Moto G vs Idol 3 4.7

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my Moto G last week. Fantastic phone. I had the Idol 3 5.5 but it was just a tad too big. The new Idol 3 4.7 is out today. I went ahead and ordered one 180 through the site. That's 50 dollar difference between Moto G 2/16 through Moto Maker after taxes vs Idol 3.

@cherlynnlow from Tom's Guide confirmed NFC and Gyroscope for the Idol 3 4.7. That's a big difference considering the Moto G does not have these.

When I get my order I'll compare the two. I like the Snapdragon 410. Hopefully it'll be the same for the Idol 3.

Posted via the Android Central App

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with the Idol 3 4.7 for a couple of hours. Just some quick impressions.

The phone is small and extremely light. Like Moto X 2013 small. So that's nice.

Also it's not as fluid as the G but really really close. No real bloat, just AVG antivirus.

The screen is sharper, more colorful and brighter.

Speakers are louder and its dual speakers. NFC and Gyroscope works.

Comes with a nice JBL headphones like the 5.5 Idol 3.

Has a notification light (white led only).

Stronger vibration motor, the G felt weaker.

Posted a pic next to my old Moto X 2013 and a "Nexus 6" for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_20150811_155846837_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150811_155846837_HDR.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 121

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Was using the new Moto G since last week. I got the 4.7 Idol 3 yesterday. Wow. This phone is great. The 410 is a great processor. Both phones have great battery life and camera. At $180, this is the best deal for a smaller phone.

Moto G 2015 2/16 gb $230 after taxes

Pros: water resistant, longer battery life, more durable, slightly smoother experience, Active display, faster updates, Moto maker

Cons: slow charging, no NFC or Gyroscope (used in Google Cardboard, YouTube 360)

Idol 3 4.7 $180

Pros: Nicer and brighter screen, Dual stereo Speakers, JBL headphones, faster charging, smaller size, better low
light camera, stronger vibration

Cons: slower updates, Dragontail glass not Gorilla glass 3

My advice is save $50 bucks and get the Idol 3 4.7. The Idol 3 4.7 having NFC and Gyroscope is a big deal. Alcatel Onetouch didn't cut corners and threw in free headphones. Best value without being a phablet.

Oh, the Idol 3s battery is not bad at all. I got around 4-6 hours on screen battery life. The Moto G gets 5-7 on screen. Also, I know the Idol 3 didn't support quick charge 2.0 but using a quick charger I was getting a little over 1% per minute charging, way faster than Moto G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-11-22-57-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-22-57-16.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_2015-08-11-22-57-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-22-57-11.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 99

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. How is double tap to wake. My gf has the idol 3 5.5'' and this is a major laggy issue. Her 5.5'' was super quick and fantastic battery at first but things slowed down quick. Also camera takes blurry pics in non-outdoor daylight environment. More issues include not receiving group messages at all. Double triple, quadruple, etc text messages being sent and income.....or just not being sent at all. Text message timestamp way off.
Many users on reddit have had these issues as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeRpax1Vj8A

^this guy gives the idol 3 5.5'' over the moto g.
While my gf does like her idol 3 for the most part, the screen is too huge. I'm looking into either the 4.7'' or moto g. She'd like a better camera so I'm leaning towards the G

Can you post a picture of the Idol 3 next to the moto G and 2013 moto x?

Megsh

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Been playing with the Idol 3 4.7 for a couple of hours. Just some quick impressions.

The phone is small and extremely light. Like Moto X 2013 small. So that's nice.

Also it's not as fluid as the G but really really close. No real bloat, just AVG antivirus.

The screen is sharper, more colorful and brighter.

Speakers are louder and its dual speakers. NFC and Gyroscope works.

Comes with a nice JBL headphones like the 5.5 Idol 3.

Has a notification light (white led only).

Stronger vibration motor, the G felt weaker.

Posted a pic next to my old Moto X 2013 and a "Nexus 6" for scale.

eadcc110483f522de1fac3713250cfdd.jpg
Guys I just want to say that moto g3 does have a LED notification light. Its just not operative. I came 2 know this when I was clicking a pic of it. Maybe you guys too can check this out by placing ur phone under bright light and seeing it through other phone's camera lens. U will see a small led bulb flickering. Its visible in the pic ( next to hearing speaking)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Double tap to wake works better than the Idol 5.5. Though I didn't have that phone for that long and some updates might have fixed that. No text issues, I use the new Hangouts 4.0 and rarely do I do group texts.

The Moto G is in between the size of Idol 4.7 and 5.5. I found 5.5 too big also.

As far as camera. The Moto G auto hdr is nice. Low light is not the best though but the new dual led makes it usable. The Moto G and Idol 4.7 is about the same. No real winner. I like the manual control s of the Idol. Setting shutter speed and iso makes it easier to do low light with a steady hand. That's what I loved about the G4, that had the best manual camera.

I would say try them both, they have standard return policies without restocking fees through the manufacturer.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
XDA was looking into this. But they got it only enabled if rooted and while charging.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I would say try them both, they have standard return policies without restocking fees through the manufacturer.

Motorola only has a 14-day return policy (from the date of delivery), so beware of the shorter time frame on any Moto G test run. Alcatel/Amazon have a 30-day return policy.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried inserting a micro SD card greater than 32gb in Moto G? It says it supports upto 32gb but will greater capacities also work or not?

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
64 gb works and so does 128 per Phil Nickinson. Just have to formated to fat.

Idol 3 also takes 64 gb ( that's what i have) and up.

tooter123

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you control the LED Notification light on the Idol? Besides turning on and off like Samsung has done.

Last edited: