Today I purchased the Moto G, sim free, from the Carphone Warehouese. yes I know they're a bunch of complete and utter *****, but it's convenient and I need a cheap daily driver. Anyway. I picked up the phone, took it home to set up (didn't even get a plug - just a USB lead!!) and, in the bottom of the box was a large, what I can only describe, as a Microsoft phone battery!!. Actually, that's what it is, a Microsoft phone battery My initial reaction was...........WTF?

After my initial WTF, my thoughts turned to how could this even get in a box of a brand new ( I hope) phone, of a completely different manufacturer?

I just don't know, I have no explanation.

The phone works fine and on close inspection, doesn't have signs of previous use or ownership, but thinking back, the salesperson come out of the back store room with the box already opened. He said he was just making sure it started up ok. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I am wondering why he would open it out of my view? Also, shouldn't the box have been sealed?

Any thoughts? I think I'll go back down tomorrow and ask for an exchange, and ask for a sealed box, and not to be opened by anyone except me.
    09-08-2015 04:05 PM
    Agreed, take it back. Should have been opened in front of you and appears to be evidently a return.

I'm assuming, though, that the original screen protector was intact? If so probably faultless, but perfectionist that I am I would return it.
    09-08-2015 04:40 PM
    They call it "Gutting", the less sold devices will be opened to sell batteries, chargers, etc. Then will have cheaper or not OEM parts put into the box to sell.

I used to work at a cellphone store that did this.

The phone is likely brand new.
    Sent from my 640 using Tapatalk Classic.
    09-08-2015 06:07 PM
    Well, I took it back, to another store I might add. The people in there were completely different, i.e helpful, and understanding and apologetic for the actions of their comrades in the other local store - they indeed confirmed the phone sold to me was a returned item. (I decided to keep my cool rather than go apesh*t. It wasn't the person who I was now talking to's fault.

Anyway, they exchanged it without question and bought a new phone in a 'sealed' box out from the back store room and opened it in front of me, as requested.

I'm happy now.
    09-14-2015 05:40 AM
    They call it "Gutting", the less sold devices will be opened to sell batteries, chargers, etc.
    You mean like one of the best selling phones in the USA (and probably elsewhere) last year?
    09-15-2015 10:37 AM