Moto G vs Moto X (2013 or 2014)

WP_290

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
How does this compare to a Moto X 2013 and Moto X 2014 ?

Price is now very similar, at least in my country, which one is a better upgrade?

Right now I have the moto X 2013.

Regards.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually a Moto X 2014 user who ordered a Moto G 2015 via Motomaker. I think it'll be an upgrade on battery life and camera. Also having the IPx7 rating will give me a chance to use it around the pool.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it depends on what you need in your phone.

do you want the most compact package? 2013 moto x

do you want the longest lasting (most likely) battery, a decent camera and some water resistance? moto g

do you want the best specs? 2014 X

the G will have the poorest graphical performance, but even then it seems to be fine for casual gaming, but will get the M upgrade before the 2013 X (if that ever even gets it)

if you are okay with losing the moto voice and nfc, i personally would consider it a viable upgrade to the 2013 X. if you don't need the water resistance and are okay with the 2014 X's size, it's arguably a better phone because of the inclusion of things like NFC and the better SOC.

eddi0

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
So just to be clear, pros of 2015 G vs 2013 X: better battery, better camera, water resistance and Android M. Cons: loss of Moto Voice and NFC. That sound about right?

Posted via the Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
So just to be clear, pros of 2015 G vs 2013 X: better battery, better camera, water resistance and Android M. Cons: loss of Moto Voice and NFC. That sound about right?

Posted via the Android Central App

also the gyro sensors (i think the 2013 X had them) also amoled vs lcd (really a personal preference)

you can also find a wooden backed moto x, but the G is strictly a PC affair. but replaceable back plates!

battery for me today: took off charger at 630am, it's now 2pm and i'm at 71%, just over 1hr screen on, but i've been streaming music and connected to BT headphones since about 9am to 12pm. so for the first charge, it's really holding up pretty well

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have the new Moto G and a Moto X 2013??? Really curious how the camera compare and would love to see some sample pics of the same scenes from both. On paper I would think the Moto G 2015 would have a much better camera, right?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Does anybody have the new Moto G and a Moto X 2013??? Really curious how the camera compare and would love to see some sample pics of the same scenes from both. On paper I would think the Moto G 2015 would have a much better camera, right?

my sister has a 2013 X, i'm going to visit this weekend and i'll try to get some comparison shots for you

TelecasterM

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2013 XT1032 Moto X. 2GB/16GB. I really really need an SD card slot for my music. I can't store enough with the 16GB model. I am curious as to how the new Moto G compares, not sure if it would be any better than my X. Was also looking at Alcatel Idol 3 and Asus Zenfone 2.

maskedwombat

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
That's a shame the Moto G doesn't have voiceless communication. Still, you could wake the phone and use the normal "Ok, Google" available on all Android smartphones.

I too have been wondering if a Moto G might make a decent upgrade to the 2013 Moto X. My biggest complaints have been internal storage and battery life, both of which the Moto G fixes (if we consider the microSD card a solution to storage). I'm not sure how much I'll miss voiceless communication or the AMOLED screen. I definitely get performance hits on the Moto X, and it's been a bit unstable since the 5.1 Lollipop update. Also, no 6.0 Marshmallow update for the X.

$220 is really a steal for a new phone, though.