcloke91

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

How is the multitasking with, say, 2 or 3 social media apps running in the background, and google maps as navigator? I'm deciding which version to pick, but I won't need for example four distance track apps like you do. Thanks!

No matter what, I think the extra $40 is worthwhile if you can stretch it. You have breathing room and some future proofing as a light user.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I get the feeling that the 1/8GB SKU is to let them hit certain price points in emerging markets while keeping LTE and the improved camera, water resistance etc. The 2/16 is the one to go for if you're buying in the West.

FWIW the 2/16 model I have here had about 10GB and change left over after the initial round of app updates.
Nice way to generalize that only people in the west buy expensive phones? Actually people here in US are more price sensitive and buy useless carrier contract devices. At least in developing countries they know what they are buying. If that's the case why even sell the 8 GB version in the west since everyone is so rich they will buy the expensive one?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance