Moto G3 Canadian version and Band 12, VoLTE

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I am quite confused and somewhat concerned about the issue of Band 12. Does the Canadian version of the Moto G have band 12 or not. My reason for this concern is that I am traveling to Florida (from Canada) for Christmas, and after some reading I have concerns about whether or not my phone will work. I subscribe to Roam Mobility which uses T-mobile when in the U.S. The Motorola website indicates that the U.S. version of the Moto G 2015 DOES NOT use band 12, while the Canadian version DOES. I initially thought this was a good thing. But after some digging it appears that because I have band 12, but do not have VoLTE, I may not be able to make calls on the Moto G3. From what I am reading if band 12 is in use, it will not drop back to 2g/3g for phone calls. The calls won't work on T-mobile band 12 because it is used for Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) which the Moto G3 does not have. Can anyone confirm one way or the other if the Moto G3 Canadian version does or doesn't have band 12, and will the Moto G3 work on T-Mobile in the U.S. Thanks for any help you can offer. Gotta get this figured out!!

GC

Lantesh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
When in the United States on T-Mobile Type *#*#4636#*#* in to your dialer. Click on phone information, and scroll down a bit. There is a pull down menu where you can change the preferred network. Change it from LTE/GSM Auto to WCDMA Preferred. This will manually drop you down to 3G, and will stick until you reboot the phone, or manually change it back.

Posted via the Android Central App

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I am quite confused and somewhat concerned about the issue of Band 12. Does the Canadian version of the Moto G have band 12 or not. My reason for this concern is that I am traveling to Florida (from Canada) for Christmas, and after some reading I have concerns about whether or not my phone will work. I subscribe to Roam Mobility which uses T-mobile when in the U.S. The Motorola website indicates that the U.S. version of the Moto G 2015 DOES NOT use band 12, while the Canadian version DOES. I initially thought this was a good thing. But after some digging it appears that because I have band 12, but do not have VoLTE, I may not be able to make calls on the Moto G3. From what I am reading if band 12 is in use, it will not drop back to 2g/3g for phone calls. The calls won't work on T-mobile band 12 because it is used for Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) which the Moto G3 does not have. Can anyone confirm one way or the other if the Moto G3 Canadian version does or doesn't have band 12, and will the Moto G3 work on T-Mobile in the U.S. Thanks for any help you can offer. Gotta get this figured out!!

GC

I use metropcs, which is on the t-mobile network.
When I was looking at getting the nexus and the motox pure I found out some things about band 12.

Motorola has not registered for use of band 12 on the t-mobile network. The phones have the radios needed inside and everything could work if Motorola decides to play ball with t-mobile on this issue.

So you would not have WiFi calling. It also helps when making calls indoors and or near the edges of the coverage area.

Posted via the Android Central App

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Just in case anyone is interested, I was in the Orlando area for 2 weeks over Christmas and my Canadian version of the Moto G 3rd gen worked fine on T-Mobile (Roam Mobility). I had LTE connection most of the time. Never had any calling issues whatsoever. Was on Skype with family back home while riding a roller coaster! So if anyone has any concerns about the Canadian Moto G 3rd Gen working on T-Mobile, the service is fine. I realize that VoLTE is not in use, but I still don't know if my phone was using band 12. If I had to guess, I believe it did use band 12 for data. So I do believe band 12 is still active on the Canadian Moto G. I could be way off base on that, but it's just a guess.

GC

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Just in case anyone is interested, I was in the Orlando area for 2 weeks over Christmas and my Canadian version of the Moto G 3rd gen worked fine on T-Mobile (Roam Mobility). I had LTE connection most of the time. Never had any calling issues whatsoever. Was on Skype with family back home while riding a roller coaster! So if anyone has any concerns about the Canadian Moto G 3rd Gen working on T-Mobile, the service is fine. I realize that VoLTE is not in use, but I still don't know if my phone was using band 12. If I had to guess, I believe it did use band 12 for data. So I do believe band 12 is still active on the Canadian Moto G. I could be way off base on that, but it's just a guess.

GC
Should have installed app called LTE Discovery, it will tell you band your using currently.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&token=dQT8Ezve

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, and I did think of that while I was there. But I guess I was having too much fun to take the time to install!! If only to find out for sure if the Canadian Moto G has band 12.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49