How do I use the voicemail on this phone? I currently have at least one unheard voicemail, but I don't see any way to access it, or even tell how many unheard voicemails I have.

I setup my password and OGM by calling my own number, etc. The system appears to be working on the carrier's end, as my friend claims she just left me a message. Google search turns up a lot of legacy or unrelated carrier specific instructions, or details for calling into the system, but nothing that helps here.

Thanks!
    11-20-2015 01:05 PM
    Assuming it's setup correctly, long press 1 from the dial pad, or install your carrier's Visual Voicemail app. This has been the way since long before Android was even a thought.

That being said, you should get a notification of a new message, tap it and it should dial into voicemail for you.

If none of this works, your voicemail settings are incorrect in the dialer settings
    Ry likes this.
    11-20-2015 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Ace.

>long press 1 from the dial pad

That's just calling in to the voicemail system. That's working fine. But this is not 1997; I'm trying to do it the modern way, by managing voicemail on the phone, non-linearly.

I do see that my carrier has their own visual voicemail app I can install. I had been under the impression that "visual voicemail" meant speech-to-text, but it appears to be the term for what I was thinking of as simply a "voicemail app."

Apparently the paradigm is that voicemail, including on-phone apps to manage it, is the province of the carrier. So the Android OS simply doesn't include a way to manage voicemail?

That blows my mind. It's a phone! The designers included a vast library of interactive maps connected to a global satellite network capable of determining position accurate to within 1 meter as a default feature, but not voicemail?
    11-20-2015 02:45 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Ace.

>long press 1 from the dial pad

That's just calling in to the voicemail system. That's working fine. But this is not 1997; I'm trying to do it the modern way, by managing voicemail on the phone, non-linearly.

I do see that my carrier has their own visual voicemail app I can install. I had been under the impression that "visual voicemail" meant speech-to-text, but it appears to be the term for what I was thinking of as simply a "voicemail app."

Apparently the paradigm is that voicemail, including on-phone apps to manage it, is the province of the carrier. So the Android OS simply doesn't include a way to manage voicemail?

That blows my mind. It's a phone! The designers included interactive maps connected to a global satellite network that determines position accurate to within 1 meter as a default feature, but not voicemail?
    Voicemail itself is a dead technology, like faxes. Your example of maps is not part of the OS, but an app like your voicemail app. Bare android does not do mapping, install CM or an AOSP ROM and don't flash Gapps and you will see what bare android really is.

But to answer your question, yes, your carrier is responsible for voicemail and any app to manage it. This is the same for Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, and every other device, although many carrier branded devices have these apps pre-packaged into the device.
    Ry likes this.
    11-20-2015 03:00 PM
    >Bare android does not do mapping

We're not talking about bare android, we're talking about stock android. Or at least what comes default on the Moto G.

>Voicemail itself is a dead technology, like faxes
    >This is the same for Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, and every other device

I know expertise and self-assurance seem to justify condescension and hyperbole, but let's get the facts right. iOS includes native visual voicemail. As does, apparently, Android as of Marshmallow. Pretty prominent support for a "dead" technology.

I've learned a lot since I first posted. Maybe I should re-title my thread to "What Visual Voicemail Do You Use on Your Moto G?"
    11-20-2015 03:44 PM
    Tone it down please. Thanks.
    11-20-2015 04:00 PM
    I didn't have a voicemail app on my Nexus 5X when I started it up. I installed Google Voice.

As for the iOS point; Apple controls everything about the OS. Google left Android open and any OEM can do almost anything they please.
    11-20-2015 04:02 PM
    >Bare android does not do mapping

We're not talking about bare android, we're talking about stock android. Or at least what comes default on the Moto G.

>Voicemail itself is a dead technology, like faxes
    >This is the same for Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, and every other device

I know expertise and self-assurance seem to justify condescension and hyperbole, but let's get the facts right. iOS includes native visual voicemail. As does, apparently, Android as of Marshmallow. Pretty prominent support for a "dead" technology.

I've learned a lot since I first posted. Maybe I should re-title my thread to "What Visual Voicemail Do You Use on Your Moto G?"
    I meant no disrespect... and did not mean to come across arrogant. I do work in the telecommunications industry, as a commercial telecommunications systems technician, and have been installing and maintaining phone systems, voice mail servers, SIP servers, and all sorts of other telecom products for over 20 years. In the personal market, voicemail and fax is dead... in the professional and enterprise environment, voicemail is alive and well, just more about desktop or email integration than actual voice mail, although faxing is dying, so I do understand what you are saying.

iOS has a voicemail application embedded, provided the carrier supports it (not all do), and the app is customized to the carrier branding of the device. It is important to note that Apple is a closed environment, they force certain restrictions on carriers who sell their products.

An interesting note here, I also help out a friend who owns a pizza place and deliver for them off and on... I work with many "young" people by comparison to myself, if you call most of their cell phones and they don't answer, you will get the rather rude message "This customer has a voicemail box has not been setup. Goodbye"

On a side note, I am glad you found an app that accomplished what you needed.
    11-20-2015 04:58 PM
    I'm a little late to this conversation, but thought I'd reply anyway. As was already stated Android does not have a default voice mail app like iOS, so Motorola has nothing to offer you when you buy direct from them. Carrier phones come with the default carrier app, but when buying an unlocked phone like the G3 direct from Motorola it is up to you to install your app of choice. Motorola has no idea what carrier you will be using the phone with when you make the purchase.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-22-2015 11:22 AM